Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

SAtio 100

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

SAtio 100

Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 AM
zbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAtio 100

I have a satio 100 that has about 1 gal of fuel run in it. Once in a while it will back fire when i am going from idle to full throttle, and the prop will come loose. Any ideas?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 AM
darrolair

Default RE: SAtio 100

low end is too lean
good luck,
Darrolair
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think so too. Anytime a 4-stroke backfires, at least one of the adjustments is too lean.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM
zbird

Thanks I will try setting the low end out a little. I left the cover off when I was running the engine, talk about a gas hog you can actually see the fuel getting lower in the tank as it's running.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
alfredbmor

What is the size of your tank?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every NEW Saito I have ever tuned is a sloppy gas hog, after break in and correct settings they get a bunch better. The 100 is one of the great little engines!! After you get it set up correctly you will love it!!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

At first it eats fuel as you break in. Once your break in is complete and tuned correctly...It really isnt bad at all on fuel.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
opjose

Since most engines supposidly come with the needles set from the factory, I often try to start new engines as they come.

I did this with my Saito 1.00.

I ran a few tanks through it, and began to slowly lean out the high end just a bit after every tank full.

After about six tank fulls ( 2 flights ) I had the high end set pretty well.

The low end was giving me NO problems, except I couldn't get the engine to idle slowly, with reliability.

I kept cranking the low speed needle in about 1/8th of a turn at a time...

Still the problem continued.

One person familiar with Saito's told me... "No, just keep cranking the LS needle in, until you can't even get a fast idle, then back it out."

So I did, ELEVEN ADDITIONAL TURNS!

This engine is SO tolerant of rich tuning that it will run slobberingly rich without fail ( except for the low idle ) and without cutting out.

After I found the LS setting a bit of additional tweaking made it run reliably ( but not too lean ), and now it sips fuel.

Along the way all my misfiring and backfiring stopped as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So far I have found all new Saitos low ends so fat I didn't understand how they could run at all. Thing is they do and it helps keep the break in from hurting anything. Once set correctly they are very nice running engines. First few tanks and the fat setting leaves behind a big oil spot, after that they are just like any other good running engine. Enjoy your 100!!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Ive broken-in and tuned 2 saito engines using the method described in the link below(91 & 100). FLAWLESS ( for me anyway). I have yet to have my first Saito quit(91)...and the other I just broke in a few weeks ago and have yet to mount, but the idle is just perfect and smooth with great transition. Take a look at the site. Alot of great info on Saitos in one place.

Upon initial break in , obivously the needles are sloppy rich. One tank lasted about 5 minutes on the Saito 100. After tuning and running on bench at all rpm levels, I got a solid 25 minutes out of a 10 or 12 ounce tank( dont remember which). I sure Ill get a bit less in flight; but expecting at least 15 minutes if not more.

Take your time and become a perfectionist at tuning. You're planes will live longer - my way of thinking anyway.

http://saito-engines.info/throttle_setup.html