Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ocean City NJ Air Fest

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ocean City NJ Air Fest

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:31 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ocean City NJ Air Fest

We (Atlantic County SkyBlazers) were hosted by the City of Ocean City, New Jersey today. We have been hosted by OC for the past several years. And we usually put on a pretty good show for them.. we know this because they always invite us back and want us to insure that we will do an RC demo.

Well, we sure wow'ed them this year.

Last Spring, we talked it over and bought a Flying Thingz Flying Lawnmower. Roy Wilson, our club President and builder extraordinaire, put the thing together. I provided an OS 50 FX and Brian Tindall provided servos and a RX. Brian flew it.

We planned on having the lawnmower for the first of the flights with a little skit. I was faking pushing it as though I was going to cut the grass, Roy was the announcer, started yelling at me to get off the field. Of course, I had to "cut the grass" so I argued with him, let go of the mower and started to walk toward him. Brian was handling the transmitter, so when I walked away from it, he took over, taxied it to the runway.. I turned around and faked running after it.. Brian took the thing off and flew it around. You should have heard the crowd. That set the rest of the afternoon.. we could do no wrong!!!

We had a pattern demo, a large scale flight, a couple of war birds (F-16, AT-6) and other sport flying with gas, fuel, and electric.

We got a "standing" ovation when we walked off the field after an hour of flying. What a day, and what a great day for RC!!

Oh, Brian the Lawnmower pilot, and also the Enforcer, F-16, and AT-6 pilot, was wearing an RCU Tee Shirt and I had my RCU cap.

I may have some pictures tomorrow, and if I do (someone will upload them to me) I will post a few.

Why is this in a beginners forum? Well, it goes to show you beginners that there is a lot that can be done to show off the hobby. We did a great job and got some real great recognition from the crowd. Always fun to get the appreciation for a great showing.

CGr.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Ocean City NJ Air Fest

What??? No video or pictures?????

Ken
Old 09-20-2008, 10:11 PM
housedad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I MISSED this?

Bummer......
Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

You're making me home sick! I spent just about every summer of my youth in OCNJ, we lived in Philly but had a house in the Gardens.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have some pictures.. in fact, lots of pictures. I will post some as soon as I get them orgainzed.

Andy.. yep, you missed a good one.

Marc Angelucci brought his 30% Edge 540 Gasser. He was delighted (as we all were) when a full-scale Edge 540 landed and taxied over to near our hanger and parked it. WOW!! What a treat that was.

CGr.