Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Decided on my First Set of Wings.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Decided on my First Set of Wings.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:05 AM
F-15J_JSDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided on my First Set of Wings.

Well after some advice from a Japanese Friend, I have decided time to buy my first set of wings, I am getting a KYOSHO Calmato 40 Trainer.

The Kyosho is ARF from what I have read on the net and I like to know what is the best

4ch transmitter (4 servo)
Engine / 2 cycle 40 class
Prop
Spinner
and Starting Tool

To Buy to complete this Aircraft.

I want to get up in to the air as soon as possible, Well after a few weeks on a Flight Sim.

All Advice would be helpful

Thank you in advance

F-15J_JSDF
Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Decided on my First Set of Wings.

ORIGINAL: F-15J_JSDF
I like to know what is the best
Prop
Spinner
and Starting Tool

The OS .46AX is very hard to beat a good combination of power and user friendliness for the engine.

In regards to a spinner I would not use a full spinner at all particularly a plastic one. These typically don,t last very long in the training evironment and can become very ugly quickly with starter burns. Instead a spinner nut like these is not only better looking but much more practical and make a prop change very easy and quick. They replace the nut and washer on the engine.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE158&P=ML

John
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: F-15J_JSDF

Well after some advice from a Japanese Friend, I have decided time to buy my first set of wings, I am getting a KYOSHO Calmato 40 Trainer.

The Kyosho is ARF from what I have read on the net and I like to know what is the best

Prop
Spinner
and Starting Tool

To Buy to complete this Aircraft.

I want to get up in to the air as soon as possible, Well after a few weeks on a Flight Sim.

All Advice would be helpful

Thank you in advance

F-15J_JSDF
Kyosho does offer a Ready-to-Fly version of the Calmato .40 trainer w/ engine and radio installed. It's a good, solid package by all accounts.

If you decide to go with the ARF, the Thunder Tiger GP-42 is a wonderful engine for your first trainer. It's very easy to tune and very reliable. All Thunder Tiger engines come with a three year warranty and you can buy two GP-42s for the price of a single O.S. Max .46 AX (which is also a terrific engine).

Other very good engine choices for the Calmato .40 Trainer ARF would include the Magnum XLS .46A, the Super Tigre G-40 or G-45, the Evolution TPS .455 or .46 NT, the O.S. Max .46 LA, the K&B Sportster .45, MECOA .46 Aero, the Thunder Tiger Pro .40 or Pro .46, Tower Hobbies .46, GMS .40 or .47, JBA .39 or .46, SK .50, Aviastar .46, the Fox .40 Sport, Fox .40 BB, Fox .45 BB Ringed, or Fox .46 ABC two strokes.

A small four-stroke engine like the Magnum XL .52 RFS, Thunder Tiger F-54s, O.S. Max 56FS-a, or Saito .56 would also fly the Calmato .40 quite well, but would require additional work to set up and break in/tune correctly.

I'd pair it with a Dubro 2 1/4" spinner and a Hobbico Nexstar 11x5 trainer propeller. The Dubro spinners come with hex head bolts instead of phillips screws and hold up well over time. The Hobbico Nexstar 11x5 propeller is inexpensive, balanced almost perfectly right out of the package, and the perfect size for .40-size trainers and 2-strokes.

The TT GP-42 would be very easy to start and any decent electric starter from Hobbico, Tower Hobbies, Hangar 9, Sullivan, Thunder Tiger, or Magnum would easily turn the engine over with the usual 12v "field box" battery.

As for which 4-channel radio system with flight pack (servos, receiver, power switch, receiver battery) is best, any of the major brands is a good choice. The Airtronics VG400, Futaba 4YF, Hitec Laser 4, and JR Sport SX400 are all terrific radio systems at the $119.99 price point.

All four of these manufactures offer nice 6-channel computer radio setups with flight packs in the $159.99 to $179.99 price range. You should check out the Airtronics VG6000, the Futaba 6EXP, the Hitec Optic Sport, and the JR Sport SX600. These would represent a smart upgrade if any of them fit within your budget. When training, simple is better, but digital trims are awfully handy to have if you can spend the extra $40 or so.

To actually build the ARF, you'll need some 30 minute epoxy, medium silicon fuel line for glow fuel, thin CA glue for hinging the control surfaces, and some basic tools. To fly the ARF, you'll need glow fuel, a fuel pump and fuel cap kit with more fuel line, a glow plug, a glow plug ignitor, and a 4-way prop/glow wrench.

I hope this list was helpful, please feel free to post additional questions as they come up. Good luck and good shopping!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
F-15J_JSDF

bigedmustafa,

Thank you very much for the information. I am lucky the ARF comes with a GX40 engine already so I do not need to worry about that.

The Futaba 4YF sounds like a good TX so I will go with that, but I will have to look at what my next 2 planes will need as my 2nd plane will be the CALMATO 60 SPORTS and then MITSUBISHI ZERO as my 3rd.

I like this Zero http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OJmx1GYfM but have no idea the maker of the kit, so I have no idea what TX I will need for it, if need more then 4 ch then I will go for the Futaba 6EXP in stead of the Futaba 4YF, if anyone has any idea on the Zero on the YouTube Link, the information would be handy.

I have a open budget for my planes and RC equipment, as I plan on a Tucano as my 4th aircraft, a Skymaster F-15 with Turbine as my 5th aircraft and Skymaster F/A-18F with turbine as my 6th.

My hobby before was building Replica Kit Cars like the AC Cobra(Ford V8), Westfield(Toyota MR2 4Cyl Turbo) and Lamborghini Diablo(Toyota V8), but the price of fuel has killed that hobby[sm=cry_smile.gif] so needed something smaller and cheaper and RC planes are it[sm=teeth_smile.gif], Have a very skilled Pilot here in Japan that will teach me everything about building and flying, so I have all that covered.

The 30 minute epoxy, medium silicon fuel line for glow fuel, thin CA glue for hinging the control surfaces, basic tools, glow fuel, fuel pump and fuel cap kit with more fuel line, a glow plug, a glow plug ignitor, and a 4-way prop/glow wrench are now on the shopping list.

If I have any other questions I will post them here.

Once again Thank you.

F-15J_JSDF