Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Loss of signal to an AR500

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Loss of signal to an AR500

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 PM
jollycub
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of signal to an AR500

I purchased a DX7 this February and installed an AR500 in an Easy Sport. I flew it last week with no apparent problems. Yesterday, I flew it for about 10 minutes and brought it down. After I landed the plane, I couldn't turn it to come back to me. I thought I had killed the engine so started to go get it. As I started to walk to the plane, I goosed the throttle and the engine revved up. I was able to bring it back to me. I didn't think much about it and took my plane back to the pits. I fueled it up and later on took it back up again. This time I flew if for a few minutes when I lost control. Fortunately I was climbing after a turn so the plane was not headed towards the ground. I didn't panic and was able to gain control again and land it. After I landed the second time, I realized I had lost control after landing in the prior flight.
I have the receiver mounted on a pop cycle stick via velcro with a zip tie wrapped around it, I have the long antenna strung along the fuse in a shrink wrap tube. How can I tell if it is the transmitter or receiver that lost control? We range checked it and didn't have any problems. I suppose the safest thing to do would be send the receiver in to be checked.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Loss of signal to an AR500

If in doubt, send it in. Also what was the receiver battery voltage under a slight load when the problem occurred?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 PM
jollycub

I knew I forgot to mention something. The first thing I did after I brought it in the second time was to take a voltage reading to see if there was an obvious reason the receiver glitched. The voltage was around 5.1 volts on a 4.8 battery.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 AM
RedGN

I agree with jollycub, Test battery voltage under load. The ar500 will failsafe under 3.5 volts...maybe abit more.

If problem presist after battey is fully charged then call spektrum help line
Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Was the light on the AR500 flashing when you checked it? That would indicate loss of power to the Rx. Stikdude
Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
jollycub

Thanks for the input. I'm afraid I shut it off at the runway, then checked the battery. Next time I will leave it on to check the light. Great tip!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:24 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[8D]
Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
jollycub

Are you talking about using the wattmeter with an electric? I was flying a glow engine albiet implied (thought I killed the engine...fueled it up etc.) The voltage protector in the picture looks like a capacitor.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it does look like a capacitor, a large one, which would make sense.

Just for your information, and to add to your wealth of information, Capacitors tend to keep voltage constant by discharging as the voltage drops below the threshold, but it the threshold is what the battery is currently charged to. What this means is when the power is turned on, the capacitor will charge up to the supply voltage. When the system draw brings the voltage down (which happens when you move servos), if the voltage drops lower than the threshold which it is charged to, it will begin to discharge which tends to keep the voltage at the threshold point (note.. not the re-boot threshold point, but to the point where it was charged to, which is the nominal battery voltage).

CGr.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
A capacitor (which the above picture shows ) isn't needed on the recent Spektrum receivers!
Always bind the receiver and transmitter when all trim settings has been finally done!!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:45 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That capacitor device was designed to filter out noise generated by electric motors. This has been repeatedly stated by Danny Snyder, the JR rep.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
bjor

ORIGINAL: jollycub

I have the long antenna strung along the fuse in a shrink wrap tube. How can I tell if it is the transmitter or receiver that lost control? We range checked it and didn't have any problems. I suppose the safest thing to do would be send the receiver in to be checked.
I had some difficultie in placing the antenna on my first AR500. I didn't know wether to have the long antenna fully extended or looped. The picture in the manual showed the placement of the long antenna wire with it looped at the end. Thats how I've mounted mine now and I've had no issues. If you think about it, looping the end of the antenna makes a bit of sense as it increases diversity - much like the satelite Rx in the AR6200 and 7000. Maybe try mounting yours with the last couple of inches outside of the shrihk wrap and loop it back along the fuse.