Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second and 3rd plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second and 3rd plane.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second and 3rd plane.

Yes I used the search function thank you. My deal might be a little different though. Ive been soloing for 10 days, or times over the last 3 months. My current plane is an LT-40 with a Magnum .52 four stroke and I'm bored with it. My second plane was to be a Four-Star 60 kit with a Saito 100 thats allmost finished. I have about 120 hours in this build so far and have covered the fuse and about to cover the wing. Meaning I am about done and am worried about flying it, or really about crashing it. Before it's over with, I will have about $700 just in the build not counting my time building the plane. That comes out to a $2000 plane counting my time.

I'm afraid I will be really, really nervous flying my first low winged tail dragger, and my baby.

I'd rather crash an ARF with a less expensive engine if crashing is in my future. Of course I'm broke after buying the Saito, so buying from Tower using "Easy Pay" is pretty much my only option. Ill have to use an engine I allready have and I am in a hurry, so itll have to be an ARF.

GP Big Stick 40?

Will the Magnum 52 pull it, will it be a good transistion from a LT-40 leading into a 4* 60?

Thanks in advance.

I do NOT want to crash the 4*. I'm worried Ill be really nervous and too "TIGHT" to fly her straight out of trainer-hood.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Second and 3rd plane.

Sticks are great, so is the little 40 size Up-Roar. Your engine should fly them both. On all the Up-Roars I have built I have usually used the OS LA .46 engines and that was plenty of power. For maybe some better stunt type of flying the Kaos 40 is a pretty good choice.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4-Star would actually be a logical next step, it is a pretty forgiving airplane. I know what you mean though about being nervous.

Personally, I'd fly the wings off the trainer for a while. You'd be surprised what you can make one do. Then step up to the 4-Star.

Of course you could always slap together a 40 sized 4-star and use all the gear from your trainer too so you wouldn't have much in it. Same goes for the Goldberg tiger-2, Phoenix Dolphin (inexpensive ARF), GP Escapade (inexpensive ARF from a great manufacturer), etc.

The Stik would be a good one too, nothing wrong with it at all.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Gp Escapade or H9 Pulse XT maybe.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Jester241

Dont fly that 4* yet! Its a great plane...probly better 3rd plane. And by reading your post,your alot like me in that you put alot of effort and pride into your projects. So,its just not worth risking your 120+ hour plane in the air. It'll always be there hanging on your wall though till your ready for it,and by then it wont seem so great(which is actually a good thing). With that said.....my second plane was a big stick .60 and MAAAAN am I glad I chose it because it was likely the BEST second plane I could have picked. A .40 sized stick will be good too I'm sure. I definely go with something like it before you fly your hard worked 4*. Not that your 4* is much harder to fly.....its just that you got too much time in it to smash it with your experience or even if your plane would malfunction.....it would suck(trust me). Buy something quick to build,not too expensive to build,and one that isnt the coolest thing(this is the most important). Then if worse case senerio happens.........it wont be "as" bad.

And just a tip....its always a wise decision to have a good instructor maiden your plane and land it the first time or two if your not comfortable. He'll let you take controls a bit midway through the first couple flights. At least then if worse case senerios happen....you got SOME flight time with it. He might also crash it,but you have to tell yourself.."the chance of him crashing it are WAY less then me crashing it". And its always good to go with the odds in your favor. That way,if it gets smashed...at least you did all you could do and make the right decisions (theres alot of satisfaction is that alone).

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Spoofer

I was in a similiar situation. I had been flying my trainer for a while, then built a Pulse 60. I got nervous to fly it, because...well you know. So I got a 40 size pulse and moved to that.
The funny thing is, the 60 pulse is actually easier to fly.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: Jester241

Dont fly that 4* yet! Its a great plane...probly better 3rd plane. And by reading your post,your alot like me in that you put alot of effort and pride into your projects. So,its just not worth risking your 120+ hour plane in the air. It'll always be there hanging on your wall though till your ready for it,and by then it wont seem so great(which is actually a good thing). With that said.....my second plane was a big stick .60 and MAAAAN am I glad I chose it because it was likely the BEST second plane I could have picked. A .40 sized stick will be good too I'm sure. I definely go with something like it before you fly your hard worked 4*. Not that your 4* is much harder to fly.....its just that you got too much time in it to smash it with your experience or even if your plane would malfunction.....it would suck(trust me). Buy something quick to build,not too expensive to build,and one that isnt the coolest thing(this is the most important). Then if worse case senerio happens.........it wont be ''as'' bad.

