Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Well I did it....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Well I did it....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Warnberg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I did it....

I took my plane out last weekend to fly, had a trainer to teach me... unfortunately they did not have a trainer/buddy box, so I had the teacher take my plane up to test it out and trim it out as well...

So I had to wait until this last weekend to fly, it just gave me another week on the Sim... Got out to the field, it's a little breezy but not too bad. I get everything out of the truck, setup the plane, test everything, fuel it up and go find my instructor. He comes down looks everything over, we hook up the buddy box and test it all out, everything looks good so I fire up the plane.

Get it to the runway and he takes off, tell me "I want you to fly it around a bit, then do some figure 8's for me"... me "OK no problem" after about 3 minutes of that he Say's "You flown one of these things before?"
me "Well yeah about 25 years ago and it only flew once"
Teacher "OK, well start shooting an approach for me, like you where going to land but keep the plane up about 200 feet"
So I do that about 10 times, I hear him next to me saying "Nice job, very nice, good recovery, OK bring it down a bit"
So I did... after about 10 minutes he takes over the plane and lands it

He Say's to me, "fuel it back up and take a 10 minute break I'll be right back."

After 10 minutes or so he comes back, with his buddy this time, and Say's to me "Let's do this again, this time I want to show you how to come in over the trees"
Say's to his buddy "Watch this"
So we start the plane up again and he takes it off and shows me how to do an approach in over the trees... he Say's "you think you can do it?"
me "sure"
So I shoot a few approaches from the other end of the field over the tree line, then he Say's "You think you can do a take off"
Me "Sure, shoot I think I can land it"
Teacher "OK well land it"
His buddy "Oh boy"
Teacher "Don't worry I'm right here and will take over if you get into trouble"
So I take it down wind, come in over the tree's and land the plane... it bounced a little but no damage, grass fields are touch to land on without bouncing and the wind was kicking up a bit so the plane had a tendancy to bounce around a bit...
Teacher "Nice job, let's get the plane start it up and do it again"
Me "OK"
Buddy "How long you been flying?"
Me "First real time to land an RC plane, but I do have 40 hours of private pilot instruction and have soloed"

So we start the plane up again, Teacher... "OK your turn to take off and land"
Me "Uhhh, OK I'll try"
So I take the plane off, circle around the field a few times, announce landing, take it down wind, over the tree's, come it a little hot and land the plane and of course it bounces in again. I go get the plane and come back.
Teacher "Well that's good for today, I told you when we started it would take you about 10 to 15 times to solo and be on your own, well I am changing my statement, with the way you handle the plane we will do one more session and if you can do the same things you did today I'll sign off on your instruction and you will be on your own, nice job. By the way where and how did you learn to do this?"
Me, "Well I got Real Flight G4 about 4 months ago and have been flying every day on the computer for at least an hour a day"

So next weekend, it will be another lesson and hopefully my last lesson!!!

Needless to say, my adrenaline was pumping a bit. After getting home and cleaning up my plane all I wanted to do was sleep!!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Well I did it....

You could SLEEP after that???

Congrats!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're well on your way. Good job!! Let us know how the second session goes. We are all anxious to hear the great words... " I'VE SOLO'ED!!! "

CGr
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Stick 40

Good job, I've heard about guys like you. Its good to hear it again. It took me two months to solo, but then I am a little slow!!!!!

Good luck.

sticks
Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Missileman

Well done
Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 AM
alfredbmor

Now you can try this:
While practicing at your RF Sim, before you take off, take your controller and randomly move the trims of the ailerons, elevator and rudder, then take off and see what happens, next, try to trim the plane so it can be flown safely, land it and then check your trims, they must be on center or near the center. This is more like a real airplane reacts.
Congrats. for your first flight.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 AM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Warnberg

By the way where and how did you learn to do this?"
Me, "Well I got Real Flight G4 about 4 months ago and have been flying every day on the computer for at least an hour a day"
It's amazing how much a sim can help. When I was learning how to fly I didn't even know there was such a thing as an instuctor or where to find one so I had to teach myself. As expected, I wasn't getting anywhere. I decided to buy a sim and after working with it for awhile I went out and tried the real one again. This time I got it up and back down in one piece.

