Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

good computer chargers? and hobbycity questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

good computer chargers? and hobbycity questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:57 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good computer chargers? and hobbycity questions

well its time to buy a computer charger
i just need something that will charge nicd/mh, lipo, lion, and pb
smallest battery's nimh's 100mah, and small lipo's 3's 300mah. the biggest batteys are a pb 7 ah, 4200 nimh and 2200 3's lipo
i also need something that can tell me the capacity of the batteries (discharge function) to "weed out" bad cells.
i was looking at
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...cer/discharger

im looking at getting a indoor plane for the winter months (flying at school gym). i was looking at the gp riot or one of their foamy's (yak54)
any other seguestions?
i was looking at powering it with a tower pro outrunner and a 350-500mah 3's lipo from hc
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...047_Prop_Combo

btw are any of the servo's from hc worth it? their are so many of them a little guidence would help. (for indoor plane and future .40 sized planes)

thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: good computer chargers? and hobbycity questions

I don't know too much about chargers, but I know [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKSY1&P=ML]this[/link] is a good one. Comes from a local vendor, with discounts and possibly free shipping, and prompt and friendly service.

Could use some other input to see if it does EVERYTHING you need it to do; I've got a few friends with this charger and they love it, but not sure about lipos/balancing etc.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:13 PM
exeter_acres

the Multiplex is a great charger... I use mine all the time...

I also really like my Bantam e-station BC-6.... so much that I have 2 of them!....

great stuff

FWIW, the one in the original post looks like a clone of the Multiplex, which is a clone, of the THunderpower, which is a clone of the Hyperion...and so on, and so on...

for an indoor foamy... keep it under about 8 ozs....
if you want to get serious, look at Fancy Foam... the Vrolet, or the Vantage are very nice.....

4oz ready to fly can't be beat!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
The Ghost

Jimmy, I have been usinh Hobbycity stuff for a while now and had no problem with them. The charger will do what you want, but I don't know the discharge limit, should be around MAX 5Amps as that what most are. Can't tell you about the motor combo as I have never used it but all the ones I have got have been great. I have used [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6608&Product_Name=D-MG16_Metal_Gear_2.9kg/.08sec/18.8g]These[/link] with no problems. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 12-06-2008, 05:03 PM
jimmyjames213

that vantage looks really nice i think ill get that. is their any structural differences between the milled version and the 3mm foam. i will most likely crash quite a bit learning aerobatics. so the stronger or most easy to repair would be the best.
i might try those servo's in the foamy they are 18.8grams. . the towerpro outrunner is 52grams and its esc is 20 grams battery 32.4g.
some of these servo's are only 8 grams however
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...&ParentCat=189
Old 12-06-2008, 05:34 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know several people who have bought this inexpensivd Turnigy charger from hobby city and everyone claims to love it: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

I'm not in need of a new charger at the moment but I'd consider this one if I were.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

i was looking at powering it with a tower pro outrunner and a 350-500mah 3's lipo from hc
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...047_Prop_Combo

btw are any of the servo's from hc worth it? their are so many of them a little guidence would help. (for indoor plane and future .40 sized planes)

thanks
For a small plane or foamy that motor/esc combo will work just fine.

I picked up a couple of them when they had them on sale for $11.00.

No problems what-so-ever.

I've also have had no problems with the 8 & 9gr servos, although I'd caution you that some of the smaller plastic teethed servos can have their teeth break easily on planes that exert a lot of leverage on the servo.

Usually this happens during a crash, on a small 3D foamy type plane that is set to high throws.

The crash can strip the gears.

At the price of some of these servos though ( $.6.00/ ea ) I merely replace the servo with another instead of investing in metal gear ones.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
jimmyjames213

ok thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

I have a Bantam BC-6 and love it. It will do what you want plus you can use AC or DC for input. Also, if you are using AC Input, the DC input leads have 12 VDC which can be used also. It will discharge/charge up to 5 cycles with one push of the Start Button and tell you how much it discharged/charged on each cycle.