Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

need engine for H9 TWIST

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

need engine for H9 TWIST

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:17 PM
peterpiper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need engine for H9 TWIST

hello,
i am in the midst of building a hanger-9 TWIST 40. the only engine i have right now is a o.s. 46LA i would like to find another one for it that has plenty of power
for now i would like to stick with a 2-stroke just because im still a beginner.

here are a two i have been looking at

o.s. 46AX
super tigre g51

like i said i want to know what you guys think. i would like enough power to do harriers and hover.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: need engine for H9 TWIST

Personally, I'd go for the .46-AX. I had a twist with one of these using an APC 12.25x3.75 prop and it was a great match.

I've also owned the Super Tigre .51. I know they can be a great engine and many people love theirs. Mine was pretty temperamental though. I consider myself very good in the engine tuning department but that particular engine was a pain. You'd correct one problem only to have another. Maybe I just got a lemon.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The plane would be great with a Saito 82 up front
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
ChuckW

Yu also mentioned being a beginner. How much time do you have on a trainer? If you've done well on that and a low wing sport plane, you should transition to the Twist just fine. If not, keep in mind that the plane is aptly named. It is a very responsive, extremely maneuverable airplane and it can get away from you in a hurry if you aren't ready for it.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
microsprint9

I had a TT PRO.46 on mine spinning an APC 12x4 and i found this to be a great combo.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
peterpiper

i had been flying a great planes big stick which i know is still a beginner plane and as far as im concerned have mastered it.
i decided to go with the twist with the consultation of the LHS guys.(they know what i have flown)
i plan on keeping the planes throw at a minimum untill i am ready to go farther. and i will start with the .46LA for the same reason. when i get ready i
will switch engines
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: peterpiper
i had been flying a great planes big stick which i know is still a beginner plane and as far as im concerned have mastered it.
You should do just fine then if you are comfortable with the Stik.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 PM
w8ye

The Twist can be gentile or far out depending on how the throws are set and the power up front
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you may want to consider doing is embed a piece of 1/8" music wire along the bottom of your rudder. The Twist is easy to land on the rudder before the tail wheel contacts the ground. Mine is almost to the point where I'll need to not only recover the bottom portion of the rudder but replace the bottom strip of wood and add that 1/8" piece of wire at the same time.

You'll find the Twist with low control throws is a kitten, but when you kick the throws up you'll find its more fun than the proverbial barrel of monkeys. It will do some of the nicest high alpha approaches at a crawl and is very solid flyer. Its a very stable plane on the low end of its speed range.

Hogflyer
Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The Twist can be gentile or far out depending on how the throws are set and the power up front
True. I've had two of them. One had a .70 4-stroke on it and I sometimes liked to just float around at part throttle and try landing on specific spots. I've just seen a lot of new flyers pick these up because they're inexpensive and appear to be cool not realizing what those huge control surfaces can make the plane do.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 AM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

I have a 46AX on mine and I can get it off the ground in about 15 ft going vertical and its climbing fast. I can get it to climb until its a spec in the sky. Im using the APC 12.25x3.75. It will hover at around half throttle, and I usually fly around at half throttle also since the planes not really made for speed. To be honest I would just give the 46LA a chance but if your itching to get another engine I wouldnt go bigger than the OS 55AX, cant really comment on the power from a Saito 82 since Ive never owned one but I would think that would be more than enough power.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
w8ye

Notice the large diameter low pitch prop for maximum thrust and vertical climb ability