Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Please help in setting up servos!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Please help in setting up servos!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:31 PM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help in setting up servos!

Hi all - thanks for your help now and in the past!

I am trying to set up all my servos. I have some basic questions and was wondering if there was a good site that touches on some of these basics, or if you can give me some info.

So, I'm assuming most of my servos should be set up so that when the stick (and trim) is in the middle, the servo arms should be nuetral (either at 90d. to the servo body, or 0d, depending on how the servo is set in the airplane).

thus maximize the throw in either direction (left/right, up/down)

The throttle on my plane, I can set up so that I have slightly less than enough throw to go from an good idle opening in the carb, to full open (I don't see a FULL circle opening, the very edge of the circle openeing is hidden by the carb housing). OR, I can put the arm in a different spot and I get too MUCH throw ( the idle opening on the carb will close down almost all the way, or the full throttle opening will BOTTOM out and put stress on the servo).

So what should I do in this scenario?

Also, on the ailerons - should they be nuetral, when the stick is nuetral, or should they both be slightly up or slightly down? It also seems like I can't get the arms to sit nuetral. Either one side or the other is slightly cock eyed on the servo, and can only be nuetralized with trim. It seems like when I get it close to center, then trim out, I then have the problem of one of the ailerons being able to be thrown UP more than the other.

Thanks for any help you can offer
Tim

Old 12-26-2008, 06:56 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: Please help in setting up servos!

you have the idea on the controls, nuetral sticks, nuetral trim, servo arms at 0 or 90 depending. hook up the conrol surfaces with them at nuetral as well..adjust the pushrods to get the length correct....
Throttle...throttle closed...throttle trim 3 clicks up from the bottom...the servo arm not at 0 or 90 but something toward closed....hook up the pushrod with the carb closed...advance trim so you have about a 1/16th to 1/8 opening..now move the throttle to open and see if you have the carb wide open...if not adjust back and forth between closed and open until with throttle closed and trim down there is no opening and with trim up till 1/8 or 1/16th open then move the throttle wide open you have a wide open hole in the carb
Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: trpastor
The throttle on my plane, I can set up so that I have slightly less than enough throw to go from an good idle opening in the carb, to full open (I don't see a FULL circle opening, the very edge of the circle openeing is hidden by the carb housing). OR, I can put the arm in a different spot and I get too MUCH throw ( the idle opening on the carb will close down almost all the way, or the full throttle opening will BOTTOM out and put stress on the servo).

So what should I do in this scenario?
Are you using an EZ-connector (metal connector with set screw) on either the throttle arm or servo arm? This will allow you to tweak the length of the throttle push rod.

Are you using a computer radio or basic radio?

What I like to do on the throttle is put my throttle stick and trim lever all the way forward. Then position the arm on the servo so that it is pointing more forward. Then using the EZ connector, adjust the length of the pushrod until you get wide open at the carb & tighten the set screw. Now pull the throttle stick all the way back. Hopefully you'll have 1/16 or so opening in the carb for a nice idle and then you can pull the trim back all the way to completely close it and kill the engine. If not, try various combinations of holes on the servo arm and throttle arm until you get it working right.

Also, on the ailerons - should they be nuetral, when the stick is nuetral, or should they both be slightly up or slightly down? It also seems like I can't get the arms to sit nuetral. Either one side or the other is slightly cock eyed on the servo, and can only be nuetralized with trim. It seems like when I get it close to center, then trim out, I then have the problem of one of the ailerons being able to be thrown UP more than the other.
Ailerons should generally be centered on most airplanes. Sometimes advanced pilots will play with the positioning but it usually isn't necessary for the majority of us.

what kind of servos are you using? Take a look at a 4-sided or 6-sided servo arm, do you see little numbers? If so, each of those arms is offset just a little differently. this helps you find an arm(s) that will be as close to 90 degrees as possible when the servo is centered. If not, its no big deal. For trainers and simple sport planes, I wouldn't be concerned if the arm sits slightly off. You can center it with your trims though if you want. Then you'll have to adjust the pushrod length by screwing the clevis in or out to get the control surface centered again.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

trpastor,
Sometimes changing the holes on either or both of the trottle and the servo will find the right amount of travel. ATV ( adjustable travel volume) if you radio has this feature, it is very handy here. Remember you do need to be able to kill the engine with the radio.
Good Luck, Ozmo