And just a tip....its always a wise decision to have a good instructor maiden your plane and land it the first time or two if your not comfortable. He'll let you take controls a bit midway through the first couple flights. At least then if worse case senerios happen....you got SOME flight time with it. He might also crash it,but you have to tell yourself..''the chance of him crashing it are WAY less then me crashing it''. And its always good to go with the odds in your favor. That way,if it gets smashed...at least you did all you could do and make the right decisions (theres alot of satisfaction is that alone).

I hear ya bro, but there is no way somebody else is going to maiden my 4 *.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

sell that saito and get this (if you need some cash) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXRH4&P=0 the saito in that plane would really haul it around but the magnum should do just fine.

i would go for it, let someone else maiden it (someone you trust). then just fly the plane, with some expo.
if you want some practice, set your trainers throws as high as you feel comfortable and have at it. also move the battery/ect farther back the make it more tail heavy.
on maiden day bring both planes, fly the trainer it settle your nerves then the 4*
Old 07-15-2009, 09:17 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

sell that saito and get this (if you need some cash) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXRH4&P=0 the saito in that plane would really haul it around but the magnum should do just fine.

i would go for it, let someone else maiden it (someone you trust). then just fly the plane, with some expo.
if you want some practice, set your trainers throws as high as you feel comfortable and have at it. also move the battery/ect farther back the make it more tail heavy.
on maiden day bring both planes, fly the trainer it settle your nerves then the 4*
Thanks, but selling the Saito is not an option. I'd like to hear more about expo though. That is something I wanted to ask about. My radidio is a footaba 4EXA
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get one of these. It's cheap, flies great and it'll get the butterflies out

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1086
Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Stop worrying about crashing and concentrate on flying! My second plane was a Spitfire. She flew great.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

EXP Exponential Settings (from http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/4ex-manual.pdf )
Negative exponential (-) decreases initial servo movement. Positive exponential (+) increases initial servo movement. The
exponential “curve” may be set anywhere between -100% and +100%.
To set the exponentials:
1. Enter the programming mode. Access the “EXP“ screen with the MODE key.
2. Select the channel (1-aileron, 2-elevator, 4-rudder) you wish to set by pressing the SELECT
key. The active channel number will be displayed on the screen.
3. Enter the amount of exponential with the DATA INPUT lever.
4. Repeat for the settings on the other channel.
Note: Before programming the exponentials, perform trim memory operation and then set the corresponding trims to center.

thats for your tx. what negitive expo (what you want) does it make the initial stick movements not as sentisive as the corners (or farther out depending on the setting
for example your rudder moves 3 inches, what -100 expo will do is make the full tx input give the full 3 inches of throw, yet 90% tx inputs will give you 1.5 inches of throw
i use between -20 to -40% expo depending on the plane. this just makes it easier to correct for little errors yet when the wind gusts still give me full control of my plane (think dual rates without flipping a switch)
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
ppkk

I am in a similar situation than you: I have been flying my trainer for the past little while also, and I have been building a 4*Star 60 that will be my second plane. It will have a Saito .91, and all I have left to do is covering it... which considering I have been building it for over 3 years (two moves, a baby and a graduate degree in progress...) I should finish it some time by the end of 2010

My plan? Continue to fly the heck out of my trainer and fly the 4* as soon as I am done. Worrying about crashing your plane is akin to having a race car that you are afraid to race. Get out and have fun.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Thats probably the biggest hang up early on....Too worried about crashing instead of keeping it up in the air.

ORIGINAL: Flak

Stop worrying about crashing and concentrate on flying! My second plane was a Spitfire. She flew great.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, have you flown one of those little planes yet?? I have never seen one before.
Gene
Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 PM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: ro347

Thats probably the biggest hang up early on....Too worried about crashing instead of keeping it up in the air.

