Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Mixing for newbies learning ( should I ?)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mixing for newbies learning ( should I ?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 02:55 AM
SlickCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing for newbies learning ( should I ?)

I ended up watching a copy of a video called "Solo in 7 days".. I have to say, the landing info really helped me on landing using the Simulator program by using myself for the landing target and performing the downwind leg of the landing pattern.. I hit the runway every time now instead of always being off to the side.

It shows using a Y-harness to control the Rudder and Ailerons together at the same time to control Adverse Yaw.. In the video the affects of adverse yaw are very apparent.

My question is whether, while learning , I actually should use the mixing on my Radio to control Adverse Yaw? It appears to me as if you would not learn to use the rudder with mixing set to control the Rudder and Aileron's together.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:04 AM
Woodsy

In short NO
Old 06-04-2003, 10:13 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

definitely NOT.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:17 PM
SaviCatses

That was my biggest fear when learning to fly (well, I'm still learning) coordinating rudder and ailerons together. My radio can do it, but I've never even thought of trying it, and I've never used that mix, I simply tried to learn it the manual way.

The first dozen times using rudder on my trainer with the ailerons usually resulted in a major loss of altitude, but since then I can comfortably turn using the rudder with the ailerons.

I think it's definately best to learn to do it yourself, that way you don't rely on your radio or y-harness to fly your plane.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:56 PM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

You go and do it yourself. You will be a much better pilot by learning to use that left stick = rudder control and throttle management.

The mechanical mixing suggested in the video is just an un-necessary crutch in my opinion.

Get your plane up a bit, then add some rudder. Observe what is happening. Then start adding aileron. First in the same direction as the rudder you added, then in a second pass, move the aileron in the opposite direction to the rudder input you used and watch the plane "crab". With a bit of practice, you can move the plane line of flight left or right while keeping the wings flat. Great for final adjustments on landing approach.

Hope that this helps.

Take care and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Fastsky

I agree with the others. At your stage of this hobby just work on touching down smoothly on the landings and worry about mixing controls later. Keeping things simple for now is going to help both you and your instructor. At our club the crashes that low stick time flyers have usually happens after they solo and get too cocky and then they start to play with dual rates, mixes ect.