Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Picking up new plane tomorrow!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Picking up new plane tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up new plane tomorrow!

I'm going to pickup my new plane tomorrow, I had ordered a Yak54 120 size from nitroplanes and a couple days later they sent me an email that says they are sold out so they sent my money back to me. So I found a Seagull Laser 200 120 size. Its new in the box. I know its discontinued but I got a god deal so I couldn't pass it up. That and the seller is local so no shipping. Anyone out there have one or had one that can give some insight on this plane? I'm planning on putting my CRRC 26cc engine in it. I know it wont have the best power but I think it will do everything I want for now. Thanks James
Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Jacked69

Default RE: Picking up new plane tomorrow!

A friend of mine that has a gull 120 loves that plane, he has over 30 planes and he said it is one of his top 5 favorites to fly. So with all the planes he has it looks like you made a very nice choice, good thing the other plane was out of stock. You got a better plane IMO. Good luck and post some pics when its ready to fly.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Nitroplanes is getting a shipment of the 120 Yak in January for those that are interested. Not discontinued, just sold out.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
millertym2000

I had already paid nitroplanes and then they said they were sold out. I had my name on the waiting list for the new ones then they sent my money back to me saying they could not fill the order. I didn't mean discontinued, my mistake. Well it all worked out ok. i got a good plane for less money. I picked up the laser 200 this morning, will post some pics this evening.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Jetdesign

Looking forward to the pics! Laser is a sweet plane. Scale also - the Nitro Yak is actually a modified design and not technically scale.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
millertym2000

Heres a pic of the laser 120. I did a dry fit to take some pics. I still have to put the decals on and fit the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92597.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1087830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31110.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1087831  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 PM
millertym2000

This is a pic of the firewall and the blind nuts. The gas engine I'm useing does not fix those holes. The engine mount screw holes are about a 1/4 inch wider. Any ideas on how to go about mounting this engine? I was thinking about just moving the engine over just a little. the holes are offset to one side so I thought I could just move it back the other way. Will this be ok?

Name:	Pn36041.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1087841  
Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Jetdesign

Nothing wrong with popping out the blind nuts, filling the holes and remounting where you need to. I use a hardwood dowl, drill the existing holes out accordingly, and plug away. You could add a piece of ply backing too since you're using a gasser. Then find the best fit that will work for your engine while leaving as much space between the new holes and the repair as you can, though not to worry if they are close.

Not looking at the plane I'm not 100%, but I imagine that the holes are offset to make up for the engine thrust. The engine will be angled to the right a couple of degrees, so to keep the spinner centered in the cowl, they off set the engine.

You want to dry mount your engine on the mount, then dry fit that on the plane to line up with the cowl, otherwise it will look bad. Just do a good job plugging the necessary holes and put the engine where it needs to be. You may only have to plug two holes, maybe all four, depends...

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Jetdesign

You can two strips of ply across the back of the firewall over the hole plugs - one strip over two holes, leaving a little extra 'meat' to spread the load. Of course carbon fiber strips are ideal, but I know I don't have that stuff just laying around. Some do though
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Jetdesign

I was able to find some trim tape to match my Phoenix planes, and used it on the wheel pants and cowl to make them 'fit' better. I also painted the aluminum gear, and that came out great, too.

Did they give you stickers or trim for the cowl and pants?

Chrome gear and a chrome spinner would look pretty sweet
Old 12-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Jetdesign

Sorry one more thing...

It looks like they intended you to mount a glow engine sideways...you can mount your gasser at a different angle (upside down?) which would put the mounting holes in a different spot.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: millertym2000
The gas engine I'm useing does not fix those holes. The engine mount screw holes are about a 1/4 inch wider. Any ideas on how to go about mounting this engine? I was thinking about just moving the engine over just a little. the holes are offset to one side so I thought I could just move it back the other way. Will this be ok?
First, I'd use the existing blind nuts to help determine the horizontal and vertical center line of the firewall. This will likely be offset to the left side of the plane to compensate for the right thrust angle. Don't just use the firewall dimensions and use the center of those as a center line since that's may not be how the engine placement is designed. You'll need those center lines as a reference so that you get the gas engine in the right spot to line up with the cowl correctly. Then knock the blind nuts out.

The holes where the blind nuts were can be drilled to a standard size and plugged with hardwood dowel and epoxy.

Can you reach the back side of the firewall pretty easy? Do you have enough access to epoxy a piece of 1/8 or similar plywood? Doing this could help beef up the firewall for the heavier gas engine. You could also sand the front of the firewall down to bare wood and epoxy ply there but make sure that doesn't make the engine stick out too far.

Another precaution might be to pin the firewall. Drill holes through the engine box sides and into the edge of the firewall itself and epoxy some hardwood dowels. This will really help strengthen it.

Some people also like to use fiberglass cloth and epoxy on firewall and engine box joints. It may or may not be necessary on this plane but it probably wouldn't hurt either way.

You might also find some expertise in the gas engine forum on mounting the engine in planes similar to this one.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:06 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a sketch of what I mean on the center line. As you can see, I flunked art school.

This is how I would proceed anyhow, there may be other ideas and options out here.

Name:	Ay76072.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1087902  
Old 12-11-2008, 11:20 PM
millertym2000

I do plan on useing a CRRC 26cc mounted upside down. I can get to the back of the firewall pretty easy. So I should be able to add a thin piece of ply to it. yes it was made for a glow engine so I will need to drill all new holes. It looked like stickers not trim.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 PM
millertym2000

Ok guys one more question, This is my first plane with a cowl. The manual doesn't say anything about how and where to screw it to the fuse. I'm assumeing it screws to the fuse. How many screws should I use? Well I did a search and found an old post and found some good info about cowls so I think I have that part figured out. Thanks guys.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Jetdesign

Four screws is sufficient (has been for 3 of my planes so far). They get screwed through the cowl and into the side of the firewall. Once you've got the engine mounted, you can determine how far back the cowl needs to go; dry fit it, mark the fuse with a pen where it ends, remove the cowl and measure to the center of the firewall. Then use this measurement and mark the side of the cowl from the end.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a method to mount the cowl that will protect it from cracking around the screw holes. Use a bit of fuel tubing to make a grommet out of. Drill the hole in the cowl a bit larger than the screw. Then when you tighten the screw it will expand the fuel tubing. This absorbs the shock of vibration from the engine and will keep the cowl from cracking around the screws.

Ken

Name:	Wu60523.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1088151  
Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

A guy at my field has the same plane, he loves it. If flew really well till his dad put it into a tree. His dad rebuilt the wings from scratch (no plans) and it now flies again just as well as it did before.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:20 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

The engine offset should be about 3/8 on a inch. Look and see if the firewall has a built in offset as well if not you will have to shim one side of the engine to bring the prop shaft back to center. Dennis