Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hobby City no good. Anyone else?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hobby City no good. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby City no good. Anyone else?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5431&Product_Name=AX_1806N_2100kv_Brushless_Micro_Motor _(19g)

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2161&Product_Name=TURNIGY_Plush_12amp_(2A_BEC)___BESC

I want to order these as well as battery packs but I can not get hobby city to accept credit cards. WHY? Is it because they are located in Hong Kong?

Now that I am set on getting these after many hours of deliberations, and can't order them. I am P***ed off

Are there any LOCAL online suppliers that have the same equivalent 70 watt motor and battery packs at the same economic values as hobby city?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:58 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Hobby City no good. Anyone else?

Set yourself up a free paypal account, then you can add your credit cards to the paypal as the payment method. That is how I ordered my stuff from Hobbycity.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
goirish

However their ad shows they take MC, Visa, Discover.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
brett65

ORIGINAL: goirish

However their ad shows they take MC, Visa, Discover.
Maybe all he had was AmEx

Oops, it says amex too!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
shd3920

It is one of those Vanilla Visa one-time visa gift cards I am trying to use and Hobby City and PayPal are not recognizing it. I know these cards work because I just used a separate card at both Hobby-Lobby and Towerhobbies.

Are there any economic motors equavilent to this one at either towerhobbies or Hobby-Lobby?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: shd3920

It is one of those Vanilla Visa one-time visa gift cards I am trying to use and Hobby City and PayPal are not recognizing it. I know these cards work because I just used a separate card at both Hobby-Lobby and Towerhobbies.

Are there any economic motors equavilent to this one at either towerhobbies or Hobby-Lobby?
Not all on-line ordering systems will accept the one-time gift cards for some unknown reason.

Hogflyer
Old 02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

Not all on-line ordering systems will accept the one-time gift cards for some unknown reason.

Hogflyer

because there is no way to verify the address with gift cards, so no way to verify the owner
Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
shd3920

Hogflyer
So what other online economy motors are out there? I am getting frustrated that I can not find a motor for this plane.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
brett65

Hogflyer
When those cards get down to a point, they will only work if the exact amount that is left on the card is requested. I had that problem several times.

Not sure where to get anything that cheap, but you could try to transfer the amount left on the card to a paypal account and then order from Hobbycity.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:40 PM
mclina

I have not found anyone that comes close to Hobby City for motors, ESCs and especially LiPo's.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM
TedMo

This much I can tell you. having looked at the links you sent you will not save much on those items after paying the postage.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: TedMo

This much I can tell you. having looked at the links you sent you will not save much on those items after paying the postage.
Which is why most people buy more than one or two items from Hobby City at a time. They have good deals on a lot of the small little things. I've purchased quite a few LiPos from them, too.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 PM
mclina

If you put together a decent size order at Hobby City, you can get pretty fast shipping for like $19. This is way less than what you save on a couple of battery packs and a Turnigy motor compared with some domestic retailers.

On really small orders, you can do the cheap $3.95 shipping which usually takes a couple of weeks, but is quoted at much longer.

You do need to think before you hit the "order" button, to make sure that you have everything you need. If you have to place multiple orders, the shipping will start to hurt.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:52 PM
MikeL

And you need to make sure everything you're ordering is in stock... otherwise, oh, what a miserable experience!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Stuntpilot51

The closest you will get on price with HC is this place, nobody even really comes close to HC when it comes to low budget.

http://lightflightrc.com/indexHTML.htm

shipping will be minimal on that small order, when you add lipo's it goes up considerably. As mentioned make a large order and pay the shipping, and absolutely no backorders or you'll be sorry. They hold the entire order with one BO. Don't plan on returning anything either, consider it a lost cause.

You have to play HC's game with Pay-Pal it's the only way to do it.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 PM
MikeL

Light Flight RC is great! I've always gotten super fast responses to my questions. Good prices, too!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:26 PM
sportrider_fz6

I've bought from hobbycity and had no problems other then it seemed to take forever for them to ship. but aside from waiting the turnagy motor and ESC I got are awesome. if I was in a hurry I'd just pay more and go through Tower, there shipping is fast.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Allfat
My Feedback: (1)

I use hobby city for batteries and a few other random things. The EMS Express shipping is the way to go. It really pays off in the end if you fill up your allowed weight limit. Also, I can order on a weekend and have the order by the following Thursday or Friday. Can't beat that!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
opjose

For the past three weeks I've ordered parts ( with Credit Card ) from Hobby City on a Sunday night, and receive them by Thursday of the same week using EMS.

Approximately $68.00 for a 14.8v 5000mAh LiPo 20 C pack or $19.00 for a 2100mAh 25C pack cannot be beat even with the high EMS shipping costs.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:13 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I <3 Hobby City
Old 02-13-2009, 04:26 PM
beau0090_99

Ahh Ed,
Just in time for Valentine's day. I just made my first order on Saturday and with what I have heard from others, I too will most likely fall in love with them.
Curtis
Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM
MikeL

I have a love/hate thing with them. I had a backordered item once, which by the time it was in stock another item was backordered, and so on. They did, after a fashion, work with me on that.

The other thing that makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable with them is that when I place an order, it usually starts with batteries. Then I start to fill up my shipping weight allowance, so I buy "little" things that I need to complete projects. I think I spent about $60 on products with them last time. Now, $35 or so of that were batteries, but $25 were little items. Things that I would usually buy at the LHS. I estimate that I pay 4-5 times the cost for the same products locally. That's about $100-$125 that I would have otherwise spent at the LHS. I don't know if I may be being penny-wise and pound-foolish with that, particularly given the fragile state of our hobby shops here in the Twin Cities.