Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Doing video?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Doing video?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:56 AM
zaboaa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing video?

Don't know if this is a good place for this post, but here it is. I just got a new HDV video camera, went out to the field and tried to tape some action. It was almost impossible to keep the plane in the FOV. Any suggestions on how to do it? BTW this camera does not have a viewfinder. Appreciate any tips, thanx....
Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Doing video?

Welcome to the wonderful world of model airplane video!

First, your screwed without a viewfinder. Trying to use that big window in the daylight is a nightmare.

Second, there are no tricks to it, it is just a very difficult thing to do - following that tiny plane at 70mph is just plain difficult.

One thing you can try is making a shoulder mount to help you hold the camera steady. Aside form that, it's just a matter of practice.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What Minnflyer said. Both Mike and I have spent plenty of time behind a video camera shooting video for reviews and covering events for RCU.

First off, make a shoulder mount for the camera. You can make one out of a simple aluminum bar and a handle. I did this for my camera and you have no idea how much it helped. I've attached a few pictures of the shoulder mount I made. The total cost for it was less than $10

Like Mike said, the LCD viewscreen is just about worthless in daylight. The only advice I can give here is find a towel or something else that you can make a hood out of that you can put over your head and the LCD viewscreen to block out the light.

Having looked at more video than I care to admit probably the biggest mistake I see being made is that the camera operater tries to zoom in as close to the plane as they can get. When the plane is at a distance this makes for jumpy blurry video that looks like the Blair Witch Project and makes most people sick to their stomach. Try pulling back the zoom a bit and see if you don't get better video.

Another problem I see a lot is that people don't take into account the position of the sun. Try to have the sun behind you whenever possible, because the direct sun can washout your picture.

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24343.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1089442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54742.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1089443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62585.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1089444  
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
zaboaa

Sorry for the late thanx, was out of town for a couple days. Looks like a great set-up. What did you use for the handle? Also do you just sit the pad on top of your shoulder or put it under your arm? I was thinking of maybe some kind of optical aimer/line-up tool, calibrate it on the ground, it might be easier to track with a little more peripheral vision.

Thanx mark

ORIGINAL: RCKen

What Minnflyer said. Both Mike and I have spent plenty of time behind a video camera shooting video for reviews and covering events for RCU.

First off, make a shoulder mount for the camera. You can make one out of a simple aluminum bar and a handle. I did this for my camera and you have no idea how much it helped. I've attached a few pictures of the shoulder mount I made. The total cost for it was less than $10

Like Mike said, the LCD viewscreen is just about worthless in daylight. The only advice I can give here is find a towel or something else that you can make a hood out of that you can put over your head and the LCD viewscreen to block out the light.

Having looked at more video than I care to admit probably the biggest mistake I see being made is that the camera operater tries to zoom in as close to the plane as they can get. When the plane is at a distance this makes for jumpy blurry video that looks like the Blair Witch Project and makes most people sick to their stomach. Try pulling back the zoom a bit and see if you don't get better video.

Another problem I see a lot is that people don't take into account the position of the sun. Try to have the sun behind you whenever possible, because the direct sun can washout your picture.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

This setup sits on my shoulder. I had to actually bend the end of it down a little bit for it to be comfortable on my eye. The handle was a real secret. As I was wandering through Wal-mart I found that handle. It came off of an ice cream scoop that Wal-mart sells for ~$3.

Ken
Old 12-16-2008, 10:03 PM
flaminheli

This doesn't have anything to do with shooting the video but the final copy. Another problem I have noticed is that to many people employee music into their video. I personally love just the sound of the engine, especially a big gasser or radial. Try to shoot it when there is no wind so you don't hear all of the wind noise.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: flaminheli
I personally love just the sound of the engine, especially a big gasser or radial. Try to shoot it when there is no wind so you don't hear all of the wind noise.
If you view my videos I do for my reviews you will notice that I do put down a low music soundtrack. I do this to mask wind sounds and the sounds of my breathing on tape. Unfortunately with the position of the microphone on my camera it picks up my breathing a lot of the time. So I put down a music track to cover that up. However, I lower the volume of that so that people can still hear the engine sound of the plane in flight.

Ken
Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

One of my biggest gripes with RC Plane videos is that there is seldom any ground reference included in the shot. Give the viewer a mix of close up and far out shots to keep it interesting. And remember 3 minutes of watching a plane go round in circles on video is boring.

Brad
Old 12-18-2008, 02:06 AM
zaboaa

Great tips thanx to everyone, off to walmart....