Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for Instructor/Mentor in Central Arkansas Area

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for Instructor/Mentor in Central Arkansas Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:00 PM
hemib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Instructor/Mentor in Central Arkansas Area

Hello, I am a complete rookie to RC aircraft and am looking for an Instructor in central Ark. area.I am 48 years old and am a Federal Security Officer.I have a Great Planes Perfect Trainer 60 with OS .60FP,converted to taildragger with functional ailerons. I have a Spektrum DX7 radio system. I am an AMA member and will join your local RC club.
I know there are several local clubs but do not know which ones are noobie friendly and how well fixed they are for Instructors. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Instructor/Mentor in Central Arkansas Area

The best thing to do is visit the local clubs and talk to a few people. You probably already have the AMA club finder bookmarked but here it is again
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Using zip code 72204 it finds 7 clubs within 25 miles. Some have web sites and all have a contact phone number.

Even though they all have an "Email Contact" link I recommend using the phone. People change email addresses and do not think to ask the AMA webmaster to update the page. People tend to keep a phone number for a long time so you're more likely to make contact via phone.

You need to find out when people are likely to be at the field so you can check it out and get a feeling for the overall atmosphere. This time of year there may not be a lot of flying going on. My brother and I went Saturday and there was one other person at the field.

Once you get there, don't be too shy. Most of the time a new person is noticed and a member will introduce himself and start a conversation. If that doesn't happen, introduce yourself to at least one person. The people there may not know you're new. I started the 'new guy' conversation recently with someone and found out he had been in the club for almost a month and was already a very skilled pilot. I only get to fly on Saturdays and he had been flying on weekdays after work.

The PT-60 is a really good plane. I've had two of them. Unfortunately I am not a skilled pilot and the first one did not survive; and the second one needs pretty substantial repairs.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A search of the [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx]AMA Charted Club[/link] database shows 8 clubs within a 25 mile radius of Little Rock.

MARCS
RANDY WOMACK
2000 CANTRELL RD
LITTLE ROCK AR 72202
Phone: 501-372-0373

HENDERSON RC FLYING CLUB
MATT LAMAR
104 KODIAK LN
JACKSONVILLE AR 72116
Phone: 501.834.4014

N LITTLE ROCK R/C FLYING CLUB
ALLEN SHANE
8116 TOLTEC DR
N LITTLE ROCK AR 72116
Phone: 501-834-9596

FRATERNAL ASSN OF RC MODELERS FARM
ALBERT ARENDT
10014 PROSPECT LOOP
LITTLE ROCK AR 72209
Phone: 501/565-8693

ARKANSAS SKY TIGERS
STEPHEN PIERCE
SARATOGA DR
LITTLE ROCK AR 72212
Phone: 501-868-4702

FIRST ARKANSAS SOARING TEAM
RONALD STANFIELD
OAK RIDGE DR
MAUMELLE AR 72113

CENTRAL ARKANSAS MODEL AVIATOR ASSOC
ROBERT RICHARDSON
PO BOX 216
BAUXITE AR 72011
Phone: 501.315.5595

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hemib- your in luck - The Henderson Flying Club loves to get newbies to come an fly with us. I can't tell you how many students that we have taught to fly. We are located in Sherwood on Trammel Road - get off at the exit by Gander Mountain, turn right at the light onto Trammel road - go 1/2 mile (you'll be surrounded by a swamp, but take a left at the the first dirt road (you'll see the sign) . We fly almost every weekend (weather permitting) from about 8:00 am to around 12:00. This is due to the sun getting in your eyes late- we are a morning club. You can ask for Dean or Chris. We'll be happy to get you started. Hope to see you there - I won't be there this weekend, but most weekends you can find me there. If you decide to come out- bring a your plane, radio (make sure you tehm charge it first!)and AMA card - we'll get you flying.