Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 RX, Tx and battery >

RX, Tx and battery

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RX, Tx and battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: RX, Tx and battery

I never said that you were wrong about about Futaba equipment. I was merely pointing out that you were wrong about Airtronics equipment. Incorrect posts such as this in the Beginner's Forum can cause quite a bit of problems. You need to realize that many people (including yourself) come here to get advice about getting started in this hobby. However, some do not ask there question directly but mearly browse these forums to try to find the information they need. When they come across a post such as yours that has incorrect information in it they have no way of knowing that it's wrong and believe what the post says. This is EXACTLY how false information rumors gets started. This is why myself and the rest of the members that regularly frequent this forum make is a point to correct false information whenever possible so that others down the road can find the information that they need. This is why this forum is here, to get CORRECT information to members.

Ken
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I was misleading, I will no longer be providing 'advice'. Sorry I had an extremely bad day, and this year is no better (already) than last year for me and my family. By Spring I may have lost everything, including RC, so please forgive.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My flying friends around town mostly belong to RCUinverse and they often are telling me about something they read here but none of them have ever made but a couple posts
Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now back to the subject. Basically what you need is at least a 4 channel radio system with 4 servos. For most of the 40 sized aircraft look for servo's with 42 ounces of torque minimum.

If you plan on having any aircraft in the near future that has retracts and or flaps I would recommend forgetting a 4 channel radio and jump on a 6 channel radio. Then all you would need to do is get the extra servo's and you are good.

You don't need the seperate charger unless you decide to get the larger battery pack, but for starters neither are necessary. The better charger for the larger pack would be one of the peak chargers. The one you have listed is basically set up as an overnight charger with no trickle charge.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:25 AM

ORIGINAL: jrcaster

If you plan on having any aircraft in the near future that has retracts and or flaps I would recommend forgetting a 4 channel radio and jump on a 6 channel radio.
Heh, which will of course later result in wishing that you had purchased a 9 channel radio!

But the advice is sound, DO NOT scrimp on the radio.

Find the best you can afford, then figure out how to buy an even better one.

One great TX will serve to control many planes, and will ultimately end up saving you more than the upgrade difference later.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM

CG
She is a cold one today 3* No wind, not sure I want to go to the field this morning. I'm getting old and frail. I would like to try my DeHavilland Beaver on Floats, Plenty of new snow, 12*. To fluffy for the models with ski's.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Gene. We're getting rain today. Was supposed to be snow, but it got to warm for that.. hovering around 40 degrees. So, I've been working on the Protege (see thread).

Gonna get some breakfast very shortly.

CGr
Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Just had mine. Hickory smoked bacon, 1 egg basted soft and english muffin. Oh, some sugar free blackberry jam. Coffee on the side. Really debating on going flying. I got a mongo mitt for Christmas and getting anxious to try it out.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: shd3920

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: shd3920

Here is the Airtronics, does not include crystals
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPV52**&P=0]Airtronics VG400[/link]
This information is not correct. Airtronics ALWAYS includes the crystals in their radio you do not need to purchase the crystals seperately like you have for a Futaba radio.

Ken
I may have been wrong about Airtronics not having crystals (did not see them listed in the product description) but I am NOT wrong about Futaba having crystals.

Features as listed in Towerhobbies:
INCLUDES: One Futaba 4YF 4-channel FM radio system with NiCd batteries, charger
frequency flags, neck strap, servo tray, switch harness, four
S3004 servos, servo mounting hardware, transmitter and receiver
crystals
and R168DF Receiver

One of the reasons they may advertise "TX and RX crystals" is because you just can't swap out TX crystals without doing some tuning to the transmitter. It is illegal for the consumer to swap out TX crystals. All of the radios except those with synthesizers built in (Polk for instance) and those with TX modules you can buy, come with crystals tuned to a specific channel or frequency. The 2.4 GHz also do not have crystals because of the way they operate.

That's why, when you order a radio set (TX, RX, servos, charger, and so on) you have to specify what channel you want them to ship to you.

CGr.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Hmm.. bacon sounds like a plan. I have some thick cut and some fresh (well, just bought 'em) eggs, so perhaps a typical breakfast for me today.

No flying, though.. lousy out there.

CGr.