Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine tuning update?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine tuning update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tuning update?

TTPro .36 on my Sky raider trainer.
Had a good night at the field. only one copter pilot so nice and quite to work on the engine.
The night before, I replaced my fuel lines.
I opened the HS 2.5 turns, started it up and let it warm up.
leaned it out until it was screaming then opened it a half dozen clicks.
At Idle I pinched the hose. it sped up then died. ran a little longer than I thought it should so I turned the low speed in 1/8 a turn.
Now it speeds slightly then dies, in about 2-3 seconds...

Anyway, I went about this process a few times just to get the feel and hear the engine.
At this point the copter pilot came over to offer help.
With no other planes around I could take off, fly, land, make a slight adjustment out on the runway and take right off.

Noticable loss of power at first so I landed and leaned it out abit. By the end of the night it was running pretty good. No dead sticks!

BUT. Take of at full power is great then when I idle down to 1/2 - 3/4 I'll be flying along and the engine will cough a couple times then run fine.
It does this throughout the flight. runs fine then cough, cough...then runs fine.

I want to get one more day working with it then I'll ask one of the club experts for help.

Steve

Old 05-07-2009, 05:22 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine tuning update?

Popriv.. How new is this engine? If it's brand new.. meaning, only one or two tanks run through it, it might just need to be run and flown.

Take it up, being careful not to go where you can't land it should it dead-stick on you, and give it some flight time. I wouldn't be surprised if it improved with each complete tank burned through it to the point where it has good idle, good transition, good full thorttle power, and good idle back from full.

CGr.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Phoenixangel

I have a tower .75 I just flew on my big stick .60, for the first 2 tanks this was the worst running glow engine I have ever heard. It missed and coughed and tried to die so much I started to wonder if something was seriously wrong. The only way this thing would run was so rich it was making a huge puddle under the exhaust. I ran a 3rd tank through it and about halfway through it started to clean up so I finally could lean it a tad and it actually would stay running. By the end of the third tank it was having exactly the same problem you describe about your TT.

I would not worry so much, after another tank on the ground a new plug and 4 actual flights it is running great in every way. My theory is that some engines are very tight and really need a much longer break in time then the manual would have us believe. This one said I could do it in one tank. I ended up with close to a gallon of fuel through it before it behaved like it should.I have my suspicions that it is not even close to fully broken in.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Popriv

I've run about 3 gallons of fuel through this engine.

Started flying it last june/july...

I'll keep at it....

LHS just gave me a Thunder tiger brand plug I'll try..

Steve

Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Phoenixangel

Since it has had that much run time, I would do a couple things first and foremost, I would clean up the entire fuel system, replace the lines, clean the tank, remove carb and clean the ports under the needles. I would try a colder plug, pre-ignition can cause some funky running problems.