Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Electric plane for beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Electric plane for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:56 AM
emory.griffith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric plane for beginner

Last summer my 11 year old my son bought a plane from Walmart. He spent the summer at an old ball field flying it. His control was limited to slowing down one motor to make it turn, increasing or decreasing both for climbing or landing. I had a great time watching him fly and smile. This Christmas I wanted to get him a step up. I have been reading reviews, but still not sure what to get. I hope to keep it below $100. I watched a video of a plane called, Wing Dragon. Is this something to start with, or is there another plane that would be more suitable. Any advice, including where to buy, would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas! Emory
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electric plane for beginner

This is a smaller version of a popular airplane from a good manufacturer that sells for $119. It is what i would recommend: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4800

Here's another option from the same company: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ2600

You can get these direct from the company online or do a dealer search on their site to find a hobby shop in your area.

With either plane you'll get great factory support and available repair parts. Be careful of some of the deals you might find online. Some may fly great, some won't. Most will leave you out in the cold if something is wrong with the plane though.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some more form another good manufacturer and retailer:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKLV7&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXUVS3**&P=0

Be sure to check out the discount codes on the home page: www.towerhobbies.com
Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 PM
mbennett

If you are looking for a good trainer that is very affordable, check out the Sky Fly 2. A friend of mine has one and it is fabulous. It is well constructed and flies easily. It can take a bit of abuse without any problem. You can get it from tower hobbies.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

The Phantom is a nice little 3 channel beginner plane ($85):

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4700

I've heard the Slow-V is nice as well ($99):

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1300
Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Witterings

I've never flown one but I've heard a number of good reports on the wing dragon, it comes in 2 forms the Wing Dragon 3 or the 4 which is more advanced but I think with the experience he has it could end up destroyed very very quickly which both he and you would be gutted to see.
I learnt on the larger SuperCub and the smaller one wasn't around then, if there's any way you could stretch to it would be good although if the smaller one is anywhere near as good you won't be dissapointed with it.
Other thing to look at for him at some stage would be a simulator I've used the cheapest FMS version since I started and still use it regularily now and my 10 yr old can control and fly a 3D plane and do rolls and loops etc with very little actual flying time but mainly from simulator practice.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 AM
simmo8

these planes are over budget but still are very good and worth a look into he also wont grow out of them as quick
the hobyzone super cub
the e-sky easy fly
like i said they are a "little"over budget but are definitley worth a good look at
good look mate
happy flying for you and your son

simmo
Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

I'd stay away from the Sky Fly for an 11 year old. It's heavy and under powered. I have one in the attic of my house. I flew it a lot, true, but it responds very slowly to control inputs because of the small control surfaces and weight. Thats with the original Sky Fly...the Yellow one. I know absolutely nothing about the second version (the Red one), they may have put a larger motor in it, lightened it up, made it respond better, I don't know. I will say the Sky Fly did teach me to "fly ahead" of the plane, that is, think ahead of where the plane was. Because it doesn't react in an emergency..and doesn't have the power to pull itself out of a jam. I will say learning with it is probably why the Super Cub was never crashed because I still "fly ahead" of the plane. The Mini Super Cub Chuck posted or the full size Super Cub ($159) would be your best options.

Edit:
If you have a local hobby shop I'd start there, just about everyone these days is carrying the Hobbyzone Super Cub and some for less than the listed $159 (local hobby shop I go to one town over sells it cheaper at $139.) It's a great plane if you can swing it. Tough and Easy to repair (Super glue) in case of a mishap, and it flies great.