Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Expirenced rc'ist looking for a first plane...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Expirenced rc'ist looking for a first plane...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Silviadrift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expirenced rc'ist looking for a first plane...

Hello , Im looking in to buying a rc plane but have such a little idea of what to get - i have a fair bit of expierance with rc stuff in general , i own a nitro truck ( cen fun factor mt2 ) Rock crawler ( Ax -10 ) a drifter ( TT-01 ) and few other things like micro helicopters / planes and a mini monster. Just Wondering if anyone here could recomend maybe 1-2 planes which could be good for me? Looking to spend maybe 100-200 ish pounds , could maybe strech to a little more, would be even better if the plane came RTR or RTF ( not sure which is correct term ) Any help is greatly apreciated , thank you
Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Expirenced rc'ist looking for a first plane...

Based on your budget,your experience, and assuming you have room to fly it, I would reccomend a Hobbyzone Super Cub. Check out the Super Cub thread here as well as the user ratings and build tips. You will get plenty of suggestions here, but more info would help. What kind of area do you have to fly in? Do you have an RCplane club or experienced Rc pilot who can help you get started? What kind of micro planes have you flown? Do you have a simulator?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Witterings

I'd have a look through some of the other threads in here as this as probably the most common question, most people will recommend a Hobbyzone Supercub or a Multiplex Easystar if you're going to be self taught and definitely get yourself a simulator. You're other RC experience won't be that helpfull with planes I'm afraid.

If you can though you're better off joining a club and getting an instructor to help as they'llbuddy box you to start with and will widen your choice of possibly suitable planes. Here's alink so you can search for a club in your area
http://www.bmfa.org/

I missed the Microplanes bit have just seen it and edited - waht are they and how much experience do you have with them although I still think what I said initillay stays the same.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers and second planes. All of them on the list are proven planes that are well suited for successfully letting students learn to fly, or advance to a second plane. Check out the list here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer- what's available. (Updated 2-20-2008) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-14-2008, 12:23 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Prattt350z
Some of your experience will be quite helpful such as motors and radio set up etc.
Actually flying will be a bit more of a challenge ( but that is why we like it).
There are so many different things to manage on a first flight it is fairly unreasonable to expect anyone even airline pilots to do it without crashing. Unless of coares there is an experienced instructer on a buddy box cord.
It takes a little time to develop the eye hand coordination, usually a minimum of a couple of weeks.
Welcome to the REAL RC FUN
Old 12-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Silviadrift

Thank for all the replys , Really was very helpfull - Managed to locate a few clubs near me and i did plan on flying in some fields :F and maybe a trip to the peak district to see what its like ( and if im aloud ). The micro planes i flew before im not too sure about any names but it was a simple 2 channel polystyrene thing , about 30 cm wingspan ( was a gift ) . RCken i noticed most / all of the planes in the link you gave me where nitro , would anyone suggest this as a good starting point? the original " plan " was to go with electric as i got pretty tired of all the hassle with my nitro cars - so unreliable , any differant with planes? Thank you to you all Ow and i dont have a flight simulator , but i guess could easily get one if recomended
Silv
Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Witterings

Only you can really decide which you'd prefer, Electric or Nitro, personally I went electric for the reasons you've stated and knew nothing about Nitro (didn't know anything about electric though either) but also you can fly in many more places and I'm lucky enough to have a few places nearby that I can take an electric to but wouldn't be able to with a Nitro.

First off it would be worth going to the clubs and deciding if you're going to go that route and always go to a club or if you've somewhere near to you that you can fly as this will probably affect your choice of plane.

If at 1st you're only going to fly with instructon at a club and have got some simulator practice would go straight to a 4 channel with ailerons and some electric possibles are GWS E-Starter at the more budget end or Mutiplex MiniMag which can be set up as 3 channel to start and get used to and then takes about 5 mins to plug in the aileron servo's and make it 4 channel, both of these once you've got some experience and feel confident flying on your own could be flown in a park. A bigger alternative could be the Multiplex Mentor which will handle wind better, is easier to see but bigger costs more and you probably wouldn't want to be flying that in your local park.
If you are going to be self taught then the ones mentioned earleir would probably be best although if you were quite good with your 2 channel ones maybe the MiniMag set up as 3 channel to start.

The E-Sky simulator is quiet reasonable and IMO excellent value at the price with a TX http://www.heliguy.com/Flight-Simula...nd-controller/
Later on you can go into some sites and download more advanced / aerobatic planes

All the planes I've mentioned so far are Foam as they're easier to repair and generally a bit more robust than balsa, if you need any more help let us know, see yo're in the UK if you wanted to talk at all buzz me a PM with a number and I'll give you a call.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Silviadrift

Just nipped to the local model shop and i think im gona stick with electric , the guy got his electric rc helicopter out and did a quick demo while saying a few pro's and cons between both Nitro + electric planes and helicopters, so just need to weigh this up , think im gona go with the cub ( electric )and then maybe a heli he showed me after i get a bit of practice with the cub , both kinda cheap in price and then i can decide whether a plane is right for me , if so i can maybe take things a lil further and upgrade after some time , if not then maybe a helicopter or maybe both i also got myself a 3 channel " mini vortex " helicopter for 21 pounds which has so far been great fun + a little practice ow i also checked out some simulators at the model shop , think ill buy one sometime this / next week , but knowing so little il see what people have to say about which to buy , the one you linked seems awesome for the price , out of stock thou []
Thank you , Silv