Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 New to fly an airplane >

New to fly an airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New to fly an airplane

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to fly an airplane

I am buying an airplane a trianer of course, I never flew a plane but I tried my luck with helis and stuck in hovering and want to try now an airplane.

Flying a heli I found it quite hard will see now what I can do with an r/c plane

Cheers
Joe
Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: New to fly an airplane

Good luck. never flown a Heli, but hear that planes are much easier. Which plane are you buying?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 AM

Same here i owen 6 heli,s or should i say repair 6 heli,s lol, they are fun but hard as hell to fly, and they are money pits
i just ordered a super cab from hobbyzone i hope i have more fun and less repair with planes
i wish ya good luck, and hope i have some too
see ya in the air
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 AM

defo helis are much harder than planes. you tend to progress so much quicker in planes!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 AM

It is good to hear that you want to start flying rc planes But flying rc planes is not exactly easy to learn without an instructor.
If you plan on learning this all by yourself then you`r interest will drop quite quikly! Becouse you are going to crash no mather what!
So get an instructor and before you know it you are flying solo Its well worth it!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 PM

Hi guys

thanks for your replies, I am getting a high winger palne with a 39 engine on it, its cheaper then buying a heli for sure, so its worth the try. I won't be flying this alone I will be having someone with me to help learn to fly. I am looking forward to this and hope I will enjoy it more then flying a heli. Flying a heli its nice but it is very difficult to learn.

Cheers

thanks for your help

Joe
Old 03-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

I fly a Micro Heli... matter in fact it's my first Heli. I've been flying R/C Aircraft for about 6 years and to me I find that flying R/C planes is much easier over all.

If I were to fly a Scale Fokker Dr1, Gee Bee or a Scale J-3 Cub on a windy day... then I would say my chopper would be easier.

You'll love it Joe... welcome to the club.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Luftwaffe Oberst

I fly a Micro Heli... matter in fact it's my first Heli. I've been flying R/C Aircraft for about 6 years and to me I find that flying R/C planes is much easier over all.

If I were to fly a Scale Fokker Dr1, Gee Bee or a Scale J-3 Cub on a windy day... then I would say my chopper would be easier.

You'll love it Joe... welcome to the club.
Interesting. People fly airplanes for several years and try a heli a couple of times and declare that helis are much harder to learn than airplanes. If you had an instructor to teach you to fly airplanes, but had to learn helis without an instructor and then helis can be harder to learn. Suppose you had an instructor to spend as much time teaching you to fly helis as you did with fixed wing?

I teach people to fly both types of aircraft. I ask them which was harder to learn? Most say that airplanes were more difficult. You see, all I need to do is give them less than an hour of hands-on instruction to learn how to hover and then they can safely go home and learn the rest on their own. Usually by the next day they can hold a sustained hover, most of the time for a whole tank. Keep in mind that most never had any sim time at all. With airplanes, I have to teach them takeoffs, flying smoothly, orientation and how to land, which means I might have to stay with them for a half dozen lessons or more.

CCR
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Interesting point. When I first started learning to fly rc I did try planes and helicopters. I have flown a few small electrics including the Blade Cx2, Blade 450, and a T-rex. The T-rex was really beyond my skill level at the time and I'm glad I did have its owner there as a "trainer". I guess I backed off the helicopters because I was ahead of the game a little on planes and they were more natural for me. I also fiqured out real quick heli's were easier to break and cost more to repair in most cases. But your point is valid, if had put as many hours into learning heli's as I did planes and had a good instructor, I would probably have progressed just as quickly or quicker with helicopters.