Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The addiction?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The addiction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The addiction?

I was wondering if flying starts to get a little mundane after awhile for anyone? I figured after a few weeks I would start to get bored with flying and move onto something else. But after allmost 7 weeksI am getting more and more addicted. Even to the point of heading to the field tomarrow after work.

3:30 in the afternoon in Houston Texas will be 98 deg. F.

I must behooked!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The addiction?

Nope, I don't have any problem

I am sure that it is like most other hobbies, there is always something that you can improve on, Even Tiger has off days, but I think that is why people get into scale planes, or pattern flying, or speed, etc.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Ha, I thought I was getting bored with the pattern stuff I was doing. Then I went from the 'beginner' moves to the 'intermediate' moves and opened up a whole new can of fun, challenge, and excitement.

There are bigger and better planes, twin engines, Pattern, Pylon, IMAC, 3D, flying lawn mowers, skis, floats, pushers, tractors, electric jets, gas power...

You can even design and build your own, from scratch!

I am hooked and if I get bored, it's my own fault for not trying something new.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
TideFlyer

Mundane?No, not if you don`t want it to be. There`s always new things to try. I think it`s good to have a couple (or more!) of different types of planes to fly. A sport plane, say, and a more scale warbird, for example. They fly and, particularly, land differently. On top of that is the whole friendship aspect of the hobby.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:21 PM
jetmech05

Teaching....I love to teach the new guys...no students I'll fly my planes....gettin into gassers...been at this for a short time compaired to some I've only been flying 6 years....but that's every Sat and Sunday....plus alot of wednesdays.....still like the way my aircraft looks on approach....
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
andrewtexas123

There are so many sides of this hobby you will never get board!!! You can build, fly, collect, teach, go to competitions and so much more.. Where in Houston do you fly?

Andrew
Old 06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
bonebreak

I don't get to fly enough for it to get mundane. I get out once a week at the most. I make the most out of that one day however.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

If I ever do actually get bored its time  to get a new plane or it ends up bad for my old one because I will try to do something  that I haven't been able to do. For instance, the last electric J-3 cub that I crashed met its doom flying inverted about 3 feet off the ground. At 3 feet high it's hard to roll it back over when it won't climb out  and you have no ailerons. Oh well, not bored anymore cause now I have the challenge of trying to repair a plane that everyone says can't be fixed. Knife edging one of my Avistars ended up the same way. Now I have one with a bigger rudder and bigger engine that will knife edge fairly well for a trainer. I can't see the term "mundane" ever being used to describe my flying experience.  "Frustrating" does apply once in a while though.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I've been at it for 30 years now and I still love it.

I can't tell you how many people I have seen come and go in this hobby. ITs hundreds, if not thousands. All the time , I have people come up to me and introduce me to their families as the guy that taught them to fly back in the 1980's and I don't have a clue who some of them are.

Most folks are just in RC for a few years, stay less than 3 or 5 years.

I credit my own longevity in this hobby to, 1.) I'm pretty simple, and 2.) I'm a pretty slow learner
Old 06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

The only thing - or reason that Itend to drift away a little is because of the amount of work required to keep these things flying. I know, Iknow, its part of the hobby....but Im short on patience - well was! Anyhow....When you start to get a little bored...you then move on to the the next level, whether it be planes or maneuvers. As you progress things will just click, and then you start to experiment with settings etc and see how they affect changes. Its pretty cool.

But at the end of the day...its all about balance. I might not want to fly EVERY SINGLEDAYas Idid when I first started....but I will never get rid of my planes; as I want them there when I know a group of guys at the club will be heading over to the field, or when Im ready to play hookie and forget about everything else

Well - maybe I would fly everyday if I had a backyard as big as my field Wouldnt that be convenient!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I got bored with RC cars, probably because I never raced or went to tracks. But RC flying is a lot more interesting and challenging to me, and has held my interest for about 5 years so far. I don't care for the building part of the hobby, I just like to fly. I'm finally as good a pilot as I initially hoped to be, but I can still work on some more advanced  flying, and that keeps it interesting.

I can go to the field and do my usual sport flying and relax and have fun, or I can work on some more advanced stuff that will keep me on edge, whichever I feel like.

With RC cars, theres only so much I can do before I get bored tooling around my driveway.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 PM
brainox

ORIGINAL: bonebreak

I don't get to fly enough for it to get mundane. I get out once a week at the most. I make the most out of that one day however.

actually, even if you fly plenty of times you will never get bored. it's up to you on how you will challenge yourself to keep your enthusiasm on the hobby.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
redfox435cat

ya it can get boring, I have taken a couple breaks from the hobby, the last one I got my private ticket. What keeps me interested is the people. What got me addicted was competeing. You don't have to compete to win, winning is fun and I've had my wins, but just competing keep me coming back. Something to look forward too, strive to do it faster and cleaner,coming up with tweaks to get every hair of power out of a little motor without it exploding It's differant for everyone. My thing is speed, though I admit I've yet to go to full on qm40. Those guys are nuts. really it's simply a cost thing, droping a 1500 bucks on a model meant to be destroyed is beyond my price range.

My only problem with the hobby is maintinace. I love to build, I like to fly. I hate maintinance. Probably why I like renting real planes insted of buying one. I show up to field, look over the plane, fuel it and go and bring it back, they deal with everything else. With the models about every hour of flight is about 2 hours of maintenance. Sometimes I think I should crash one every once in awile since I haven't totaled one a over a year, knock on wood.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Rforce1

I've taken little breaks here and there, but for the most part it's always fun and relaxing for me.  When I last started getting bored, I mixed it up and got into speed planes.  Like someone above said, there are tons of variations of the hobby to keep it fun
Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
GaryHarris

Well I'm either hooked or stupid.  I have 6 kits  to build yet.  My second plane will be the 4* .60 and all I have done so far is build one wing half and just ordered a Saito 100 bk for it. 

