Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

mode 1 or mode 2?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

mode 1 or mode 2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:52 PM
dr don

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mode 1 or mode 2?

Hi to all, I am trying to decide which mode to use. was trained on mode 1, several years ago, but to me as a pilot of full sized aircraft, mod 2 seems more logical. I am an electronics tech by profession, and just converted one of my transmitters to mode 2 to try, but was not as easy as I thought would be, even though are rated and fly full sized tail dragger with stick!
Do flyers think there is a trend towards mode 2 ?, or do you think mode 1 will be with us for a long time yet?
Your comments appreciated
Old 09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: mode 1 or mode 2?

most in the states use mode 2 but from reading alot of post from australlia use mode 1
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Redback

Both Mode 1 and Mode 2 are likely to be around for the foreseeable future, and each have their supporters.

Most people go down one path or another based on what instructors are available. Flying full size generally does not help when learning to fly RC, some even say that it can be a handicap

Regards

Terry
Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As was said above, a lot of what mode is used depends on where you live and where learned to fly. Here in the US Mode 2 is what about 98% fly. Other parts of the world fly Mode 1 instead. Converting between Mode 1 and Mode 2 is usually fairly easy as most of the major radio manufacturers will provide instructions for converting between them.

Ken
Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 PM
bjor

There's a 3 page thread on this in the Radio Forums.
Just stand back and watch the comments fly.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1802229/tm.htm

At the end of it all, Fly what mode you feel more comfortable. Also need to fly what mode somebody is happy to train you on. I didn't know there was a mode 2 until after I learnt to fly. At my club the vast majority of the flyers and instructors were mode 1 so I didn't get much choice.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:45 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I learned on mode 2 so I'm definitely biassed, but to me, mode 2 is much more intuitive for helicopters, since cyclic pitch is on the right stick, and collective pitch and rudder is on the left. I learned to fly planes after helis, so that mode 2 seemed natural to me for them as well.

I'm sure whatever you learn on will seem intuitive to you, and you'll stick with it. If you're just starting out, find out what the majority of the guys use in your area, and find out what the instructors use that you will be learning from.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 PM
jetmech05

the best arugment mode 1 vs mode 2 to me would be to use the mode most of the people around you use...here in the states it would be mode 2...because if you have a problem...something in your eye, bee sting, or a cramp, whatever you can yell for help pass your transmitter to a bud and feel comfortable that he at least has been using the same stick inputs off of the same thumbs as you....imange trying to fly an airplane with aierons where the rudder should be.....
Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 AM
alfredbmor

When I learned to fly it was mode 1. I flew for a coupe years and I quit, when I came back mode 1 was a thing of the past so I had to relearn to fly now in mode 2 which was easier to me. By then my instructor was able to fly in any mode and I learned that, now I can fly both modes but I feel more comfortably in mode 2.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

We have a pattern flyer here in OKC that flys all his stuff mode 1.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
abacro

Here's a new twist on the Mode's of the transmitters. I was taught by my dad to fly rc back in the early 70's. I fly what i call Mode 3! It is the standard Mode 2 stick configuration of stab on the right stick,but here's the twist, i push up ( as in toward the antenna) for up,and pull down ( toward trannies bottom) for down. Y ou should see the looks and hear the jokes i get at the club and fun flies i go to when they see and hear how i fly! I'm always told i fly backwards! I say,nop i dont,you guys do! Who pulls down on a stick to go up? lol lol Best of all is the fun i have,then flying others planes the way the resyt of the world flies, I.E., pull for up and push for down. Yes i can fly both way's,and teach new pilots to fly the way everyone else does. But for my own planes,i prefer my way of up is up,and down is down. I guess what i'm really saying is ,fly what ever way you feel the most comfortable with!

Good Luck

Art
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM
jetmech05

now that is really backwards....at least to a cockpit..where stick to ya is up
Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
carrellh

Art,
I'd just say your setup is Mode 2 with some servo reversing. The "standard" Modes 1 - 4 are pictured below. I use Mode 3 as shown in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69033.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1038514  
Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM
abacro

I'll agree,but man i love it!. And to be honest,if i'm in a real plane and the nose is going down,i'm not only gonna pull the stick,or yoke into my lap,i'm gonna grab the prop to and yank it up! lol lol
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Herb Calvin

Art, I don't think as pulling trans. stick up or down. I a full size plane i.a Piper cub, it's pull back you go up, push forward you go down. Same as on trans. My way of thinking.