Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine for a Kyosho Focke Wulf 50???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine for a Kyosho Focke Wulf 50???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 PM
zig123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for a Kyosho Focke Wulf 50???

Looking for an engine for the Kyosho Focke Wulf 50. It says .40-046 2 stroke or .52-.56 4 stroke.
Looking at either a OS 55AX or an Evolution 61. Any ideas on the better engine to use? I would like to get a 72 or 82 4 stroke but don't really want that much money in a 40 size plane.

Zig
Old 09-16-2008, 07:38 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine for a Kyosho Focke Wulf 50???

Overall your better off just stick with the recommended range by the manufacturer. If you're worried about cost, stay with an OS .46 AX or TT .46 Pro. I have both engines and they are both great runners. The TT starts on the first flip every time. The Evolution .61 is too much power, and way too much weight - mine .61 will just about hover my Alpha 60 with a 12 X 6 prop.

Hogflyer
Old 09-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been A while sense I have seen A Kyosho War Bird. The .55 AX is A much better engine then the Evo. It will slip right into the nose of anything calling for a .46. Not A real fire breather but it will give you A bit more torque then the .46 and help give the war bird the extra boost it wants. Be nice to see someone pick up the old Kyosho line and start pumping out kits again.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since you asking about the Kyosho FW190 you might want to read the appropriate thread in the warbirds section http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6937171/tm.htm theres loads of information on the plane like 8 pages worth
Old 09-17-2008, 12:27 AM
jeffie8696

Aviatronics Aviastar .53 or a .46. they both bolt up to the same mount. the .53 is a little taller. Really great running engine for the price, heck for any price. And you can swing a really big chunk of lumber with em. [8D] I bet a big 3 blade would work good on one with all the torque. And it would look scale. Yep , love 3 bladed props. Just ask ProbroJoe, he hates em. (so he trades them to me)
Old 09-17-2008, 09:04 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Considering the price of the .55 AX, why not go with a Thunder Tiger F-75s? It's only $10 more than the .55 AX at $169.99:

http://www.thundertiger4u.com/thunde...s-p-13120.html

(Ignore the $185.99, the price is $169.99 once you add one to your cart)

The folks at http://www.thundertiger4u.com ship orders of $150 or more free via UPS Ground.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Gray Beard

Let see now, he asked about the OS or the Evo and already he has been given two other choices on makes and models. And wouldn't you know it, both jeff and big are both wrong, you really should buy yourself A nice new SK engine with gobs and gobs of torque!! Lets see how many other makes and models we can find other then the two you wanted to know about.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:53 PM
bigedmustafa

Hey, he said he wanted a .72 or .82 four-stroke. He didn't say he only wanted a Saito .72 or .82 four-stroke. I simply offered him a .72~.82 four stroke that was similarly priced to the .55 AX two-stroke he was already considering. I wasn't just throwing out a random engine suggestion.

If zig123 will only consider O.S. Max or Saito, then there's no harm in my making another suggestion. The fact that he was considering an Evolution .61 NT hinted that he might be brand-flexible. Too many folks think that Hobbico and Horizon are the only places in the U.S. who distribute RC airplane engines.

Also, I found the picture below at http://www.precision-aero.com/shop/engines/ and they have really good pricing on Thunder Tiger engines. You're welcome in advance for the giant picture!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 PM
zig123

Thanks Big ED- The F75 looks great for the money if it isn't too heavy. It looks similar in weight to the OS 55. I have a Saito F 100 I fly on an Ultra Stick 60 and love the 4 stroke.

Zig
Old 09-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Delta3

It all getsback to personal preferences, I have a PC9 with a 72 Saito in the front, previously had a Magnum 52 and then a Thunder Tiger 54 in it. Now the plane would fly with the smaller engines but the Saito gives it some authority and it will do pretty much anything you want it to. I am looking at purchasing a TT75 to go in a T28 Trojan largely because with the 91 FS it was way overpowered. I have2 x 91 TT FS motors and 2 x TT54 FS motors, all are reliable and powerfull. Personally I thing the TT 75 will be a good choice for your aircraft.

Also have a Kyosho Kelly and a Hein which will get the same power plant when I eventually drag them out from under the bed and build them. Would be interested to know how the TT75 performs in your FW
Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I never had any problems with my Evo's. I recommend this... I'm planning on getting it for my next ARF plane. It won't be too heavy on the nose, it will balance the plane almost perfectly and it WILL fit.

If you over do the size of the motor, you might need to butcher the cowel and that's not cool. [&o]

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0520

Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II
Radio Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of RedNeck R/C- Fulton, NY
Old 09-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Spacemonkey71

The OS is a good choice. They're inexpensive (relatively), reliable, and they last. The ONLY problems I've had with an OS engine related to monkeying around with the Low Idle speed needle valve (but I thin those are a pain on almost ALL engines if they ever get out of whack). An OS engine will last for a LONG LONG time! I've got one that was discontinued in 1982 (a .28) and it runs very nicely.

However, after seeing what I saw a couple of weeks ago I will NEVER again consider putting a .60 engine on a .40 plane. Sure it will "fit" and you can balance it without too much trouble (sometimes none at all) BUT .40 size planes are typically lighter in weight due to size and strength of materials. I saw a guy flying a Tango (which is a .40 size plane) with a .61 on it.... It flew like the Witch's Favorite Monkey until he pulled up sharply at the end of a BLISTERING low pass and we heard a muffled "POP!" like someone snapping their fingers inside a snare drum. That sound was one of the spars snapping in the wing due to the increased load! [X(]

The OS46AX will make that FW-190 BURN through the air! But a 4stroke OS56 (...for ~$300... [] ) will make that Wulf BARK!!!! (on the budget side, there is a 4stroke ThunderTiger54 for under $200 ). A 4 stroke in a warbird REALLY sounds nice and gives it a great sense of scale noise instead of the PO'd weedeater 2-stroke sound.

Either way, I wouldn't be so anxious to "over power" it. (Even though I know Kyosho makes VERY good kits/ARF's). The design specs are there because some engineer came up it with FOR a reason instead of just saying "if it fits, use it" If you want more speed, increase the prop pitch, but again, not beyond mfg specs unless you like tearing up motors.....

Btw, great choice in planes! The FW190's are really nice looking planes and I don't see them very often in the air which makes them a little more unique on the flight line than the P51, P40, P47, and even P38's.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 AM
zig123

Went with the TT .75 4 stroke for $169. Some of the guys say they are flying this plane with .82's, .91's. That's probably a bit overpowered but the .75 with a 3 blade 11x7 scale prop should be fine. I won't do any quick pull outs from high speed dives to see if I can pull the wings off. Thanks for the suggestions.

Zig
Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 PM
bigedmustafa

zig123 - Congratulations on the engine decision. Post some pictures as you make progress and let us know how the project turns out.

gray beard - Aren't you glad that I helped with that Thunder Tiger suggestion?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 PM
jeffie8696

MMMMMMM ,,3 blades. [sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Gray Beard

And A fine choice it is!! I still think he would have liked the SK though. I haven't seen A TT four stroke sense I quit wearing high buttong shoes, I didn't think they were still making them anymore, guess I'm falling behind the times.[&o]