Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How the heck do I build this thing?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How the heck do I build this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM
sokar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the heck do I build this thing?

I have a Magic Extra 20/480 that has been sitting in my closet for a couple of years now. I want to try to build it, but I don't know how. I'm horrible at building RC planes. When I made my first attempt about 2 years ago, I constructed part of the body according to the manual, however when I looked at it the wings looked crooked. I followed the instructions to the letter, which left me confused. After thinking about it more, I put it away. Now I want to make another attempt, however I don't want to be confused again by poorly worded instructions. Is there another website, or video that will show me how to construct this? Is there another source of assembly information?

If I can't figure this out, I'm just going to sell it.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How the heck do I build this thing?

I have a Mini Magic Extra ARF. From what I can remember, it went together like most other ARFs. Is this your first ARF build? If so, this is not a beginner airplane. If you have specific questions about the assembly, I can try to answer them (I assembled mine a couple of years ago). From what I remember, the control rods were junk, I bent my own out of music wire. The engine mount sucked too, I used my own. I actually mounted an OS .25 FX on mine, it's a real screamer, but have to limit flights to 5 mins due to the tiny fuel tank. Not much room to put in a larger tank either. The photo below is before I shoehorned the cowl on over the .25.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44326.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1037522  
Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCKen and Minnieflyer have put together a web site that Im sure could help It appears at very beginning of this forum.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:03 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The instruction manual is usually the best resource for most planes from the better manufacturers. If I recall, Modeltech does a good job with instructions. Follow every step exactly as it is spelled out and you should have no trouble.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Redback

Assuming that we are talking Modeltec Magic Extra here they go together pretty easily if you follow the instructions. You need to use some thought when installing the radio gear as there is not much room in the fuse above the mid wing.

You don't mention your flying experience. The Magic Extra is a great flying plane but is not a beginners model, and is built to fly not to crash. As mentioned before the fuse is very narrow and will break easily if treated roughly.

Flys great though (did I mention this?), think I want another

Terry
Old 09-21-2008, 07:24 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Now that Redback mentioned radio placement, you'll notice this plane has an access panel in the tail of the fueslage. I actually put my battery and receiver back there to balance mine out. As I said, I put a .25 size engine in mine, so depending on the power system you choose, you may or may not want to consider putting the RX & batt back there.

I also put on larger diameter wheels than what came with the ARF to roll better on grass airfields. I used narrow, light-weight plastic wheels that Maxx Products makes for electric planes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75810.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1037820