Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig Rascal 40 - Ground handling Bad?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig Rascal 40 - Ground handling Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Rascal 40 - Ground handling Bad?

I fly a Sig Rascal 40. Converted to EP too. I always feel that it has bad ground handling.
The tail wheel never stays straight even if the plane rolls straight. Someone suggested that I replace the spring connectors (between rudder and wheel) with music wire , bent in middle like a 'V'. So I did that on one side. Not a big difference still.

I bought my rascal 4 yrs ago. Anyone has this issue?

Tks747
Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig Rascal 40 - Ground handling Bad?

I flew one Rascal about 2 months ago and loved it. I did not notice any bad tracking on the ground and it may as well have a tail skid as opposed to a wheel as it does not spend much time on the ground. Yesturday I purchaced my own Rascal because I loved the one I got a chance to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58890.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1029760  
Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Watch your tail wheel when your taxiing, and see if the spring wire is flexing too much and not pushing the tail wheel to the side correctly. If not then you might want to bend you up some music wire in the same shape that won't flex.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:43 PM

WOW !
wow for the plane too
Well, yours is a 110, mines a 40 size. Rascal is lotsa fun, but doesnt like too much wind I think.

Mine's a EP , I have a 5S a123 pack...works great with <15min rechrg time!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
S. Christensen

For what it's worth, we've routinely flown our Rascal Forty and 110 models in fairly heavy winds. These have been both wheel and float equipped. We haven't encountered any specific wind issues with this design that would make it a "fair weather" flyer. Actually, all the airplane needs is a pilot who knows what he/she is doing.
Scott @ SIG
Old 09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
jetmech05

A friend of mine has one and his ground handling was horrible.....so bad he couldn't get airborne...I did, but it was ugly I looked like a noob...I knew the Rascal had a good rep so I looked it over good....noticed nothing wrong...the only way we could get his airborne was to hold a bit of up elevator on the whole takeoff roll then nose down to gain airspeed once airborne
Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
opjose

As Jetmech05 mentioned, often with tail draggers, holding some up elevator until the plane picks up speed and tracks straight, is a must.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the main wheels. You want A LITTLE toe in (about 1/16" is all you need). It will improve your ground handling.

I have a Rascal 40 with an OS 46FX in it. I have not had any problems with the wind (wind up to 15mph with gusts to 20mph).

Actually, I prefer some wind when flying this plane. Without a headwind she will float the full length of the runway about 4" off the ground (we have a 600' grass runway).

The ONLY way to land her with zero wind is to kill the engine. [X(]
MOST OF THE TIME I can get her to land using an APC 11x5, and I have the idle set as low as I can get it and still have the engine running.