Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

first plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

first plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Evan T.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first plane

wat do you guys think i should get... hanger9 alpha 40, eflite apprentice, parkzone j-3 cub brushless version, hobbyzone supercub, micro citabria, centurion 210, vapor, ember or any other suggestions i fligh helicopters right now and kinda want an affordable but good plane thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: first plane

I'd recommend the Hangar 9 Arrow 40 size. It is a great trainer. Also, get with someone who flies to help you keep it in one piece while you learn.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

My advice would be based on your previous plane experience, if you have help or not, where you are going to be flying etc. The Arrow 40 would be fine if you have some experieced help and a trainer box, but the Hobbico Avistar is a better flying plane in my book, and $100 cheaper! If you don't have help, are trying to learn by yourself, and have a small area to fly in(soccer field or smaller), then the Super Cub would be my reccomendation!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Evan T.

wat do you guys think i should get... hanger9 alpha 40, eflite apprentice, parkzone j-3 cub brushless version, hobbyzone supercub, micro citabria, centurion 210, vapor, ember or any other suggestions i fligh helicopters right now and kinda want an affordable but good plane thanks
What is your goal? If it is to seriously get into glow and gas planes, go for the Alpha or something similar. If you just want something to screw around with in the neighborhood park now and then then the Super Cub is a good option.

Another good option is the Tower Hobbies trainer: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS2&P=0 or the World Models mach-1: http://airborne-models.com/html/prod...p?ProductID=15
Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you fly glow or electric helis,, support equipment might make this easier....Rog
Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Evan T.

i fly electric helis and i kinda want the alpha 40 the most and i can bind it to my dx6i
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Alpha 40 is a great flying trainer. Price is the only reason to consider other options, but the Alpha 40 is a good value so long as you can afford the cost of admission.

Edit: On second thought, getting an even bigger glow trainer, like the Alpha .60, might be a better investment. You could go with a larger bird for better stability. The Alpha .40 is one of the very finest .40-size glow trainers on the market, however. So price and size are the only reasons to consider other options.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 AM
HEMICUDA

Evan,

If you're near a RC club ask around if anybody has a used trainer to sell. I bought my Alpha .40
used RTF for $125 off an older gent who was selling all his planes. It came with everthing except
fuel, it had the 4 futaba servos, RX/TX , flight battery .46 OS engine and one serviceable Alpha .40
Granted it didn't look new but it was still wearing it's factory covering and flew well after we got the
trim set and the bugs worked out as it had been sitting for 2 years. (not acutal bugs of course!)
If your not flying at a club, stay with the park flyers like the Supercub.

Hemicuda