Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Should I buy it?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:17 AM
fly boy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy it?

I got a friend at school, he says his dad has a cessna,the way that he was describeing it to me was that it was a giant scale cessna, he said that it was about twice as big as my trainer, and it has a o.s 40, he said that it was crashed once and the only damage was a broken prop, it comes with everything, engine,etc, i don't know how old it is and he said that it was only flown once, so should I buy it and save it for a second plane or third, i'll try to get pictures as soon as i can, and how hard are they to fly
Old 09-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Should I buy it?

I don't think a giant scale Cessna would have a .40 engine in it - that's small for even a .40 size trainer.

How much and what's included?
Old 09-20-2008, 02:25 PM
smokeyser

Totally depends on which cessna, how much, and what kind of shape it's in. As garcfield said, giant scale planes usually don't run on .40 engines. I'm guessing the kid at school has never seen anything bigger than the 12 inch static models at the toy store, so anything over 24 inches is "giant scale". I was the same way before visiting a hobby shop for the first time. Also keep in mind that while many people learn to fly on full scale cessnas, they're not all trainers or even good 2nd planes. Cessna has made a lot of different planes over the years and some could probably be a handful. So it does make a big difference which model it is. Make sure you check it out before offering to buy it. All that being said, buying planes used from other people in the hobby can often lead to some great deals on nice planes. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 PM
fly boy2

no my trainer has a 40 on it, and he said its about twice as big as it, sorry for the confusion, i dont know what cessna it is, I want to go and see it, he said they gave around $300 for it, i dont know what condition it is in
Old 09-20-2008, 11:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Based upon what info you have given which is nothing other than size and that certainly is no indicator of worth. No one here could give you any idea of this things worth or suitability for your use or whether or not you should buy it.

You need to fill in a lot of blanks before that can happen.

John
Old 09-20-2008, 11:27 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: fly boy2

no my trainer has a 40 on it, and he said its about twice as big as it, sorry for the confusion, i dont know what cessna it is, I want to go and see it, he said they gave around $300 for it, i dont know what condition it is in

And if it originally sold for $300.00 equipped, the chance that it REALLY is "Giant Scale" is slim to none.

No as already stated, it sounds like a bunch of people with little RC experience talking about aircraft they know little about...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
fly boy2

ok, maybe its not a giant scale, what is a considered giant scale, is it over a certain engine size or wingspan?, I may try to ride to his house on tues. and see it and then let you guys know, i'll take pics and see what ya think
Old 09-21-2008, 06:55 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

i'll take pics and see what ya think
Every guitar player has the dream of finding the 50's strat at a garage sale, every motorcyclist hoped to stumble on a panhead in a barn. Hopefully this is your RC equivalent and it turns out to be a great plane. Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is a considered giant scale, is it over a certain engine size or wingspan?
From the IMAA website
:

What is Large or Giant Scale?

The concept of large or giant scale is generally considered to apply to radio controlled model aircraft with minimum wingspans of eighty (80) inches for monoplanes and sixty (60) inches for multi-wing aircraft. Ducted Fan and Turbine aircraft with one hundred forty (140) inches combined length and width, measured from wing tip to wing tip at the widest point perpendicular to the fuselage and added to the length of the fuselage, excluding any protrusions. Autogyros with 50 inches for a single rotor, 80 inches for a dual rotor. Quarter (1/4) scale replica's or larger with proper documentation (minimum 3 view drawing of an actual person carrying aircraft) which do not fit the size requirements will be permitted. However, the concept does not encompass radio controlled model aircraft so large as to have the potential of carrying a human being.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
fly boy2

well then I own a giant scale pattern plane , taurus plus, about a 84 in,
Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Missileman

well then I own a giant scale pattern plane , taurus plus, about a 84 in,
Giant Scale, aside from size, also means it is a scale model of a real full size aircraft. (Like the cessna you are looking at) So a SIG Kadet Senior ARF, for example, with an 80" wingspan is not giant scale. (at least that is the way I understand it)
Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Fly Boy, You can't own a giant scale pattern plane. Not possible. Pattern planes are limited to 2 meters, which is below the 80" IMAA requirement... unless you have a bipe design, which are extremely rare in pattern, and the Taurus is not a bipe.

Missileman, read the IMAA requirements posted in #9. To be giant scale, as per the IMAA, which is what we all pretty much go by, the plane only need to meet a size requirement. It can, but doesn't need to look like anything. A Stinger, heck for that matter a flying pizza box could be giant scale if it is large enough.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnW
<<snip>> ...To be giant scale, as per the IMAA, which is what we all pretty much go by... <<snip>>
er... there may be some debate about that. The term "Giant Scale" is not copyrighted by any entity, and is now being used to refer to big model airplanes of almost any kind.

A few days ago I actually heard the term "Giant Scale Morris the Knife."

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
fly boy2

I said ABOUT 84, I know its big and its a pattern, it may not be giant but its big
Old 09-23-2008, 12:20 PM
opjose

At that size with a relatively TINY .40 engine, this has to be a lightly loaded trainer.

It may LOOK a bit like a Cessna, but it's likely just a big trainer, or a "Telemaster" type RC aircraft.

It still MAY be a good deal...

How about posting pictures of it and all of the included items.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Scar

<<snip>> ...To be giant scale, as per the IMAA, which is what we all pretty much go by... <<snip>>
er... there may be some debate about that. The term "Giant Scale" is not copyrighted by any entity, and is now being used to refer to big model airplanes of almost any kind.

A few days ago I actually heard the term "Giant Scale Morris the Knife."

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
IMO The term "scale" refers to a proportionally accurate replica of another object. So please show me where I can get a "full scale" Morris the knife, I think it would be fun to hover on into work

Either way the OP here will get his questioned answered when he can provide more detail and preferably some pictures. We like pictures
Old 09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The bottom line is the OP Knows absoulutey nothing about the subject airplane other than a vague referance to being big by a someone who is not knowledgeable and therefore it impossible for any one to answer the original question. The OP was talking about a forty in his trainer not the subject airplane.

Giant scale is whatever you want it to be that is not the question, flyboy2 from your posts it sounds as though your only interest is the bigger the better the value well that is just about the worst reason to buy an airplane and it is not always the case. Never make a buy decision based just upon size.

So if you are still hot for this thing whatever it may be then start filling in the blanks.

John
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Gary L.

heck for that matter a flying pizza box could be giant scale if it is large enough.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 PM
fly boy2

no pics yet but, I got another friend who has seen the plane and he says it looks like a 172