Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Super-Cub-boi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!

right i have never flown a parkflyer, i have got the supercub waitin to be flown but there is no instructors or any clubs within a 4 hour drive, i habe got a thing called fsx which i garuntee wont help and i have got fms, i cant drive but i have got a 4 aiker field.

what can i do! becuase i cant get to any clubs and there is no instructors around me

the supercub isnt to fast and i understand the basic concept of flying and there is no trees around my big field, it is also a flat surface

should i give it ago? or is there ay other suggestions in what i should do?

ok thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 02:15 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NEED HELP!

While help from an experienced flyer is always best, it sounds like you have a nice big place to fly and a good beginner airplane. Read the instructions that it comes with thoroughly. I also think it comes with a DVD? If so watch it. Familiarize yourself with the plane and the controls on the ground then give it a go.

Just make sure you are in an area of your property that is free of obstructions if possible. Things like buildings, telephone lines, fences, trees, etc. can really ruin your day.

You very well may have a mishap or two. Take note of what you were doing and what the plane did then come on here for input on how to prevent it the next time. Be prepared to end up buying some repair parts in case of a crash.

Another tip is to keep a good altitude. Keep the plane where you can see it well of course but high enough that you have time to recover from a mistake.

Also, if you get into trouble and feel out of control, let go of the sticks. the plane may right itself or you'll at least have a second to get your bearings and decide how to correct the plane yourself.

Have a plan for each flight and don't try to progress too fast. I'd start out by getting the plane in the air, doing straight and level flight and gentle turns then getting it back on the ground in one piece.

If you are ever out and about and run into another, more experienced flyer, ask them for input. I'm sure they'd be glad to help out.

Finally, don't get discouraged if you have trouble at first. Flying is a skill that must be learned with practice. We ALL screwed up more than once in the beginning.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Super-Cub-boi

ok thanks alot that is great advise

im going to try and find someone to help but if i cant ill take it very gentle and easy

this area has nothing in it at all apart from flat land

and also i know sometime or another i will crash so i will have sme backup cash to fix it lol

oh and i have just got flycamone2 to attach so i am going to put that on and post it to see if anyone can tell me were i am going wrong so keep your eyes open!

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 03:25 PM
ChuckW

I'd actually leave the camera off at first. Reason is that you might inadvertently mess up the center of gravity on the plane and make it more difficult to fly. After you get comfortable flying, you can mount the camera, just make sure you put it close to the CG if at all possible or do something to counterbalance if you can't.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:33 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

The last thing a beginner needs is an airplane that is heavier than it needs to be. Leave the camera off. Take things one step at a time.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Super-Cub-boi

fair enough i didnt think of tht lol

you can tell im new hehe

ok

thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 03:49 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: MikeL

The last thing a beginner needs is an airplane that is heavier than it needs to be. Leave the camera off. Take things one step at a time.
I was going to take up skydiving in my early 20's and on my first jump I asked if I could take a camera with me. Of course the instructor quickly squashed that idea reminding me that I had enough to worry about already and I could save pictures for later.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Super-Cub-boi

lol very true haha
Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Hey so if you can't get help with your first flights, use that sim with your radio as much as possible. Take the plane up at a GENTLE climb (most new guys seem to like to yank back on the stick, dangerously close to stall conditions!) and get PLENTY of altitude. Take it slow and high.

A good thing to practice on the sim: if you get disoriented, or in a crazy position with the plane, pull back on the throttle! Nothing worse than heading down at full throttle. This will give you time to figure out what's going on, then you can correct and DON'T FORGET to throttle up again when you're in control.

It took me a couple of crashes to get in this habit; now it's second nature.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Super-Cub-boi

i learned not to yank the throttle on fsx (flight simulator x) lol

yea ok nice and gentle

thanks m8! hopefully i wont crash on my first run lol

ty again
Old 12-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Lnewqban

Super:

My three advices:

1) Keep your hands away from the propeller at all times.

2) Avoid strong wind during the first attempts (6 to 8 miles/h max.).

3) Do not over-control your model; it will take off by itself at full throttle, and it will land also by itself with a little more than minimum throttle and just a little elevator up at final flare. Also turn mostly using gentle and constant rudder input; just avoid ailerons at the beginning.

Also, check these links:

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...er_1/index.htm

http://www.dmac.org.uk/

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=8&ID=141

http://www.lferc.com/Tips/set_up_for_success.php

Best luck!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:05 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
DON'T FORGET to throttle up again when you're in control.
True... just last week I was flying a little electric and did a stall turn, pulling the throttle all the way back. I rotated to level at the bottom of the dive and had momentary brain fade. The plane seemed to want to just descend... then I realized that I hadn't throttled back up. I felt like an idiot but nothing bad came out of it. Being a quiet electric likely contributed because I pay less attention to sound with them than I do with a glow or gas airplane.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: lnewqban

2) Avoid strong wind during the first attempts (6 to 8 miles/h max.).
For a NOVICE using a SUPERCUB?!!!!!

Eh, this should be avoid anything over 2 mph or he'll risk kissing his plane goodbye as it flies off into the distance on the breeze.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:51 AM
Super-Cub-boi

m8 a supercub is fine for a beginner dont worry i have got help from loads of peeps to see if this plane was ok for starter and they all think its gr8

and i wont fly in wind for my first attempt

Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 AM
496xl

Hi,
Have you tried taxing around with no wings on.......on some what smooth surface at different speeds and turns ....yet?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Super-Cub-boi

no i havnt actully i will try that

thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Witterings

Before you try and fly it check that with no input on the sticks that rudder and elevators all look as though they're perfectly in line with the battery connected and the TX switched on. My 1st take off I thought if I put in a couple of clicks of up trim at least it won't head for the ground but it made it really hard for me to fly as it was just trying to go up so just make sure they're level.

With your Sim put the trim tabs way out before take off and practice trimming on the Simulator lots 1st so you get used to it, when you fly it for the 1st time if it's not flying absolutely true and it needs trimming use the sticks to correct to start with until you've got LOTS of height and then trim it.

I was suprised when I went to a club at how high they got the beginners to fly and wa probably double the double the height I'd been flying but it just gives you a heap more to to recover if you've made a mistake.

As long as you're not climbing steeply the plane will float around nicely in about 50 / 60% throttle - less speed = more think time.

It sounds easy to say but don't panic, think that causes more accidents than anything else, if you've got a decent amount of height and aren't sure of orientation just cut the throttle right back.

The more Sim time you can get the greater you're chances are so really do put in the time and as everybody else has said pick a day with virtually no wind at all, early in the morning's often the best time of day.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Super-Cub-boi

ok thanks m8 ill check that and i will go on trhe sim alot

thanks