Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd plane for OS Max .32SX

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd plane for OS Max .32SX

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 AM
westone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd plane for OS Max .32SX

Hi,
Looking for some advice. This is my RC experience: About 20 years ago I built and flew an electric high wing balsa kit successfully. Lost it when I went up late in the day and discovered that although it was visible at altitude, it was too dark to see the plane when landing and I put it into the top of a tall tree. The retrieval damaged it more than the crash and that was the end of that plane.

2 years ago I bought one of the Parkzone 2 channel electric planes, and found it more difficult to fly than the 3 channel version which I moved up to last year. I have had some fun with the 3 channel as it will do a loop, and unlike the 2 channel, it is possible to make low passes with the throttle full on. I also attempted several times from altitude to perform an outside loop, but the plane will not would not proceed past a vertical descent. One day the receiver (part of a circuit board in the plane) malfunctioned and I have not replaced it.

Last year my father-in-law gave me an OS Max .32SX, and all the related gear and electronics from a plane he had at one time. All that is needed is an airplane to put it in. I have 2 questions:

1. I am looking at the Phoenix Sonic .25, and am on the fence about whether my experience is adequate for the low wing version. I don't want to get bored too quickly, I think I could probably handle it if I put the control throws at their lowest setting initially. Yet I will be making a transition to glow at the same time. And honestly, I am going to do the same thing I have done with the other planes: Go out to a field near my home, all by my lonesome, and fly it. High or low?

2. Having no glow experience, I am uncertain about the realistic applications for this engine. Am I limiting the choices too much by looking only at .25 options?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2nd plane for OS Max .32SX

Most .40 trainers would fly on the .32, but if your worried about boredom,,well you'd probably be there quick...I say give it a try with the sonic....Rog
Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are a long way off in what your prior experiance is and trying to make the conversion to much faster flying airplanes and airplanes that will require quite a bit more room than what you think. This is worse since you are going to do it the expensive way in terms of wreacked airplanes, You need to stick to a true 25 sized glow trainer such as the Sig LT-25. Doing anything else in terms of more advanced types is only fooling yourself and going to make a bigger impression on your bank account.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFG17&P=7

John
Old 12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
westone

Your advice is well taken, but I point out that the high wing Phoenix Sonic is billed as a .25-.32 trainer, just as is the Kadet you suggest. Both have a flat bottom airfoil. When using the research section of this website in looking at the Sonic, it is referenced as a trainer. What is the difference?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

The high wing Sonic would probably be a good trainer. The OS 32 SX will probably make it a screamer, so be sure to exercise some throttle control when you first start out.