Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is this a decent deal?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is this a decent deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM
westone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a decent deal?

Hi,
I've been looking for a .25 trainer to match to an OS .32sx my father-in-law gave me. I found this offer on consignment at the LHS and it seems like a good deal to me, just want to get some feedback since I don't know my stuff. I realize there is a big unknown with used equipment and I don't expect anyone to have a crystal ball. I'll just need to use my best judgment. Here's the package on offer:

A used Goldberg Eagle 2 (the ARF version which goes for $119), patched up in places but it looks straight and not too bad.
An OS .40LA, all I know is the compression is good when turning the prop by hand and its clean.
A Futaba Conquest 6 channel non-computer radio. I think it was FM but not sure really.
The plane is ready to fly with servos, receiver, etc already installed.
The only thing it lacks is a charger for the radio/receiver battery pack, and the original transmitter battery pack. The TX has rechargeable nicads installed.

All that and the seller is asking $150. Might can get it for $130. I wasn't looking for all that, but I was going to spend close to that on a plane, and then however many hours it takes to get it flight ready. Plus I would be all worried about getting that first ding or scratch on it. Seems like a deal to me. What do you think?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this a decent deal?

not bad, just range check it befor you buy it, check the batteries
Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Research the Conquest model number and make sure it is 1991 compliant.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

From the way you describe it the radio may about 8 to 10 years old. Futaba quit making the Conquest some time ago. Keep in mind that 72 values have dropped alot since 2.4 came out. From your post I can't tell witch battery is missing. A charger will cost about $10. A LA 40 is worth about $30 maybe $40 tops. The radio about $50 today if you can find a buyer.
If I had that plane in my store, I'd price it sell fast between $100 and $120. Just my idea. If you need a TX battery for the radio it could cost you upwards of $30 from Futaba. your OS 32sx is a stronger engine then the LA. Dennis
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 PM
bruce88123

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6nfk-6npk-manual.pdf should be the manual for your radio system. If so, it is compliant with all present rules. Depending on condition of all items this is a workable purchase but not an extreme bargain. Simply a fair price if it's something you would like to own.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:06 PM
westone

Thanks for the feedback. I looked at the manual and, at least from the look of it, that's exactly the radio with the plane. I don't mind old equipment as long as it is in good working order and can be had at a fair price. At some point in time 72Mhz was the thing, and before that AM. I'm driving a 17 year old car right now and as far as I can tell nobody back in the early '90s knew what a cup holder was, but it gets me where I need to go.
Thanks again for the help. I'm going to think about making an offer.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Conquest systems both four and six channels were sold in vast quantities before and after the 1991 narrowbanding In AM, FM as well as 512 PCM. As noted above all the FM Versions and the PCM units are considered narrow band however most of the pre 1991 AM units are not narrow band and illegal to use unless they have the gold RCMI sticker to show it has been narrowbanded and none of the original Rx could be narrowbanded and had to be replaced.

If the radio system is AM and without the sticker for purposes of the buy I would consider it worthless.

John
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 PM
westone

It has the gold sticker on the back. I didn't know why at the time but the store owner pointed it out when we looked at it. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

westone
"The only thing it lacks is a charger for the radio/receiver battery pack, and the original transmitter battery pack. The TX has rechargeable nicads installed."
Westone as JohnBuckner stated, it the radio is AM, while it will work, I suggest you simply throw it out. One of those Futaba systems did not have buddy box capability. I'm sure JB remembers. Of course if you don't need it then you don't need it.

I seriously doubt the Nicads will ever come up to par if they have long been without charge.

Now at either Walmart or Radio Shack, you can get great deals on NMH batteries. I just put together some for both a transmitter and a new ignition battery for a gas-burner. 1500 to 2500 mah NMH batteries can be had cheap as compared to hobby supply and mag. ads.
I am flying some models now using RS plastic cell holders using the nylon tie-straps to keep the contacts tight without solder. WORKS as long as the unit is well padded.
At RS and or WM, you can find any number of fine chargers, that with some soldering for wires, etc., you can have very flexible chargers. Three come to mind:
1.) Was originally a car charger, but where the cells go in, I soldered a lead to fit a standard switch male bat. charging plug. It can charge up to 8 cells, at your selected voltage, 1.5 to 9.6, at a 5 hour rate. It figures the need with a couple switch settings. Cost me $7.00 at RS. Comes in handy ever so often.
2.) Another one is selectable 1.5 to 12 volts. Constant 300 mah. Has a variety of plugs. There is one to fit any of my transmitters, The plug receptacle pins can be rotated 180* before attaching the plug so you can change the polarity to fit, like JR Vice Futaba Tmttrs. Cost was about $15, but oh so versatile.
3.) This one has 1.2 to 12 volts selectable. Constant 100 mah output. I have soldered both a plug for an airplane and a transmitter onto the output wire. Makes for a great trickle charger when plugged into either for a long period of time, when the batteries of 1500 to 2500 mah are already charged and you want to maybe keep that for a later flying date.

Of course you can find numerous chargers with 100-300 mah output at 6 to 9 volts. These will charge receiver packs just fine. Now that 2000 mah +/- NMH batts are so common and relatively inexpensive, and easy to manage, I have little need for ever using anything different.

Lots of good deals out there. As far as support equipment, the most is NOT found in a hobby shop.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:06 AM
jrcaster

This one will work.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCE6&P=0

Or this one.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNK66&P=0

Like a few people have said before make sure the radio is FM. If I remember right all FM radio's were 1991 compliant.

The Conquest 6 channel radio is a good basic radio. I still have one, and I still use it.

That is not a bad deal, but if you can talk them down go for it. Just get the charger and battery packs and fly the thing like it is. Then you can sit back and build a kit for the other engine.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

HI,
I wouldn't go over $100.00 as the radio is really old. The plane is what I learned on and should be fine with that motor. I learned on the OS 40 FSR ABC which has a bit more umph than an LA. Still the LAs are easy to run and should be fine on that bird. You could put a mouse can mufler on it for grins[>:]
Old 12-18-2008, 05:51 AM
flyinrog

I dont know the financial situation, but I wouldnt buy a radio more than a few years old,,at Tower you can get a new 4ch Futaba Tx with 2-4 servos rx and charger and new tx and rx batteries for $110-130,, a tower trainer is ~$70, look for the tower deals like $20 off for $200 of stuff,, figure a glow starter and chicken stick, epoxy and a few other goodies to get it started and that .32sx will fly a .40 trainer unless its shot....

so to finish up, you dont need the engine,,you dont want an old radio, ...its not a good deal at all at $150,, when for $50 more you have all new stuff,, just my opinion....Rog
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM
r2champion

Just to note, the Tower Trainer is now $59.99, super deal!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 AM
flyinrog

Heck, I didnt notice you were 20 miles away, is this KC hobby?...I cant imagine he would push an old radio ...Raindave over in 1/2a is a great builder and may have a trainer, not sure..give me a pm and maybe we can fix you up with something..Rog