Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

6-32 bolts - wrench

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

6-32 bolts - wrench

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-32 bolts - wrench

I ALWAYS seem to have a problem with 6-32 allen hean bolts. I always seems to strip the head. Ive even gone out looking for an allen key that fits a 6-32 perfectly and couldnt find. Someone please help. Is it me - or is it me!!! What allen wrench size is the perfect fit for these things?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6-32 bolts - wrench

Get a "GOOD" set of allen wrenches, fractional sizes, not metric. One will fit. Check out Use-enco.com They are not the least expensive, nor the best quaility but give a good, servicable product for the price.

Socket head wrenches, especially in the small sizes, are subject to wear. If you think of it, one or two thousands wear on an Allen wrench for a 3/8" socket head screw is nothing. The same wear ont one for a #6 or #4 can cause you grief. As soon as the edges of your allen wrench start to shine, grind off the tip so there are fresh surfaces to match the screw heads.

One area that really drives some people nuts, is socket head set screws. There is not much metal left between the socket head and the tread OD. If you use a set screw that is to long, the socket head is not supported by the internal threads and it is quite likely that you will crack open the socket on the set screw if it is protruting above the surface. Wheel collars are the first culpurt to come to mind.

It is less common for one to strip out the head/wrench on a socket head cap screw. It can be done though with a dull/worn allen wrench. The fix is to grind off the worn end of the wrench and leave a bit of the flashing on the end of the wrench. If it doesn't slip into the head of the screw, gently tap it homee. That is your best fit for a stuborn screw.

Don

Old 09-15-2008, 07:37 AM
da Rock

Local hardware store has 'em.

They also have 6-32 allen heads in bulk.

The wrenches are 17 cents each or somesuch.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:46 AM
da Rock

What size do you look for?

They have a box with 8-10 sizes of allen wrenches.

I take a couple of my allen screws along and test fit all the wrenches. Some fit better than others. Out of the "correct size" box, some fit better.

what size? Jeez, I think the ones I bought were 1/16.

(These are EXACTLY one of the little things that'll drive you nuts. I just recently bought a fist full of those blasted little wrenches and a bag of the blasted screws. A recent big bucks purchase came with what looked like chrome 6-32s and the d**d things wouldn't stay tight and wouldn't grip any wrenches I had. Cost me some more bucks when some of the blasted expensive parts fell off over the corn. So I got some run-of-the-mill iron screws and darned if they don't grip when tightened. And I got extra wrenches to make sure I always have one somewhere.)
Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Stew99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These work just fine on all the hobby grade screws.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE246&P=7]Ball Wrench[/link]

I have all the sizes from 2-56 through 8-32. They generally work in tighter spaces and are less prone to stripping than the L shaped allen wrenches.