Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Just out of curiosity.....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Just out of curiosity.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM
jason4vu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just out of curiosity.....

I am just starting to research rc flying. I have flown a few of the cheap toy rc planes, but really have no experience. I saw the eflite f-15 eagle video on youtube and fell in love with it. What steps do I need to take to be able to fly that plane? Are the computer simulators worth the money? Could I start with the Diablo? I know these are dumb newb questions, so thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Steve Steinbring

Default RE: Just out of curiosity.....

Jason,

My advice to you is to purchase a good trainer. RCKen has a sticky at the top of this forum listing reliable trainers to choose from. Find an instructor at the local club to help you get started properly, it will be both time and money saved.

Once you've learned to fly then you can progress your way up to your favorite airplane.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Jason,

Steve gave you the best advice possible about enjoying this hobby for the long run!

Figure out your Total cost to get the F-15 in the air[sm=eek.gif] There are many other choices available for that amount.

Simulators are good because for one, you can get a basic idea of what its all about.

If you absolutely MUST start with the F-15...find someone that CAN fly one, let him get it flying and trimmed, then have a go at it.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:31 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would start witha basic trainer, i would visit a club before you buy anything
Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 AM
Jacked69

I agree, start with a trainer I started with the Hangar 9 Alpha 40 and just love it to death, I just moved into my 2nd plane the pulse xt 60 and after I master that I will fly my TF p-51 with a saito 100 in it. But I am going to fly the covering off of the pulse before flying the p-51 as that is a different animal by far. And YES flight sims are worth every penny, they not only teach you the basics but also muscle memory which is the most important part of sims. I am one who learned from sims and did not use an instructor, I did crash one time because my TX lost its bond in mid flight, but go with the alpha 40 its a great plane and very very nice looking for a trainer. IT floats in so slow on landings and can do some very basic acrobatics like inverted flight and some loops and rolls but nothing extreme but more than most trainers can. And a big part is the gear on the alpha is very very sturdy. I had some really tough landings and never damaged the gear or bottom of the fuselage. And it comes fully assembled and the evolution .46 engine is VERY VERY reliable and fool proof. Good luck with any decision you make and let us know what you choose.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:09 PM
jason4vu

I just found out today that I know someone who is in the hobby. I think I'll purchase a flight simulator also and then maybe see if I can go out with him one day. Will the simulators be good practice for an edf plane like the eflite f15 eagle? From some of the reading I've done I think I may buy the supercub for my first plane.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The simulators like Real Flight etc are good for getting your thumbs used to moving the sticks automatically in the right direction
Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
jason4vu

Does it matter which version of realflight. I looked on ebay and it seems like 3.5 is a lot cheaper than the 4.5.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: jason4vu

Does it matter which version of realflight. I looked on ebay and it seems like 3.5 is a lot cheaper than the 4.5.
Not that much, I still have the version of 2.5, the newer versions will have a few more features and may be a bit more accurate, but for most uses, the older versions will work great. I would say when you use it to fly, set it up with some wind and weather, and pratice with different problems.

Jon
Old 12-09-2008, 09:11 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

The 3.5 offers the r/c flight characteristics that you are looking for. Cant comment on the 4.5, but it probably has the same good flight platform just with more "bells and whistles". As a matter of fact, I bought/owned the original Real Flight and found NO difference in the flight/control simulation after I sold it and went to the 3.5.

Be certain to get the product key codes. One on the jewel case, one on the transmitter.

Piper Cubs are all time favorites, however, they have scale-like tendencies when flown. [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 AM
jason4vu

I talked to the guy I know and he said he has a telemaster 40 that he would give me a good deal on. I'll probably go look at itinthe next few days. Any thoughts?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:29 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The Telemaster .40 is an ideal trainer airplane!! Get a good .40-.46 two stroke and a good radio (JR or Futaba)and you are about to start the hobby of your life...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72536.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1087646  
Old 12-11-2008, 02:48 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaka - is that you at the air races? Nice pic.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Adui

All I have to add is..

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION
Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
jason4vu

I think i'll buy realfight 3.5 off ebay. What mode should I get?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
smokeyser

Mode 2 is what we normally use in the US. That's with the throttle on the left stick.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

With RealFlight it doesn't matter what you get as the controller can be changed by the user. Although Smokeyser is correct, the majority of North America flies Mode 2.

Ken
Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
jason4vu

Alright thanks. I can't wait to get going!!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 AM
hogflyer

Real Flight 4.5 requires a high-end computer and graphics card to get the most out of it. 3.5 doesn't require nearly as much. I run 3.5 on a 5-1/2 year old lap top and it doesn’t just fine.

Hogflyer
Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 PM
jason4vu

Thanks hogflyer, I am running a laptop too. It is brand new but probably not powerful enough for the 4.5.