Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help with a decision!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help with a decision!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with a decision!

No, I sold alot of the heli stuff, and what I do have will not work.

Anyone using Lipo's in the Cub?
If so how do those work out? Flight Time?
Thanks
George
Old 01-06-2009, 04:51 PM
lehrscott4

Ive been getting 12-15 min on stock 7 cell and 10-12 on 8 cell with mixed flying. I had one flight of 20 minutes where i would climb as high as i could and then glide in a huge circle down to around 15 ft and then climb again and do it over. The batteries are reasonably priced 20-25 bucks, so just get a few and charge them up with the wall charger- 1 1/2 hours or the car charger in about 45 min. Just get the cub and then experiment with batteries. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
gagallagher04401

I can not wait to get one! I will be with time. Looking for the best price, and best places for parts.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM
lehrscott4

The $159 price that i see around seems to be reasonable to me. I havent really had to get any parts because the thing is so durable. A little glue is all ya need. Maybe a few extra props, but since it comes with an extra you might not need that anyway.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:17 PM
gagallagher04401

Yeah it is, just wating til I have the extra cash. Plus it is damn cold here in Maine. Will flying in the winter/cold hurt anything?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
gagallagher04401

Oh another thing, I have the Esky FMS Simulator, and it has the Hobby Zone Super Cub on it and I have been flying the hell out of it LOL I can fly on there with out even thinking about it. Will I be able to hande the real deal alright? (Yes I know the real thing will be somwhat different)
Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 AM
Witterings

If you can get seme help even for your 1st 2 / 3 flights, try using more advanced planes on FMS that are more sensitive, practise trimming FMS without looking at the tabs and if you do go for your 1st flight on your own find somewhere you think is twice the size you think is neccassary, make sure there is NO wind for your maiden and don't try and trim it until you're way up high which will probably be double the height you think you should be flying at and the keep it high it gives you time to correct mistakes !!!
Put a timer on so you know how long before the battery goes, you don't want to be landing for your 1st time ever with no power and try a couple of practise landings but pull up before you actually land !!!!
You're 1st flight isn't about pushing it to the limit and staying up for as long as you can and pushing the battery till it's flat it's about making sure the plane survives to make a second flight
Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 AM
gagallagher04401

Well a person/"helper" standing next to me is out, liek I said there is no one around. My father will be standing next to me, but thats it. He'll be there for moral support LOL

I will continue with the FMS.

I do have a couple more questions though. I plan on trygin to "sturdy" up the plane some before I go out for my first flight, taping wing tips, etc... they als say tape the leading and tailing edges of the wings, is that just the front and back edges of the wings?

Is there avideo anywhere that walks poepl through how, and where to strengthen the Cub up. That woudl be a GREAT tool for the new guys. I want to do all the strengthening mods before my first flight. I am also going to put bigger wheels on it.

I also hear about unplugging the ACT? (not sure if I have that right) causes more problems then it is worth.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
lehrscott4

The only thing the cold might do is to drain your battery a little faster. Be sure to keep them warm before flying. Practice with some more advanced models on the simulator because real life with the cub will be harder than on the sim. And you can't just hit a reset button. Be sure to gain plenty of altitude before practicing turns and such. Always try to give yourself room for mistakes until you get comfortable with the way the cub handles in real life. It will be scary at first and get your heart racing, but after a while, it will be like second nature! Have fun, because thats what its all about![8D]
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
gagallagher04401

Well my Super Cub will be o the way Monday. I got it from a guy on Ebay NIB also came with (2) 7 cell batteries, and (1) 8 cell battery. Plus everything else that automatically comes with the plane. $130.00 shipped, how you think I did?

I want to know what I can do to "PREPARE" for the first flight, I want to make the place as durable as possable. Pics woudld be good, a video would be better! because I do not know all the correct lingo yet.

Any changes I should make before I take her up for the first time?

Thanks! I'm excited!

George
Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 PM
lehrscott4

Just remember to wait for a calmish day and get alot of altitude so you have room to make mistakes. Go easy on the controls and try your best to stay relaxed. Good Luck!