Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RC plane mods?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RC plane mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:46 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC plane mods?

does anyone know of anyone that does motor work and mods to rc plane engines like AB mods does for cars? Thanks..
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: RC plane mods?

Incrededitably hugh subject with no possible answers untill you start narrowing things down a bit. First are you talking about motors or engines really big diff there and next what kind of performance changes are you looking for in what kind of aircraft?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

double post
Old 12-22-2008, 08:26 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify what John said.. Motors = electric. Engines = glow, fuel, gasoline, whatever.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Jacked69

Im sorry, I meant engines, like 2 strokes and 4's. What I would want done is similar to what AB Mods does to RC engines and my engine for my RC8 FT is on the way to him now, Im asking this because for example if a plane requires a 61 2 strk but I want more power like the power of a 75 but wont fit In the cowl I can have it worked on to get .75 power out of a .61 for example. Thanks again and sorry for not being clear, my fault.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Jacked69

does anyone know of anyone that does motor work and mods to rc plane engines like AB mods does for cars? Thanks..
Most of us who purchase ARF's do "mods" to the planes as soon as we get them!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 PM
TFF

Modifying an engine can be done but it usually hurts things like idle and longevity. Most .75s are based on a .60 equal, so a change would be easy. A .40size to a .60 power would be more what you are talking about because of the case size differences. Unless you fly pylon modifying engines usually hurts more than helps. Not much has been done with 4 strokes though mainly because cams take special equipment to reproduce.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 PM
carrellh

Unfortunately you picked a bad example. In the "popular" group of Two stroke engines, the .61/.75/.91 are all so close to the same physical size and weight that fitting in a cowl is not likely to be an issue.

If you want .61 power out of a .40, you'll need mods and I doubt that you'll find anyone who can accomplish that.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
bruce88123

Clarence Lee used to do engine upgrades but only on certain brands of engines. You may be able to find one of his ads somewhere if he is still in business.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As others here are trying to say, The two stroke 40 through 58 engines all tend to be in the same case dimensions and the two stroke 61 through 91 engines are also in basically the same case.

In the four strokes the Saito 45, 50. 56, & 62 engines are all in the same case size and the 72 & 82 are in a slightly larger case but have the same mounting foot print. The Saito 100 and 125 also have the same foot print. The Saito 65, 80, 91, & 115 all have the same foot print. The OS 48 & 52 are closely related with all parts being interchangeable except the crank, case, & pushrods. The moving parts of the OS Surpass I & II engines are interchangeable. The footprint of the OS48/52 and the OS 56a are the same. The OS 70 and 81a are the same as are the OS 91 and the 115a.

The Saito 65, 80, 91, & 115 all have the same mounting dimensions of the OS 70 Surpass and 81a engines. The Saito 100 & 125 have the same mounting dimensions as the OS 91 and 110a engines as well as the Y-S 91 and 110 engines

I have made OS and Saito four stroke smaller engines into larger engines by using some of the bigger engine parts but it has never been cost effective. the more cost effective approach is to sell the small displacement engine and buy the larger displacement engine outright.

Due to the physics of propeller thrust, the only R/C planes that respond to actual engine modification which relates to more rpm are the 2 stroke pylon racing type planes where the displacement is limited.

As far as super charging - just buy a Y-S four stroke engine

3D type planes respond better to brute torque swinging a large diameter flat pitch prop which relates more to displacement or maybe the Y-S super charged engine.

The price of many tuned pipe systems costs as much as upgrading to a larger engine so are basically not cost effective.

In the 2 stroke all out racing game, the single step tuned pipe can give tremendous power peaks but there are a strict regimen of factors that all must come together at the same time to achieve this.

There has been a trend to tuned chamber type exhausts on two strokes with some of these tuned for broad power band response and others for peak performance. The broad band sytems tend to be less troublesome and more useful. Some of the homemade broad band (Muse can) setups can be very cost effective.

Tuned chambers on a four stroke are good for only 300 rpm at best with the right prop and that's it.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Up above someone mentioned Clarence Lee. He advertises in the classified section of Model Aviation.

His mods are very cost effective on the K&B 2 stroke engine. They enhance the power considerably at the expense of noise
Old 12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
flyinrog

It could be done, but I doubt it would be worth the cost ,,to bore out a cylinger, rechrome it and buy a larger piston....,,would be less to get another engine...Rog
Old 12-22-2008, 06:05 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

The simplest way to upgrade the performance of your engine is to modify your muffler....

1. Try to remove the baffle out of your 2 stroke muffler....more noise, but more power too.
2. Try different props......If you want great thrust for a 3D plane, try an XOAR wood prop
3. Buy a tower muffler...usually good for 200+RPM's
4. Buy a high performance muffler....ultrathrust muffler or Dubb Jett Muffler
5. If you want all out speed, get a tuned pipe like a MACS tuned pipe. Pain to get tuned correctly, but when you do...holy crap.

These options range in cost from about $20 for the tower muffler up to about $100 for the ultrathrust or MACS tuned pipe...