Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

GP Cherokee engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

GP Cherokee engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:48 PM
fly boy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Cherokee engine

I think I might be getting the GP Cherokee for chrismas . What is a good engine. I like to put a 4 stroke. I will put a 2 stroke;but I think a 4 stroke would sound good I think it will sound good. Where can I get a pitts muffler. If I put a 4 stroke in it; it would be my first 4 and I dont know how different it would be from a 2.

thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 01:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: GP Cherokee engine

When I reviewed this plane for RCU ( [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1039[/link] ) I was hoping to get the new OS 56 Surpass 4-stroke engine for it, but unfortunately one wasn't available at the time the plane was sent to me. This would be about the perfect 4-stroke engine for this plane.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRUF7&P=ML[/link]

Ken
Old 12-12-2008, 03:19 PM
fly boy2

ORIGINAL: RCKen

When I reviewed this plane for RCU ( [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1039[/link] ) I was hoping to get the new OS 56 Surpass 4-stroke engine for it, but unfortunately one wasn't available at the time the plane was sent to me. This would be about the perfect 4-stroke engine for this plane.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRUF7&P=ML[/link]

Ken

is it good for a first 4 stroke. I'll get one if I can affored it. Maybe I can get one here or ebay
Old 12-12-2008, 03:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Although I don't have first hand experience with the 56, I've had plenty of other Surpass engines. All of the ones that I have had are outstanding engines there run well and are very easy to take care of. If this one lives up to the rest you'll do well with it.

Ken
Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven’t flow it with a 4-stroke, but I’ve found the OS .55AX is a perfect match for the Cherokee if you go the route of a 2-stroke. I really enjoyed the way the plane performed with it, and a Pitts style muffler looked good with the tips hanging out the bottom of the cowl.

Hogflyer
Old 12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
fly boy2

yeah I seen the pitts on the cherokee on the GP website. It looks good.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:43 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

It's pretty hard to go wrong with any of today's four-strokes. I've got Magnum, Thunder Tiger, Saito, and YS engines. There's not a bad one in the bunch. If you're on a budget, look at the Magnums. They're comparable to the OS Surpass line at a much lower cost.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:03 PM
kengee

I have the new OS 56 four stroke. Easy engine that even this novice, me, could manage - with a little help that is always accepted. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I currently have mine on the GP Easy Sport. I'd switch it over to the Cherokee I'm building, but I have a Saito that I'm going to try on it. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:44 PM
fly boy2

thanks, I have only 2 engines both are 2 stroke and both are O.S.s;so all I know is os, I'll do some searchin and se what I can come up with.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:04 PM
fly boy2

ORIGINAL: MikeL

It's pretty hard to go wrong with any of today's four-strokes. I've got Magnum, Thunder Tiger, Saito, and YS engines. There's not a bad one in the bunch. If you're on a budget, look at the Magnums. They're comparable to the OS Surpass line at a much lower cost.
what size magnum? a 52?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:09 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The .52 would work well in the Cherokee. I had a Magnum .52 in a trainer a few years back and once it was dialed in, it was flawless. If you can find a discontinued OS .52, they run great as well. I'd love to get my hands on the new .56.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
MikeL

What you'll find is that OS is a good, quality engine, just as many other brands are. All glow engines operate in largely the same way. If you know how to run a two-stroke OS, you know how to run most any other two-stroke out there. A four-stroke isn't that much different, either. What you find with four-strokes is a very generalized set of assumptions: Saitos, OS, and Magnums are largely on par for power. Saitos tend to weigh less for a given size, which sometimes leads to vibration. OS engines have a very nice finish, but you tend to pay more for an otherwise comparable Magnum. OS and Saito are the top brands, where Magnums are a budget brand. In practice, there doesn't seem to be a clear winner in terms of reliability or power. OS have a reputation for better fuel economy. Thunder Tiger produces engines that I feel are on a quality level equal to OS. They tend to be comparable in terms of power and weight, though the TT91 is heavier and more powerful than its peers. YS is a bit of a different breed - - they're what I consider to be premium engines in terms of finish and power, but they're slightly heavier and have a unique fuel system.

Picking an engine can be an intuitive process, based on a person's own experiences. The broader your experiences, the better your base of knowledge for picking an engine will be. When you're early in your modeling career, try a lot of different engines and brands. Built that base of experience, and you'll have the tools to make great decisions in the future. Narrow the choices by displacement and price, and then start to look at the restrictions the model puts on you. What size prop can you realistically run on a Cherokee? Do most people need to add weight to the nose or the tail? What is the engine mounting like - - if it is restrictive in terms of where the tank is, that can lead to certain choices being better than others.

All of that aside, though, you'll find no modern four-strokes that are clunkers. Isn't that nice?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:27 PM
fly boy2

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

The .52 would work well in the Cherokee.
I have a problem if I use the mag 52, the carb in rear of the engine;with a cowl I see a problem. How do I prime the engine with the carb in the back?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:50 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 4-strokes, I spin them over with the throttle wide open for a second or two using an electric starter and no power to the glow plug. Then I pull the throttle back to just above idle, power up the glow pug and they usually fire right up. Colder weather can make it more difficult of course. For an extra shot of fuel on those days I put my finger over the muffler outlet while spinning the engine. This extra back pressure forces a little more fuel into the carb.

Once you get a good 4-stoke dialed in, they start easily and run very consistent. They're a pleasure to own.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:50 AM
MikeL

Chuck has it well-covered. I usually don't bother with attempting to prime them. Chokes used to be a very common thing with four-strokes, where the choke was nothing more than a rubber cover that could be pressed against the carb inlet by holding a lever down. More recent designs don't necessarily have chokes like that. I usually remove them from my engines, as I don't use them. Four-strokes tend to be a little less fickle than two-strokes. They are more difficult to tune by ear than a two-stroke. Some people can do it, but I sure can't. I just use a tachometer, which costs about $20.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 AM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a .46AX would pull the Cherokee just fine.