Who needs food?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Im definitely hooked, i cant seem to get enough, thats why started building a kit... i also totaled one of my 3d gassers because of a servo failure and slowing down in the hobby wasnt even an option, i gained my composure and 15 minutes later i went up again to clear my mind of the negative feelings.flying can be theraputic

Flying can be boring especially if you are just flying incircles, unless its a scale aircraft... For example i have 3d/aerobatic, pattern, sport, and slow flyers and i fly each "genra" of aircraft as they were designed to be flown. It took me a while to find out what it was that i wanted out of this hobby and now i know....and look forward to the weekends
Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes Ido get bored flying, Ilearned to fly so I had a reason to build more. There really are a lot of reasons to be into RC and the flying is only one part of it. Ihave been building them most of my life, I am better then most Sunday sport flyers but that happened over time, you can't keep doing it without getting better over time. Ialso know pilots that have only been into RC for a short time and much better pilots then Iwill ever be. I prefer building planes then getting them into trim then Iwant to build another one. Ido try to fly a couple of times a week though and enjoy myself, Ieven spend a lot of time flying when I'm the only one at the field, not really safe but Idid drive all the way to the field for a reason. Ilike to think of it as a social sport too and really like the guys Ifly with.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Adding to some have said about the people....i think being able to meet up with members at the field to fly and bs is half of it. Its a great part of the hobby. A day of 3 flights and great people is more fun to me than 10 flights...alone!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

i dont know if im weird, but i can fly a gws slowstick in circles <3 feet off the ground for 20 min and not get bored. (or circleing way up their, laying in a lawn chair)
then i can fly my yak or fun 51 and have a blast doing/trying new manuvers,
then i can go back to flying my spad trainer in circles doing touch and goes and not get bored.

to me flying is flying. i have fun either way.
as of now im trying
3d / pattern / combat
to see which one i like the best. knowing me i will end up doing all of them
then to try scale/pylon
Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

The FDA will soon be adding RC planes to the same list as nicotine its that powerful!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Hi im Bob, Hi Bob! yes I am an RC'er,Totaly addicted! Love flying!But I like the building part to, we have such long winters here in Wyoming that it is nice to have something to do! I built 8 planes this last winter and now have been enjoying the flying part! I did on my first flight a maiden have the ailerons backwards, believe me that is not a fun flight! I got it back and been flying it again. Knock on balsa that i wont do that again! I can not get bored with it because I do find new ways to enjoy it, like right now getting ready for War-birds over the Rockies! But one of the best things has been the people thatI have met. They are second to none! I would not trade this sport for anything, Airplanes was my first love as a kid and has never left me! ..Bob

Remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 AM
redfox435cat

"i dont know if im weird, but i can fly a gws slowstick in circles <3 feet off the ground for 20 min and not get bored"

Darn right. I used to be called nose bleed at our old feild. I'd fly full bore with a viper all over the property and rarley get over 5 feet.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:18 AM
andrew66

I really enjoy flying, but mostly just seeing who will show up with what plane.  I really like it when someone brings a new plane to the field, with either a really cool color scheme, or neat gadgets.  If im not there alone, I will usually only fly 2 times.  But I have more fun than being there alone and burning up a quarter gallon of fuel.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I've been flying for about a year and a half, and I'm having a ball....I just wish there was more interest in my area. There are only three of us flying at our "field", which is merely a small part of a farmer's field, that thankfully, he allowed us to use. There are three tables for the planes, but there isn't anything else...no shelters, etc. The field is less than perfect, with many dips and ruts, that make flying some of my planes all but impossible.We considered hiring someone to smooth down the runway, but we figured it waspointless, considering that the farmer's heavy equipment crossesthe runway every time they are in the field.Two of us started at about the same time, and the third fellow has been flying since the mid 60's, and has quite a few awards from various pattern meets. We have the occasional spectator come by, but we can't seem to get anyone to come "try the sticks". I goto the occasional fly-in, and am kinda jealous of you guys that are in a "real" club. I've considered joining the nearest club, but I really can't justify driving 40-50 miles, one way, to go fly for an evening. I've thought of putting an ad in the local paper, inviting folks out to come fly, but the "old timer" in our group doesn't think much of the idea. On the plus side, I live next door to a 5 acre field that the county keeps cut. That's where I fly my fomies....and I live within 1/4 mile from a large lake....yep, I've got 4 planes I can fly off the water. My point is, while I've got plenty of places to fly, and more planes than I know what to do with, it would really be nice if there were more pilots to fly with. Flying alone gets a tad boring, and probably isn't the smartest thing, safety-wise. Oh well, guess you can't have it all.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I was wondering if flying starts to get a little mundane after awhile for anyone? I figured after a few weeks I would start to get bored with flying and move onto something else. But after allmost 7 weeksI am getting more and more addicted. Even to the point of heading to the field tomarrow after work.

3:30 in the afternoon in Houston Texas will be 98 deg. F.

I must behooked!
Hello Gary

It is funny that you say that. Iwas wondering the same thing when I started. I have attempted many hobbies to find that after about a few weeks I am totally bored of it and wasted money. I started this hobby when Iwas injured and off of work forsix months. Three years and 6 planes later, Iam totally addicted. I am always looking on/at eBay, the hobby shops, various websites, and magazines. I can honestly say that I can't get enough. I am now slowly building a Sig Kadet Mark II Kit now. Iwant to build my own plane and see it fly.

This is by far the most relaxing and sometimes stressful hobby in the world. I just can't find enough time to be doing it.

Which brings me to the point of I was thinking about starting a new business, Flyers Anonymous. Is anyone interested?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.