Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Folding props

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Folding props

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
jeffmtnman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding props

Hey all,
I' m brand new to RC planes. Recently purchased a cheepo plane to start with.
3 CH RC Airplane Soaring Eagle TW-739
I've crashed it a few times already and am down to my last spare prop. There is very little or no information about the plane or it's parts.
My problem is, although I have found many folding props for sale online, I have no idea what the numbers mean relative to size. I've measured one prop and found it to be 70mm in length and 17mm at it's widest point but as stated, I have no idea how those measurements relate to the numbers in the ads.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Folding props

Props are specified by length and pitch. A 10x7 prop is a 10" prop (measured tip to tip) with a 7" pitch (one revolution will "screw" the prop 7" through the air). I believe Metric prop specs are in mm instead of inches. A replacement prop should be of the same length and pitch for similar performance and current draw. If you over prop an electric setup, you'll draw too much current and fry your motor, speed controller, and/or battery.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like your model comes with a folding prop.

Those things are in parts. There is a hub and some bits, and a couple of blades. You can usually order replacement blades. With a model that comes as a complete package, it's usually a good idea to stick with identical replacement parts. Replace the blades with identical ones. Do that until you've learned a bunch more about the hobby.

The blades that fit your hub are made to fit it. Other mfg's blades may work, but an experienced modeler should check them out for you. Do you have a local hobby shop?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Have you tried the store where you purchased the plane? A qualitiy hobby shop will be able to order from his/her dealer just about any parts you need for the planes they sell.

Brad
Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, and the blades that are sold with the airplane match the motor to the airplane. Change prop diameter or pitch of the prop on an electric motor and you can cause problems. Electric motors really don't like more load than they're designed for.

There are usually numbers on props. One is the diameter of the prop and is simple enough. The other is what the manufacturer thinks is the pitch of the prop. He thinks that pitch will pull the expected load forward about that distance each revolution of the prop. It's pretty basic and minimal information to have, but it's all we get. And often one mfg doesn't believe what another mfg believes. So you can't take the pitch numbers to the bank.

BTW, the widest part of the blade has a fair amount to do with how the prop works, but unfortunately that doesn't mean a thing in the task to duplicate that props performance versus what other props are available for purchase. And no mfg's list blade widths anyway.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
jeffmtnman

Now I have an understanding of the numbers that manufacturers use, as explained by -pkh- .
My problem still, is that my plane doesn't even have a manufacturers name on the box. No spare/replacement parts list. No information what so ever about the plane itself as far as prop pitch, size of motor, ect. Also, no numbers on the props.
I purchased this plane on Ebay so I'll try contacting the seller. I did find another Ebayer who carrys replacement wings and tail for this exact model but no props. I'll give him/her a try anyway. There are a few hobby shops in the area that I haven't tried yet.
Once again, without any manufacturers info this is going to be a difficult search. I can measure the prop diameter but would still have no clue about pitch.
I do appreciate all the help so far.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Allfat
My Feedback: (1)

One thing you could do is take the whole setup into a hobby shop and see if they have a replacement. And if they don't, then they should at least be able to recommend a replacement part that they do carry.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:19 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a shop that sells your plane. http://www.hobbymega.com/products/pc...52.htm#details How does the prices compare? Call them and ask about parts.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM
jeffmtnman

bruce88123 ........Thanks. I've seen that web page and although I don't need ALL those parts I'll keep it as an option.
As far as price comparison. I paid $48.49 for the plane and controller compared to their price of $74.99.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-16-2008, 06:47 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said, call/contact them and ask about individual parts like props.

E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]
Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BRUCE smile . ENJOY !!! RED