Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Solo !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Solo !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:44 PM
TakingFlight96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo !!!

Finally, after the hard work of building the trainer, working on the sim for 9+ months, and learning more and more about this hobby I Soloed. Anyway, tonight me and my dad went over to his friends house, before we went over we noticed the great flying weather, so, we loaded up my trainer and my dads SIG Mayhem. So, we went to his house and then after a couple hours, out to the field. When we got their I took out my Nexstar and put er together, fueled her up, and got her ready to go. Then I went up on the buddy box w/ my dad, I got in the pattern and flew around like I would normally. As I was coming around my dad reached over and pulled the cord, thats when I really started to shake, I flew around a few more circuits and then came landing. My dad said that was the slowest Nexstar landing he had ever seen, It just crawled along slowly and a beautiful 3 pointer. I taxiied in and got the plane back to the bench. Still being in shock I let a couple of other people fly, then Leonard started to mention the Mayhem (which is a VERY popular plane out at our field, their was 4 their tonight) So, my dad then asked "do you want to go up on the Mayhem " and at that point I thought he was just kidding, well, he wasn't. My dad got er in the air and handed my the radio, it surprisingly flew like a trainer, just slow and easy on low rates. I still am in shock and my dad is just so proud of me. I don't know if you could technically call it an official solo, considering my dad took her off and then pulled the cord, but, I do. Just am so excited and so proud of myself I couldn't help but to post it.

TF96
Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Solo !!!

Congratulations. Not too many things are more fun than a first flight.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good on you! You are blessed to have a Dad to share the hobby (and he is blessed to have a son (or daughter! [sm=red_smile.gif] ) who is interested).
Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Takingflight,
Good job!!! Soloing it just about the best feeling in the world. Give yourself a pat on the back, you earned it.

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31695.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	1038054  
Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations, nothing quite like the feeling of a first solo in this hobby.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 PM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

just a note to you all. im the proud dad!!! a correction needs to be made however, taking flight96 is my daughter. so we need a
that a girl!!! she has done an excellent job and will probaly be making me look bad real soon!!! thanks to all for your encouragement
of my daughter. andrew wisc.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 AM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

Congratulations on your solo flight! I am glad to hear that you flew Nexi (I believe that is her name) all by yourself.

Ken, I think you need to make a new sign. It isn't often that we need to use the word "girl" in this hobby.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:57 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Andrew,
Sorry for the mix up. I've corrected the certificate and uploaded it above.

Ken
Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 AM
mcmcintyre

Congratulations - To both of you.. TakingFlight96 you have accomplished something that not very many of your peers will ever come close too. Not just flying, but mastering something that requires patience and skill. Too many young people today become frustrated when they have to deal with variables outside their control (think wind, etc.). I'll bet that "Dad" really considers himself a lucky man. Keep up the good work.....
Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Missileman

You Go Girl
Your dad is very proud of you as are we.
I have a teenage daughter myself that is working on her wings.
Way to go.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, we need Bev to chime in with her words of wisdom! Come on, Bev..

Congrats, TF96! Get a few take-off's in now, and of course, the take-off's must equal the landings.. or something like that..

CGr
Old 09-22-2008, 04:07 PM
TakingFlight96

Much thanks to everybody. It took a lot of work to get to where Iam today... I just wanted to say thanks to first of all my dad, I don't know where I would be in this hobby without him, and secondly to everybody on here whos ever thrown in their opinion and helped me out. I'll hopefully be going out to the field within the next couple days and I'll keep workin on improving my take-offs, and try my hand at right hand turns, figure eights, and whatever else. The buddy box radio I was on previously didn't have any expo and had poor quality gimbles, so, when I was flying around w/ my futaba I could tell a HUGE difference, and it may take a lil bit of getting used too. Wish me luck ! Thanks again.

TF96
Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this young lady and I'm the friend they came to see before going to the field. I am so proud of her and all the work she has put into this hobby. She also is an avid fan of the P-40 and now I think it's time for dear old dad or myself to build her one. Although I know how she likes to be involved in building it would be best for her dad to do it this winter. All in favor say I! CONGATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry
Corsair Brotherhood #4
Alias Corsair Kidd
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM
TakingFlight96

Thanks, Barry ! Yeah, I'm already thinking 3rd plane I still got a little ways to go before that. Thanks for the kind words.

