Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

are Magnum XLS 46 Engine good engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

are Magnum XLS 46 Engine good engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 PM
mxaexm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are Magnum XLS 46 Engine good engines?

hobby people sell it for less than $50...i'm thinking of buying it and use it either in the Mid-Star 40 or Tiger 2....the question is...are they good engines???

I have OS 46 fx in my trainer and I love it!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: are Magnum XLS 46 Engine good engines?

For $50 you can't go wrong. I have one of the Magnum XLS 46's in the Model Tech Mach Racer that I reviewed for RCU. That engine screams like a stuck pig. It's really a great combination for that plane. From what I have seen on Magnum is that you either get a great engine, or a dud. There's not much else in between. But if you do get a dud they are very good at customer service and will hook you up. WIth the recent sales going on a few of my flying buddies have purchased Magnums (both the 46 here and the recent 52 4-stroke that they sold) and they have been really happy with them so far.

But for the money on this sale it's really worth it.

Oh yeah, by the way, I ordered 3 of them from the sale if that helps you out any!!!

Ken
Old 01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
mxaexm

ORIGINAL: RCKen

For $50 you can't go wrong. I have one of the Magnum XLS 46's in the Model Tech Mach Racer that I reviewed for RCU. That engine screams like a stuck pig. It's really a great combination for that plane. From what I have seen on Magnum is that you either get a great engine, or a dud. There's not much else in between. But if you do get a dud they are very good at customer service and will hook you up. WIth the recent sales going on a few of my flying buddies have purchased Magnums (both the 46 here and the recent 52 4-stroke that they sold) and they have been really happy with them so far.

But for the money on this sale it's really worth it.

Oh yeah, by the way, I ordered 3 of them from the sale if that helps you out any!!!

Ken
RCKEn,

thanks for your advice...

For the price I think I will take a risk and order it....I have xls 61 in my Four Star 60 but haven't flown it yet...so I cant say if its good or not...
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

You're not taking a risk by buying a Magnum engine. They're a terrific engine and the XLS .46A is powerful, reliable, quick to break in, and easy to tune.

Because Magnum engines are made in mainland China rather than Taiwan or Japan, the quality control isn't quite as consistent as other brands. Global Hobby, the distributor for Magnum engines, offers very good customer service and warranty support. You might have a slightly better chance of needing warranty support than with a more expensive brand of engine, but Global will take good care of you if the need arises.

You can expect many years of very good service out of your Magnum XLS .46A two stroke.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have (2) of the 46's. just got the second one in the mail yesterday, I have about 10 Magnum engines at home. they all are really good engines. they run well, idle well, have good power. Also about 1/2 the price of the others. I may end up ordering the .90 that is on sale for $99.99.

good engines, you will like it. break it in per directions and have fun. there is a thread in the engine forum about this engine. There is also th eClub Magnum thread.

Dru.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 PM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

Heck for that price and free shipping on any item over 25.00 bucks. I don't even need a engine but i think i will buy one anyways. Can never tell when i might need one for a new plane are one of my others might go out on me.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 PM
mxaexm

I just got one....the price is just right!! $47.99..!!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Jacked69

Personally I do not like magnums, I had one on my FW 190 and had nothing but trouble, always was tuning it and retuning it, IMO just spend the same amount on a super tigre and youll also have more BHP.....Or a OS if you want to pay the price, but they are IMO one of the best.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much everything Ken said. I don't use them myself but I fly with several guys that do. One friend had one new mounted on his plane, we tried to fire it and it wouldn't turn over even with the glow plug out and the engine heated?? He just took it back to the hobby shop and they gave him a new engine. Before he walked out he tried to roll it over and it was locked up too. They gave him another engine and it was fine, got back to the field and it started and ran just fine. You either get a good one or not. This could also have been a bad batch that the hobby shop had gotten in for the sale?? If you can, try looking up Kangke, Super Kraft and take a look at the line up of the SK engines, so far I have been very pleased with the SK line. I love there .91 engines.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Warbird Joe

MX you can't go wrong with that engine. Just like Ken said and all the other positive reviews. I had a couple OS and Super Tigre engines and got rid of them and use nothing but the Magnum. They are easy to tune and run great. And on sale or not the Magnum is priced right.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an XL46A that runs great, an XLS15 that is a Screamer, a nice running XL30FS and just bought an XL52FS that hasn't been run yet. Oh yea and a GPA40 that is super fantastic, but it is not stock ,(aftermarket carb and exhaust).
My experience with their customer service has been really positive.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I have one tank through mine, and it sounds as if it will be a strong little engine.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I haven't found an engine yet that I haven't liked. I've run O.S. Max, Thunder Tiger, Super Tigre, GMS, Magnum, MECOA, HB, Saito, JBA, and Enya engines and they've all been great. Each seems to have its own set of quirks, but they've all ran well and been fun to fly.

I have Magnum XLS .46a and .52a two-strokes and a pair of the wonderful XL .52 RFS four strokes. I have an old Super Tigre Bull Ring .46 and a new G-61 ringed that I fly regularly and both are terrific. I flew a GMS .47 for a full season and it was amazing with regard to power and transition, but I had to send it in for warranty repair after flying it with the cylinder head slightly loose. Hobby Services shipped me a brand new replacement engine in one week's time. I have an old O.S. Max .46 FX that I bought used four years ago that is still flying perfectly. Running that engine always reminds me why so many pilots love O.S. Max engines.

If I could only fly one brand of engine, I'd fly Thunder Tiger. Quality and power at an easy-to-swallow price, I really like their entire engine range. I currently have flying a Pro .46, a GP-61, and an F-91s with two GP-07s and a GP-40 waiting for additonal projects. If a Thunder Tiger isn't expensive enough, then I'd likely order the most comparable Enya available to soak up any additional disposable income I need to shed.

I'm still looking for excuses to buy and fly a K&B Sportster .46 or .61, a K&B Screamin' .48, a JBA .75, a Webra Speed .55, a YS 63s and/or YS FZ110-S, a Saito .56 or .62, and a Thunder Tiger F75-s. I love playing with all kinds of different glow engines, figuring out their favorite plugs and fuel mixes, and getting each of them to run its best.

I will eventually have to rent warehouse space if I am to own a plane for each of the different engines I'd like to give a try.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only had one Magnum it was a .15xls,bought it used, but a screamer, no tuning problems ...like a timex...Rog
Old 01-22-2009, 08:20 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big EdM. We seem to be of like mind,,,,,,,,. Should I be scared?

I think I will be selling my K&B Sportster .45 to help pay for my new XL52FS.,,,,,,,, Have to is more like it. [sm=lol.gif] It is a fun engine but I gotta draw a line somewhere. []