Agreed. The times I've had the most problems during a flight was when I was so nervous about a wipeout that I forgot the basics and began overreacting and overcontrolling the plane.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gray Beard, have you flown a World Models Skyraider Mach-2? The Wingman is basically a slightly smaller version of it. We use the Mach-1 for our club pylon races. they are inexpensive and a blast to fly.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 AM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Get one of these. It's cheap, flies great and it'll get the butterflies out

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1086
Thats actually a pretty good looking plane! And CHEAP!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 AM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

EXP Exponential Settings (from http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/4ex-manual.pdf )
Negative exponential (-) decreases initial servo movement. Positive exponential (+) increases initial servo movement. The
exponential “curve” may be set anywhere between -100% and +100%.
To set the exponentials:
1. Enter the programming mode. Access the “EXP“ screen with the MODE key.
2. Select the channel (1-aileron, 2-elevator, 4-rudder) you wish to set by pressing the SELECT
key. The active channel number will be displayed on the screen.
3. Enter the amount of exponential with the DATA INPUT lever.
4. Repeat for the settings on the other channel.
Note: Before programming the exponentials, perform trim memory operation and then set the corresponding trims to center.

thats for your tx. what negitive expo (what you want) does it make the initial stick movements not as sentisive as the corners (or farther out depending on the setting
for example your rudder moves 3 inches, what -100 expo will do is make the full tx input give the full 3 inches of throw, yet 90% tx inputs will give you 1.5 inches of throw
i use between -20 to -40% expo depending on the plane. this just makes it easier to correct for little errors yet when the wind gusts still give me full control of my plane (think dual rates without flipping a switch)
Thanks. I know what expo is, use it on my cars, but I had no idea how much expo to use. Now I have a rough idea.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 AM
GaryHarris

I'm trying to convince myself I need another plane.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:32 AM
bigdanusa

Actually that LT 40 is flying You around with that "flat bottom" wing. The wind gets underneath that wing and tosses it all around.

You'll find that the larger 4 star 60 is a much smoother plane and will stay on track better than the LT 40. And it will cut through the wind better than the LT 40 and land like a big baby.

The 60 size low wingers aren't any harder to fly than the high wingers if you ask me.

You're worring too much. Go and fly it!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:35 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Mike, have you flown one of those little planes yet?? I have never seen one before.
Gene
Gene, I have never flown the Wingman 2, but I have the Wingman 1 (which is the shoulder-wing version) and it's a winner. They will fly fast, slow and anything in between with no bad habits.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:40 AM
bigdanusa

Most of the 40 size planes are like a "fly" in the sky compared to a 60 size "buzzard"!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM
bigdanusa

From my experience I know one thing! If you put a 4 stroke into the ground you can bet the cost in parts to repair it are "much" greater than if you put a 2 stroke into the ground!

Long time ago I had a goldberg cub with a super tigre 61 2 stroke that lost it's wing in mid air. The fusalage hit the ground at full bore and all it did was broke the prop and bent the needle valve.

Couple of years ago I had an OS 91 surpass 4 stroke that went into the ground from only 5 feet up during takeoff and there was $178 in damaged parts alone.

If I have only been flying 10 times like you say you have been, from my own personal experience, I'd have a 2 stroke on that 4 star 60 until I had more experience flying, period!

good luck
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 AM
DreamingTree1027
My Feedback: (5)

Fly the 4*. If money is already tight why spend more. You bought that plane as your second plane put effort into it and now you got to fly it. I remember when I was learning to fly(not that long ago) and people thought I was moving too quickly. They say get a trainer then a low wing trainer then this then that. I do not have that kind of money and I am not going to get a plane I don't want to fly. I used a club trainer for 10-15 flights and had it down, got a P-51 PTS flew about 75-100 flights and got a Yak - we will see how that one turns out. I fly a lot and practice on the sim so I progress quicker then what people expect, plus I might of had some natural ability, but anyways if you are comfortable fly it. IF YOUR NERVOUS WELCOME TO A MAIDEN FLIGHT. lol I maidened the first plane that I built and I was so nervous that I almost dropped the tx my hands were so sweaty.

Get high(I mean altitude), and just remember that a Trainer will float around a 4* will go where you point it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.