Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

looking for a SMALL high wing plane with ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

looking for a SMALL high wing plane with ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:37 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looking for a SMALL high wing plane with ailerons

I have a couple larger trainers, but I'm looking for something small that I can fly in a park - but I don't really want a toy. I was looking at maybe building the Hobby Lobby micro Telemaster, just wondering if there are any other good options. Something maybe in the 30" - 35" wingspan range?

Don't mind if its a kit, ARF, or RTF really, preferably the former since I have tons of radio and electronic stuff.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:49 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: looking for a SMALL high wing plane with ailerons

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2250
Old 09-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Spacemonkey71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out RC Planet and look for the Mini Ultra Stick. Or the Ultra Stick 25e. It's an electric "stick" plane that's pretty small, but VERY fun to fly! The "Ultra" series can be rigged with flaps so you can "crow" it (flaps up, ailerons down)

If you're looking for MICRO sized craft Kyosho just came out with a Piper Cherokee that comes as RTF and it's under 20" wingspan (like the Micro Citabria and the Micro Cessna) BUT this one from Kyosho is completely unique - it has fully functional "scale" ailerons making it an ACTUAL micro sized 4 channel flyer. I think it's selling for $179 complete with controller, battery, motor, esc, etc.... all packed up. Basically you take it out of the box and plug it in and in about an hour, you're ready to go.

Other "small" 4 channel planes that are fairly inexpensive are the ParkZone T28 Trojan RTF and the ParkZone Corsair RTF. Both are a TOTAL blast to fly and I haven't found ANYONE who regrets buying one. They're just PLAIN FUN ! (and remarkably agile too). These cost about $250 and also come with EVERYTHING you need including a controller + battery that actually has High and Low throw settings! (I was really shocked to see this feature on a "buget" controller). They're NICE planes and right about the size you're looking for. You can just toss it in the back seat (or passenger seat they're so small) and get out whereever you are and fly! No hassle and no extra "field equipment" needed.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:19 AM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you want something small but check out the "smaller" cubs from hanger 9. Im pretty sure they have a plug and play. I saw one today. It will fly as slow as you want and seemed to be very forgiving.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 AM
sheograth

Mm lots of good options, the Kyosho one seems intriguing, anyone have a link?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Spacemonkey71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the kyosho piper cherokee:
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...o_1=10751RS-BL

they have them in red and blue (this is the blue one). To my knowledge, this is the ONLY "micro" plane on the market with 4 channels (throttle, rudder, elevator, and ailerons). The package (controller, charger, batteries, plane <complete with motor, servos, esc, Rx>) is $179. It's got a wingspan of 410mm (16.14 in) and a length of 335mm (13.19 in) and a weight of 27 grams. It's actually built to scale (1/24) with all parts TO that scale (including the width and length of the ailerons).

I think they also have some kind of cable/device (?) that allows you to link their transmitter (2.4Ghz spread spectrum) to YOUR "usual" controller so you can temporarily "convert" your trusty familiar stick-box to 2.4Ghz and use it to control the plane. That's a nice feature and not something most people would think about adding, but if you think about it, you're probably used to the way your controller feels and moves, the resistance points, smooth points, etc... so with this "converter" you don't have to get "re-learn" another Tx's "quirks".

I personally think the plane is SUPER neat because it's got all 4 "standard" channels instead of being like MOST micros that only have 3 (rudder, elevator, and throttle). I'm thinking about it just because it would be something I could fly up and down my street (i have almost NO traffic going by my house, even though it's in the middle of town) and chase the neighbor's 20 cats [>:] Right now I'm using a Mini-XPV from Walmart for this, but it's only a 2 channel toy plane and kinda hard to control (but it's still embarassingly fun )
Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM
sheograth

Hmm I'm tempted to give the Kyosho one a try, if it flies decently it should be really fun.

I any pick up a micro or mini Telemaster kit too, theyre so cheap that I can't go wrong.