TF96
Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Congratulations Takingflight96,
Your first Solo you will never forget, and what makes it even more special is your Dad was standing there with you when you did it, That is something you both will charish the rest of your lives.
I am going to try and get my 10 y.o. Daughter to solo, but not until next summer. Shes been going to the flying field with me since she was three y.o.
I am an Itermediate pilot and working on my Unlimited status, and plan to have Dave Scott at 1st RC Flight School in Shawano Wi help get my daughter started, I just dont want her to learn to many bad habbits. Of course I will be right by her side when she solo's.
I've known Dave Scott since 1985 when I first solo'd, Dave Scott is a true friend and great instructor.
I'm not putting down that your dad helped you, that is one of the best thing a father can do for there sibling interested in RC, and builds a bond and closeness that will last a life time. Anyway, again Congratualtions and hope you have a great time and advance promptly in this great hobby.
NEDYOB
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 PM
TakingFlight96

Thanks nedyob. You make some wonderful points. The hobby of RC Flying is great, but, having a father to do it with makes it even better. When I was born, my dad named me after the P-40 Warhawks Allison v12 engine, so from the very beginning flight and aviation has been in my blood. Not only do I love to fly RC but, iam very intrigued by the full scale (especially warbirds ; WWI, WWII, etc.) On my dads side of the family, aviation was a big part of life for them, my uncles currently a full scale pilot. Hopefully I will have a career in aviation. Because I'm still young I don't know yet, but, whatever I decide to do I know my dad will support me 100%. I'm sure that as I progress in this hobby, this is one event I will not soon forget, im sure my dad won't either. I'm still in shock, and I'm sure it'll take a week or so to get this big smile off my face Best wishes for you and your daughter.

TF96
Old 09-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Gary L.

Woo Hoo way to go !!!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 AM
TakingFlight96

Just a little update on how everythings going. Over the past couple of days I've gotten out to the field and the winds weren't the best. I went up anyway, the take offs were much better ; but, the landings were okay, I killed er once. But, at this point shes in one piece so, I'm not going to complain. Hopefully, Today me and my dad will go out after he gets off of work. I'm looking out the window as I type this and it doesn't look that bad, its a bright sunny day and the trees are barely moving. But, its Wisconsin, anything can happen. Just thought I'd post an update for those intrested.

TF96
Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 PM
TakingFlight96

I went out to the field tonight and tonight was surprisingly calm for being fall up in Wisconsin. So, when I first got their I got the plane out and ready to go, and my dad got er going ; I took off, flew around, and landed. Then I went up again and I did the same thing but, I tried something for the first time - a Loop !!! Then after flying around awhile something in the engine just wasn't sounding right so, I landed her. Out at the field tonight Leonard had a Midstar and their was talk of the SIG Mayhem .40 and I was just wondering if these would be decent 3rd planes ? Does the Mayhem .40 handle like the bigger Mayhems ? Thanks.

TF96
Old 10-12-2008, 02:58 PM
TakingFlight96

Today I went out to the field and flew my 2nd plane, the Phoenix Dolpin .40 and after some adjusting she was flying good. So, anyway today I completed 1 loop, 1 aileron roll, 1 4-point roll, and I went inverted. My dad had mentioned me trying an Immelman Turn sometime. Could anybody explain to me what exactly an Immelman Turn looks like and the steps it takes to complete it ? Thanks.

TF96
Old 10-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: TakingFlight96

Could anybody explain to me what exactly an Immelman Turn looks like and the steps it takes to complete it ? Thanks.

TF96
Hello TakingFlight. I am not sure what a Immelman Turn is. Is he talking about a reverse immelman, maybe?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:01 PM
ClintAus

An Immelman turn is a half loop followed by a half roll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immelmann_turn
Old 10-12-2008, 06:02 PM
TakingFlight96

hdwideglide03,

I still being kinda a beginner in the aerobatic sense, he didn't mention anything about a "reverse" Immelman Turn. Although their was something mentioned of "positive" and "negative". I honestly have never even heard of the reverse Immelman Turn. This might be a subject that might get a couple more responses if I post something regarding this in the 3D or Sport Flying catergories.

TF96
Old 10-12-2008, 06:07 PM
TakingFlight96

ClintAus,

Thanks for posting the link. Although now that I think about it is the Immelman Turn the same thing as a Split S ? Thanks.

TF96
Old 10-12-2008, 06:13 PM
ClintAus

A split S is the same thing in reverse. You roll inverted then pull up elevator, so you lose altitude rather than gaining it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.