Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Great Planes PT-40?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Great Planes PT-40?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Alex570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes PT-40?

I'm new to RC airplanes and I would like to build a great planes PT-40 kit this winter. My grandpa fly's with a local flying club and will teach me how to fly and probably teach me how to cover the plane. Is this a good first airplane? I've never put a kit together but I can follow directions and I have worked with wood before and have some wood working tools. Is this plane easy to build? Are there any things I should know about it before building it? I plan on building it with the trainer dihedral but does the sport dihedral make it any harder to fly? What tools related to building RC planes should I get? Sorry for all the questions but I have never done this before. thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 05:46 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Great Planes PT-40?

One of the best planes ever built as a trainer. As far has tools go your grandpa probably has them already and it would be fun to build it with him. I'd use the sport wing and this is a very easy plane to build. Maybe grandpa already has a engine and radio too. I know I would give my grandchildren any thing they needed to get in the hobby. Let us know how it goes. Dennis
Old 12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Alex570

He probably has an engine, I'll get a radio. How long should it take to build if him and I work on it?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
farr301

SPORT WING SPORT WING SPORT WING. It's also called the b-wing. I have the A wing, and it has too much dihedral and catches any wind. I'm not the only one who thinks this. otherwise, great plane. I crashed once and ripped the landing gear out so i replaced it with dubro landing gear that i like much better.

Good luck,
Farr301
Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Jester241

The PT was my first plane as well. And DEFINETLY build the sport wing! It wouldnt even hurt to build it with even less dehidral then that to be honest. Sure the dehidral is supposed to help correct itself,but I've never noticed or needed it or something. If your plane is out of control,your usually gonna crash regardless. The only thing I notice about the dehidral is how even the slightest wind catches the wings and pushes the plane all over the place.

The best part of this plane is indeed its instructions. There very detailed and even give tips and and tell you how to do stuff that alot of other manuals just assume you know. I built mine by myself with no help at all and never having seen an rc plane before. You can go to tower hobbies and download the manual to read and study before you even buy it. There will still be a couple things in the manual that will leave you scratching your head over,but enough thinking about it or your grandfather or the guys here on RCU will be able to answer easily. The manual will also tell you what all you will need to build it in detail too,so just download it and read it. Covering it is equally as hard as building too,and takes about as long for newbies. At least you'll have a step by step manaul to build,but you wont for covering. There are some great video here on rcu that will give you an idea,so definetly watch them...someone might give you the link,I dont have it off hand.

And ask lots of questions! No question is dumb. In fact most of us guys like dumb question......there the only ones we know the answers to,and thats makes us LOOK and feel like we know what were doing.

....and please be VERY careful with CA glue. You can and likely will glue your fingers together like nothing you've ever experienced!

Oh,and it will likely take you a maybe a month give or take a couple weeks to build it if you work on it a few hours a day for a few days a week. I built mine in a week or two,but I worked on it about 12 hours a day everyday till it was done without taking any breaks.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Alex570

I'll go with the sport wing, also should I use bolts for the wing or rubber bands.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Jester241

You should go with rubber bands,but you will wish you had bolts later on......so I would really recommend building it set up for both as much as you can so you can use the bolts later on. I think you should be able to do this even though the manual will only explain it one way or the other. You might only be ableto build part of the bolt setup or something,but you'll want to have it as ready for bolts as you can so when you are ready for bolts it will be easy to convert. So you'll have to think for yourself there alittle,but it shouldnt be hard. I wish I would have done that. Heres were some help would really be helpful for you if you decide to do it this way. If not,then just go with rubber bands.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
chaz5500

The PT40 was also my first kit. It's a nice build and a great flyer. I agree with the sport wing.
One note is to check the CG carefully. It should balance on the main wing spar. The instructions indicate a measurement from the leading edge which is incorrect. Later I upgraded my nose gear to a Fult's - makes a big difference in tracking on take-off and can take the abuse of rough landings.
Here is my son and the PT40.
[img][/img]
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
chaz5500

OK. I haven't done this much. Here is the picture.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:31 AM
carrellh

It's hard to guess how long it will take. I know people who can build a trainer in less than a week, and it will look and fly great. It took me almost a year to build my PT-60. I did not work on it ever day, sometimes skipped a few weeks, so it took as long as it took.

Do not be in a hurry. Let it take as long as it takes. Ask your grandfather lots of questions. Ask here too. I asked our club members a ton of questions. Several times I took parts, and the manual, to the field and sked about certain steps.

One thing I have seen is that the people who know how to build are very happy to help us learn.

If you have not already found it, you can download the PT-40 manual from
http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/index.html#kits

Pages 5 and 6 list tools and supplies. You do not have to have everything they list but it is a decent list. Take the lists to your grandfather and see if he can loan you some of the things you need so you do not have to buy everything at once.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Alex570

I already read the manual and I have a pretty good idea of how it goes together. I'm in no hurry I would like to be able to fly it by summer though.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 PM
smokeyser

I'm working on building a pt-40 atm for a winter toy (gonna put skis on it). As others said, it's a very easy plane to build. The only issue I've had with it is the fact that the instructions don't suggest doing a test fit of the engine mount until long after the firewall is glued into the fuselage. The drilling spots are all pre-marked with dents in the wood, so I just went with it. It would have saved a lot of trouble to check the fit before the firewall was attached since on mine one of the holes didn't quite line up, and it's a tight squeeze for a power drill in a .40 size engine compartment.

Other than that, it's an incredibly easy build and the instructions are loaded with helpful tips. With your grandpa helping to cover and fly the plane, I'm sure you'll have great success!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 PM
rogsteele

For what ever its worth, the PT 40 is a good plane, easy to build and it will take a lot of hard landings and just smile at you. it was my first plane. But if you realy want a great trainer then get the telemaster 40 kit, its realy true nothing flys like a telemaster
Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
rogsteele

Oh yes, I agree with chaz5500, if you balance it according to GP you get a monster on take off, balance it on the main spar and its sweet as honey
Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The PT-40 looks like a fine trainer if you really feel like building. It can be a lot a fun building a plane from a kit. Probably will cost you more, but you will learn more. Never built one but studied its video and it truly is a "Perfect Trainer". With help from your grandfather, you should do well. For $5 more you could have the Tower Trainer 40 which is an ARF. Very similar plane. I built the Tower Trainer 40 just for fun, and the quality is excellent. With reasonably cost replacement parts. In either case, do your research and ask questions.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Alex570

I want to build a plane instead of buy an ARF or RTF. Maybe I can have a better quality plane and I'll have something to do all winter.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the Sig LT-40?
its a laser cut kit which is very easy for first build, it has a plywood fuse which will take abuse and will come for more.
there is a wonderful thread here of the LT-40 "pay it forward" by RCKen, i learned a lot from that thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3439708

Alex
Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

OK Alex good for you. Realize it's going to cost you more, but you will learn so much. Yes, you can actually have a better built plane, maybe. See if you find that video Great Planes on the PT-40, its a good one. It's a good Trainer.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Alex7403

i think the GP PT-40 is a great trainer dont get me wrong here.
Alex
Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Rufcut

Alex570,
There just isn't a greater feeling in the world than watching that collection of balsa and plywood that YOU put together take to the sky for the first time. No ARF can match that. Have patience and don't hesitate to ask questions. You'll be fine.
Best of luck!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Alex7403

I agree on that Rufcut,
from my experience in building, what ever you build by yourself fly's better then any ARF (with the mistakes), and there is no mistake you cannot correct this way or another.

best of luck
Alex