Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What exhaust options for OS 91 surpass?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What exhaust options for OS 91 surpass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What exhaust options for OS 91 surpass?

Hello again guys,

I have never looked for a muffler or header for an engine except for stock. I had trouble with the OS 91 and what I believe is another non stock muffler fitting on the plane without a lot of work. What are my optiond with these engines? Anyone have a good source?

Thanks,
Erik
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: What exhaust options for OS 91 surpass?

Erik,
Slimline makes a Pitts Muffler for this plane:
[link]http://www.slimlineproducts.com/online_shop/4stroke_exhaust.htm[/link] , Part # 4002

Are you looking for a Pitts Muffler for this engine? Or just a replacement for the stock muffler??

Ken
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 PM
ErikElvis

Wow I didnt know they had 4 stroke pitts. That actually may be a very good option. Its for the sundowner 50. The exhaust thats on the engine now is not the stock OS muffler. Its likely from another engine. The guy I bought it from said he had trouble with the original header so he swapped it out. And I planned on running the stock type muffler tucked close to the cowl. Not inside like the manual reccomends. Its just hard to get the header and muffler to go into the engine without moving the cowl all around while doing it. Makes problem solving that much harder when you have 10 odd steps to get the cowl off if you know what I mean. Now with the pitts the only corcern would be how much room I had to install it. I bet it would look good though. It should for the price. Thanks Ken!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go look at Central Hobbies. There are A number of four stroke mufflers and ways to connect them, Central is A great place for those different FS needs.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Erik,
Slimline makes a Pitts Muffler for this plane:
[link]http://www.slimlineproducts.com/online_shop/4stroke_exhaust.htm[/link] , Part # 4002

Are you looking for a Pitts Muffler for this engine? Or just a replacement for the stock muffler??

Ken
Ahh Ken, I wish I had known about this one last year. I built a GP Super Aeromaster and picked up a big radial fiber glass cowl from Fiberglass specialities for it. My 91 head and then the pitts muffler ate most of the right side of the cowl That inverted muffler would have cleaned things up considerably. Next time I guess.

Don
Old 09-11-2008, 12:31 AM
ErikElvis

With that pitts do you have any idea what size tubing to get as to make sure the pipes rout down out of the cowl?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Gray Beard

In the past the Slimlines I have gotten had very long pipes on them and you had to cut them down to size, some of them you had to drill and tap your own hole if you needed the pressure nipple on it. They did give you the nipple though. You can give them A call or email and they will tell you what you may need, if anything.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Daren71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another suggestion, very nice build quality. Daren http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/index.html
Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 AM
ErikElvis

I went for the slimline. That may work out real well. Now I need to figure out what kind of muffler to use for the YS110 on the Minnow. The stock one is rather boring and odd looking. Maybe one of those hatori pipes and mufflers would look nice. I want something that tucks near the cowl though.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Gray Beard

I have A couple of different mufflers for my 1.10s but nothing really cool looking, I have always used the stock one but I was given mufflers that look like they are from cars or trucks?? If nothing else they are shaped different and black. A four stroke lends itself to home mades and custom very well, how about A big bank of zoomy headers?? Just A thought.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:18 PM
ErikElvis

With the sullivan do you think it may cause any probs with engine tuning?