Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Any how-to's on adding servos and setup?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Any how-to's on adding servos and setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:53 AM
FoxK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any how-to's on adding servos and setup?

Hi all
Eventually am looking into adding some video capability to my planes and eventually adding some ability to control the aim of the cam. Was wondering if there's any tutorials on setting that up?...
My current RC unit has a left and right movement on my throttle that is currently unused so I'm guessing that might be useable as cam control but how would one link that control with what I assume is a new servo that must be purchased?
Thanks for any help

FoxK
Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 AM
opjose

Default RE: Any how-to's on adding servos and setup?

Consider a FlyCamOne camera.

$99.00 gets you video recording to SD card, while the camera only weights about 2oz, so you can add it to practically any plane.

Results are good.

There are many threads about this here.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
FoxK

Yeah...i was looking at those...there's quite a few "bad" reports as well however but i'll have to look at these reports closer to see if its "user error" I suppose its fairly common to attach this to a servo on one axis to say move the cam from looking forward to looking down. I guess my question was when one adds a servo, how does one allocate a new servo you bought to your tx. My current tx has a free axis on the throttle (forward/back=throttle, but its side to side sxis is free) so I'm not even sure my tx can handle any more servos but this free axis makes me think i'd be able to buy a servo for a cam and use it with my tx....obviously all this is far in the future. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a forum on Aerial Photography and Video that you may wish to take a look at.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_81/tt.htm

Usually, someone has "been there and done that" so that might be the place to look around and ask.

CGr.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM
alfredbmor

The best way is to use a Tx with more than 6 channels and aditional proportional levers like the 9 channel JR system wchich has two aditional proportional levers or sliders and can be used for this particular purpose.
Other way is to use the throtle and one aditional channel to mix with, definitivly you need a computer radio.
I have seen the new advertised Hitec 9 channel radio on some magazines, I bet that it could be capable of doing so at a fraction of the price in comparison with the two leader brands.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
FoxK

Thanks all. I guess adding servos can be more advanced stuff so I think if I dabble into AP...i'll start with a simple cam where I can fix the lens to a certain direction like the one opjose listed..thanks all!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Warbird Joe

Hello FOX,

I have the FLYCAMONE and I absolutley love it. You can also add a servo and move the lense to where you want. For example, the lense straight ahead on take off and then flip your switch and the servo will move the lense down so you see below the plane.

The only thing that I don't like about the camera is the hundreds of sections of of pictures there are when you download it. Besides that, the camera is outstanding. You can't beat it for less than $100. IMHO

Joe
Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM
FoxK

Thanks Joe. I may go that route then. I just have to figure out how to add a servo for cam ctrl but I can worry bout that later. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:25 PM
opjose

You need a special add-on for the fly-cam one to add TX controlled movement or triggering.

However this is inexpensive.

Since you are just starting out, the FlyCamOne is the easiest and one of the cheapest ways to go.

You may find that after taking video a few times, you will not be that interested in this, so you will also have saved the cost of a more expensive system or a downlink type setup.

The FlyCamOne is light enough to use in about any plane. There are also headband holders for it, so you can record video while doing active sports, such as biking, skydiving, bungee jumping, etc.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:17 PM
FoxK

I think i got some understanding now about adding servos etc. I looked at my rcvr in my plane and i'm guessing its that unit that decides what inputs from the tx go to what servos. Looking inside, it looks like my rcvr has a set of pins open for a servo so that looks promising. I may just get the cam for now and worry about that later. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 PM
bruce88123

The "free" axis you are speaking of on the throttle is the same one you will probably soon be using for Rudder and steering in the near future unless you stick with very simple planes. You will need to step up and get a radio with more channels. Check into the video forums to get better ideas.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM
FoxK

Understood....in the meanwhile, could it be used to move a cam on 1 axis (ie looking forward to looking down and all pts in between)?
i currently have a 4-channel TX used with an EDF jet with Aelerons, throttle and elevators so I'm guessing there's room for one more servo?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 PM
bruce88123

It can but remember that it is spring loaded to the center position. This makes this a little harder. The centering spring could be removed (put in a safe place so it can be re-installed at a later date. Maybe in a SMALL baggie tucked inside the TX).
Old 05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
FoxK

Gotcha. Might work out ok.....have the centered position pointing the camera to a good default position and use the controller to look left and right, or up and down for short periods.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
opjose

You'll find that moving it is of little value. I have this setup and it is not that useful.

You are best off making multiple similiar flights with the camera lens directed differently.... then splice the segments together for best effect.

Cameras need as little vibration from the engine as possible.

Even electric planes tend to vibrate the cameras too much, and the best pictures/videos are had when you shut down the engines.

I haven't tried it with an EDF, but I've tried about everything else. ( Electric Helis do surprisingly well... ).

If you go to YouTube you'll see plenty of videos short with the FlyCam one.

If you see videos with a "tearing" effect in the video, then this is caused by engine/motor/prop vibration.

I've used bigger cameras in planes with similiar results.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:41 AM
FoxK

I ended up with the flycamone2 and got it for $79 at hobby-lobby.  Picked up a copter too while I was there...a lama v4 so that should be fun
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 PM
opjose

You'll have fun with that setup. Remember that you'll also need an SDcard for the camera.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
FoxK

Think I got some spares around...does it use the little tiny card that comes with the larger quarter size ones
Old 05-16-2009, 02:43 PM
opjose

Larger ones....
Old 05-23-2009, 06:21 PM
FoxK

Thanks for all the help...got it and velcroed it to my battery pack today.  Only flown a helo twice so i did a bunnyhop flight.  The turns etc were accidental lol...had a great landing though...despite some panic just before as it was sinking like a rock.  4MB video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Awe1BBnHiQ