Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Axle size on Alpha 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Axle size on Alpha 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle size on Alpha 40

Does anyone know offhand the axle size on the alpha 40, is it 1/8' gonna get some larger tires, any suggestions to a good brand and if possible a link? thanks fellas. I have the stock tires on there now and land nice but should I go with the soft treaded tires that are like the foam or stick with the rubber and stock size? Any advantage to a bit larger tires? ALso would like to get stronger landing gear, anyone know what struts will fit on the alpha and if you could send a link that would be great, just the mains I would get not the nose gear. Thanks a ton....
Old 12-27-2008, 02:23 AM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Axle size on Alpha 40

I replaced the weak gear on my Tower trainer with these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDXA7

They worked fine. If the hole in the wheel is too small for the axle you can just drill the hole larger.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The axle size is standard, off the shelf wheels fit no problem. I have 3 3/4" wheels on one. The big advantage is the larger diameter tires will go over the "lumps" in grass much more easily. As far as light weight or standard rubber, it's a trainer, you won't see a huge difference. Fly one type for a while, and then try the other type and see if it makes a difference to you. I like the looks of the rubber ones, but I used the foam ones on my LT-40 because that's what it came with. The wing on the LT-40 is big enough that you could use bricks and it would still fly.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHBP8&P=7
One Alpha I put these on. They are very tough.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Jacked69

Thanks fellas, that helps so much. YOu are all great.....
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Jacked69

Does anyone know the standard size rubber tires that come with the alpha 40? Also Dash, are those gear substantially stronger than the stock alpha 40 gear? I will pick up a pair if they are? Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:04 AM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Tower Trainer, not an Alpha 40, but they are similar. I actually bought that gear set after I had a nose gear fall off my PT-40 in flight. I just needed the nose gear so I had the main left over when I got the Tower Trainer and found out how weak the stock gear was. It was strange because the wire diameter was the same, but the stock gear would bounce like crazy and spread after one landing, but the replacement gear never bounced and never spread. I guess it's stronger metal or something... So, I don't know if it is any stronger than the stock Alpha 40 gear, but it is much stronger than the stock Tower Trainer gear and worked fine for me... HTH
Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Jacked69

Thanks Dash, that does happen to my alpha, I get more of a spread then a bounce but I do get some bouncing if the landing is not literally flawless. Gonna order a pair now and try em out, thank you....
Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I try to fit 3-1/2" wheels on all my planes because I fly from grass and sometimes it is not mowed very close.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to check out the landing gear and tires from BuBro at WWW.DUBRO.COM I use the Super Strength gaer and 3' tires on a couple planes. I like it a lot better then the wire gear. It might take a little more to install them but I think it's worth the time. ENJOY !!! RED