Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Superstar EP and dx7

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Superstar EP and dx7

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
jyurong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superstar EP and dx7

I think I will be getting a superstar EP for my first fixed wing trainer (done heli's for a while). I've been wanting an excuse to get the new dx7 (so I can use it with my cx2), and I wanted to make sure this configuration will work with the Superstar EP:

Spektrum DX7 7Ch DSM2 System with AR7000 Rx & 4-DS821 Servos

Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Superstar EP and dx7

Yes it will work perfectly.

Just get the heli version of the radio so you have the smooth throttle stick and the flight mode switch where it belongs. Its easy to fly a plane with a heli radio, its a nusance to fly a heli with an airplane radio.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Superstar EP is considered underpowered by most accounts. The DX7 would be a nice radio system, but I'd recommend you look at the Model Tech Fledgling II or Sig Kadet 42 EP instead if you're interested in an electric trainer ARF. The brushed power system on the Superstar EP is inefficient and it results in weak power production and short flying times. Find a brushless setup you like and add the radio of your choice.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 PM
BrianSearles

As an owner of the Superstar EP I will give my 2 cents. Sure it is a little underpowered but that makes for nice relaxed flying once airborne. Climb out is plenty strong enough as long as you don't try to climb straight up into the sky. Expect 6-7 min. flight times with the stock 2100 NiCD pack. You will want to have a couple more if possible. The Great Planes 3000 NIMH is a great choice and will result in 10-12 min. flights. Parts are as reasonable as it gets as well. The other planes mentioned would be fine as well but I just wanted to give my opinion having read the same comments before I bought one. It's a great flying plane and you will have a lot of fun with it. The weak areas are landing gear, and the prop can break easily on a rough landing. Also the velcro battery straps are a joke. My solution was to secure the battery with 2 re-usable zip ties. Works much better. Good luck with your decision!