Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

rudder repair

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

rudder repair

Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
joco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rudder repair

i had a ruff landing with my tribute 36 and the top hinge on my rudder pulled out on the rudder side its still in one piece but its in the fuselodge the bottom is still in and not hurt my question is how do i go about repairing this?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: rudder repair

There are two ways to repair this. The first way is to try to reglue the existing hinge back where it belongs. The second approach is to cut off all the hinges and re-glue new hinges in new places. The first method is less work if you can do it. If you can post some pictures that would help. I'd use epoxy glue. What type of hinge is it? Does it have a metal pin like a door hinge? Or is it a "CA HInge" made of a fabric-covered plastic strip?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

If it is a CA hinge, you CANNOT reuse the slot because the wood has already been hardened by the first round of CA and will not take the new glue. Also, do not use epoxy on a CA hinge. Make sure you know what type of hinge it is.
I would personally never reuse any hinge slot. I would cut any remaining hinges off with a razor (if possible). then cut new slots above or below the existing hinges and re-hinge it that way.
pics would help, and I'm making the assumption that they are CA hinges, especially this being an arf.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 PM
joco1

yes they are ca hinges , and i realized i couldnt repair it so i cleaned the hole and both hinges out i got it all cleaned out and was figureing on replacing them in the original hinge slots but they are quite a bit larger from where i cleaned them out but the hinges still fit tight ............i dont think there is enough room to cut 2 new slots! do you think i can still replace them in the same slots and be successful?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Joco,
No, you won't be able to replace them back into the same slots. There are only 2 results that will happen if you try this. One is that you will put the hinge back in to the slot with the wood all sealed from the CA previously applied to it, in which case the hinge will not adhere to the wood and will pull out. Or second, you will dig the slot out so that you have fresh wood but the slot is too wide now for the hinge, so it won't have a good grip and will pull out. If you have two hinges that are broken/pulled out your best bet is to simply start over. Cut the remaining hinge(s) and free up the rudder. Get new CA hinge material and make up new hinges. Cut new slots right next to your old slots and re-hinge the rudder in the new slots.

I know that this sounds like a lot of work, but it's going to be your best bet for a repair that will hold and not put your plane in danger.

Ken
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 PM
joco1

i havnt done anything yet but i was wondering if there is any way i could put 2 hinges together and fill the extra room in the slot ive got the dang slot kinda wide now[>:]!!!! i dont think another slot will fit beside the old one! do you mean beside the slot or below it ...........ive got room to put one good slot in the middle, between the two .
Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You can't double up the hinges and put them in the slot. They won't hold and will pull out. Another option you have it to get nylon hinges and use epoxy to apply them in the existing slots that you have.

Ken
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 PM
joco1

ok thanks for the info .....i would have messed them up for sure!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 AM
da Rock

One fairly simple way is the hinge method that's been around as long as models have had hinged surfaces.

Actually, thinking back there are two simple ways that'd work, but I bet you don't sew. So.................

We used to glue a strip of material to one side of the fin, slip it through the hinge gap, and then glue it to the rudder. Then do another strip immediately below that strip. They'd touch. But the 2nd one would start on the opposite side of the fin, and wind up on the opposite side of the rudder. You'd wind up with the entire hinge line hinged and have the look of checkerboards, sort of.

You can use Ultracote or Monokote to do the same thing. But they have only one glue side. The fabric didn't have any, so you provided the glue. So to use film, you have to make strips that have the glue side on one side for half the strip, and on the other side for the other half of the strip.

It works great.

I'll look around for an old picture. Because unfortunately, the model that got the up-to-date old hinging is no longer. No, the hinges didn't fail. It got shot down.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM
RBacio

I understand what you are saying. "Remove the old CA hinge and there is not enough room to fit another on either side of it." I've been in this situation plenty of times. I remove the existing CA hinges and there is usually enough room between the hinge slots for HINGE PIN type hinges. Robart, DuBro, GP, etc. They are almost as easy to install as CA hinges. Good Luck