They aren't exactly like flying the real thing but they are close enough.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:28 PM
2slow2matter

Make sure (if he hasn't already) that your instructor goes over EVERY safety detail imagineable. Like, how to tune the engine, how to properly start the engine, how to properly restrain the aircraft on the ground, etc, etc, etc. These are very important lessons that you CAN'T get on a simulator. Remember, it is important to bring your plane home in one piece, but it is WAY more important that you, and everyone around you, goes home in one piece also.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Warnberg

Well I am on for Saturday Morning 9:30 AM at the field for my checkout flight and solo probably.....
Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well I am on for Saturday Morning 9:30 AM at the field for my checkout flight and solo probably.....
Good luck. And let us know how it all turns out!!

Ken
Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck.

Just remember to keep your mind on the airplane, not what people around you are saying and might be thinking.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Warnberg

I did it....... got to the field around 9:00 am, got all setup and ready to go, instructor came over checked everything out and asked me if I was ready for the day.
I was a little nervous but I was ready.
We started the plane, He told me the plane was all mine so I took off and asked him what he wanted me to do.
"Do a couple of figure 8's then some high approaches"
I didn't even get one figure 8 done and he say's "Ok shoot a high approach, about 30 feet off the deck"
So I did
"Now do it from the other end"
So I did that too
"Now from the same end but from the other direction"
So I did that too
"Now land the plane, your choice on which direction as there is no wind today"
So I came around lined it up and landed, it was a little long but I didn't bounce it or kill the engine.
"Now take off again and do it again"
So I turn the plane around get lined up and take off
"Ok, now land the plane from the other end"
So I turned the plane around got down to the other end of the field, lined it up and landed. This end is over the tree's... little more difficult
of course the plane bounced a little and the engine stopped but it was still in one piece.
"Ok take a little break here a minute I need to go talk to a couple people"
So I wait till the plane cools down a little bit, fuel it back up and am ready to go.
Instructor comes over and say's "I was trying to get the president or the Vice president of the club to come over and fly with you and give you a checkout but they just want to watch. So here is what you have to do, start the plane up, taxi it out, take off, land from either end, then land coming in over the tree's from both the right and left side. In the meantime there will be three other planes flying around here, so watch for them and announce you intentions"
So I start the plane and do my thing.... No issues, did one go around as I was a little hot and high on one of the landings from over the tree line.
I get done, come over and he says "Where is your card, we are in agreement you are no longer a student"

So I am free to fly anytime......
SOLOED
Old 09-29-2008, 04:58 PM
pdm52956

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome feeling isn't it?! I solo'd in June and I can't remember anything that felt that good in a long time..........well, maybe not but it is still an awesome feeling to have. Good job!

Paul
Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Spacemonkey71

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like you REALLY nailed it! [8D] I'm looking forward to my "solo" day (who knows when that will be at this point; I don't have a job and can't afford an AMA card right now (it's either EAT + Mortgage+power or AMA; I hate that I don't have a card, but as SOON as I land a job, That's the 2nd thing I'm going to do ( the top spot remains having LOTS of "marital relations" )

You did GREAT! Happy FLYING BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Warnberg

Thanks All,
I can honestly say that the flight sim helped. I spent an hour a day for about 4 months on the flight simulator learning to fly. It taught me thumb movements to get the plane to do what I wanted it to do without having to think much about it. It really does help. Once I got just flying and landing down on the sim, I worked on landing where I wanted to land, then I kicked the wind up and worked some more, then wind and turbulence up and practiced some more. I have soloed in two days worth of lessons and my plane is still in one piece.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Ryan I.
My Feedback: (4)

Congrats!! [sm=thumbup.gif]