Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Advice on 2nd Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Advice on 2nd Plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
parkpilot01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 2nd Plane

I've got kinda bored of my Ripmax Trainer 40 now, and I'm looking for something better. I'm looking for a plane that would be available in the UK and would fit a OS 46AX engine. Ideally, I'd like it to be a scale plane and capable of aerobatics (big list of requirements). I've been guided to the Seagull Pilatus PC9 and the Chris Foss Wot 4. Any other ideas?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Robert A.

Default RE: Advice on 2nd Plane

Hi mate,
I'm in the same exact same boat! I've been looking at a Tucano (phoenix models) 40 or preferably something a little bigger, maybe the .60 version but having trouble finding one in a UK model shop. I'm going to keep looking as I want to make sure I've explored as many models as possible. Maybe we could come up with a list between us? Any 'Yes, that planes a beauty!' or 'Steer clear of that!' from the pro's would be nice!

So far I've found;

Seagull Pilatus PC-9
Phoenix Tucano 40
Phoenix Tucano 60
Airsail Chipmunk
Blackhorse Chipmunk
Hangar 9 T-34 Mentor 40
VMAR SA Bulldog RAF & Swedish Liveries
Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just came back from the field and maidened A Sig Mid Star 40 for A friend, very good second plane, not sure but it may be A kit only plane. I also tested a lot of the 4* series and it's another good choice.
From your list the only one that really jumps out at me as an advanced trainer is the T-34 Mentor, another outstanding advanced trainers. I don't even like to use the term trainer in this except being second or third planes that's pretty much what they are supposed to be. One club I belonged to and another I flew at had the H-9 T-34 racing class so it sort of tossed that trainer title out the window. It's A very good stunter.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:13 PM
parkpilot01

Yeah that sounds cool, I'd love a warbird but I'm concerned on how hard they would be to fly. The review of the Seagull Pilatus on here says that with a 40 size engine its a great second plane but theres problems of elevator flutter. The Wot 4 seems good as well but I think its a kit build. Just looking at the Phoenix Tucano and it looks identical to the Pilatus, and the planes on your list are beauties, but do you think they'd be easy enough to fly? I seen the Hangar 9 Piper Cub 40 as well - its got a 80" wingspan [X(]. We'll have to see what the more experienced guys say, but making a list of planes between us seems a good idea.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:40 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The World Models T-34 makes a great second airplane and can still be fun as you advance. It technically isn't really a scale airplane so it has some pretty friendly characteristics. Another option might be the Great Planes Cherokee .46. It will fly great with your engine. A Seagull Spacewalker might work well too.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:37 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I'm looking for a plane that would be available in the UK and would fit a OS 46AX engine. Ideally, I'd like it to be a scale plane and capable of aerobatics (big list of requirements ). I've been guided to the Seagull Pilatus PC9 and the Chris Foss Wot 4. Any other ideas?
You may also want to consider the Great Planes Cessna, which may be a little more stable. Although the manufacturer considers it a good second plane, it is still a high-performance machine that is very capable of aerobatics; it is not for beginners. Unlike your trainer, the Cessna will need a little more airspeed on landings and takeoffs, with more shallow climb-outs and approaches. You will also find the ARF to be a bit more challenging to build and set up, so patience is a good virtue. The PC9 might be a step beyond the Cessna, as it will not be as forgiving. Landings will be hot, and it may go into a spin that you can't get out of if you lose too much airspeed.

I took a look at the Chris Foss site, and the Wot 4 that you were referring to. That may be a better choice than either the PC9 or Cessna. Good luck.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-01-2008, 02:22 PM
parkpilot01

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I've found out that my local model shop no longer sell the Chris Foss Wot 4 [:@] but its a kit build anyway.I've looked at the Great Planes Cherokee but I don't think its available in the UK.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:45 PM
WoodNitroRubber

Tower hobbies Fun 51. On low rates it flys like a trainer and on high it can do everything in the book.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:23 PM
parkpilot01

I've found a UK model shop that sells the Wot 4. Although its not exactly a good looking plane it should be a good second model, and more than capable of aerobatics. Its a kit build, but I think that would be good experience but Id mess up the covering big time . Take a look at this [link=http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=209]Sussex Model Centre[/link]
Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 PM
tunes079

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the hanger9 twist, or a tower hobbies uproar. I own both, and are terrific fun fly planes. Very forgiving and easy to land also
Old 11-02-2008, 01:40 PM
HollywoodHitman

I have an Hangar 9 , Pulse XT40 with an OS 70 Surpass II on it. I keep telling guys at the field that had I known how versatile it was when I got into the hobby a couple years ago, I might have skipped the trainer and gone with this. There seems to be very little I can't do on it, and everyone remarks at how good it looks, sounds and flies.

Well worth it. The other one to check out is the Pulse XT60 and slam a Saito 100 in it....Very nice!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 PM
carrellh

Hangar 9 has a Cherokee
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...xd.asp?id=5404