Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

College RC Pilot

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

College RC Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
DreamingTree1027
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College RC Pilot

Hi Everybody,

I am a college student, which makes being an RC pilot a bit more complicated. I go to college 4.5 hours from home. I started flying after I my 2nd year in school. I was wondering if anyone else is in college and if they fly at school. I have found that I do not have the space to store all of that stuff, the ability to bring all of it to and from school, and I am afraid they will break if I do bring them(parties and dumb drunk ideas). I have only one plane right now, had 2 but one was stolen, and I do not want to take the chance of it getting broken. Also it is large and and would be very in the way all year. One other thing is it is almost always windy at school. Pretty much over 15mph everyday. I wish I could fly but have no realistic way of doing it.

Just curious if anyone brings a plane to college. Maybe if I had a foamie or a heli I could do it but can't afford any more planes now. Unless someone has a donor. lol My parents do not really support the hobby so do not really help with costs and transport. My civic barely fits my 25% yak. not an expensive gasser, A cheap, used, needs a lot of tlc and work plane with a ST 3250. I wanted something big but this is all i could afford.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
davidgeorge212

Default RE: College RC Pilot

Yep, I am in that same situation. I go to scool 2 hours away from home and have a nice place to fly at school. I use a spare closet to store my airplanes. I built a rack to hang the fuselages on the wall and I just rest the wings up against the wall right underneath the plane. my closet was about 4' x 4' and it stored about 4 .40 size planes, a few foamies, and 3 helicopters. There is a baseball park right behind my condo and that is where I fly my foamies and helicopters.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
maerlma

sometimes a simulator can satisfy your thirst for flight. a lot less to store, too.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I'm in school too. For a while I had one plane which hung on the wall, kind of above the side of my bed, but I pulled the bed a foot away from the wall so oil wouldn't drip on my comforter. Last year I moved into a place with a roommate and an extra room, so half of that room is airplane stuff and half is storage for some of his stuff. I now have 3 planes but am pretty much busting at the seems as far as space goes.

I think you can make it work. A .40 size plane will handle the wind just fine (it does here in VT) and I'm sure there is a club somewhere near school. I'll see if I can attach a pic of my plane/rack. You can put 3 tiers - one for fuse, one for wings, and one shelf for radio/ field box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61482.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1250304  
Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Get a ParkZone Stryker. Fairly small, very fast, handles wind very well. Hand launches easily and can belly land just about anywhere. Flies well fast or slow. Just hang it on the wall somewhere to keep it out of the way (and display it).
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
DreamingTree1027

Yeah I had thought about getting a foamie but I do not have any electric stuff and do not want to really. I am sure that I could do it if I wanted to but it is not worth the hasle for me. My plane is too big and I can't buy another. I want an edf jet because I think I would just get bored of the stryker or other basic e-plane unless it was a profile 3d plane. I have G4 for a simulator but I get bored and have trouble doing realistic flights, lol. I love the Great Planes L-39 and it has the stand, maybe that could be squeezed into the budget. I could fly at dusk to try and keep wind to a minimum. Or I can get an electric heli.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Certainly not in school any more (we won't discuss how far out of it I am)...and didn't fly when I was. However, have a thought for you:

When I WAS in school, had need for some extra storage space...but couldn't afford a storage lease, and didn't want to be committed to a full year. Posted a quick ad in the campus newspaper looking for "storage-mates". Took all of 3 days, and I was turning away calls. Seems that college campuses are FULL of people who need a little extra space, but not a full 10x10 or whatever...and don't want to commit to $40/month (or whatever) for a full year. When all was said and done, we had 3 people leasing an 8x10 unit, and NEVER had trouble finding someone to take a spot when someone wanted out of the agreement.

As for flying fields, don't overlook the campus itself. Put together some sort of "professional" presentation detailing the space required, the liability coverage offered by AMA, that sort of thing...and then approach a suitable faculty member to sponsor the idea. Maybe a physics prof, or someone in the aerospace dept if the school has one...or heck, for that matter, just ask around...chance are pretty good there's a prof SOMEWHERE on campus that flies.

As for space, heck...is there an intramural field? Football/Soccer/baseball fields? Certainly there'd be limitations in cases like that, on when/what you could fly...but a little willingness to work within those could go a long way to convincing the appropriate folks that you've thought this through, and are serious about making it work.

With a faculty sponsor, and a legit proposal, you'll often find college boards quite a bit easier to work with than their reputation sometimes suggests. They're CONSTANTLY looking for ways to make the campus more appealing to prospective students in ways that are "wholesome and educational". Aviation has such a HUGE educational component, there's got to be dozens of ways you could sell the idea.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We had an avaition club in college and the R/C gear was school supplied. I also had a two-meter glider of my own. Luckily the school grounds themselves provided an ideal spot with various fields, ridges and hillsides to choose from.

GAwd, this was back in 1977.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
orangehat44
My Feedback: (1)

I understand man Im a 4th year Engineering student at RIT. I just started flying. Lucky for me I live with 3 people I trust very well, my girlfriend, my roomate who has been my roomate all through school and we're like brothers, and a very good friend and coworker from my on campus job. So I dont have any worry of anything getting stolen from home. I also dont live on campus any more, I live in a town house 2 miles from campus and since no one else really uses the basement its become my hanger. I dont know where you go but here at RIT we have an Aero modelers club, Aside from just recreation building nad flying they compete in a intercolligate competition i believe ( i havent joined yet but i plan on it with in the week) their workshop in the engineering building is huge and right next to the machine shop. Its full of tools and planes so i gotta think they let members store their planes there. So if theres not a club on campus were you can join and store your plane maybe you could look into starting a club. Check out our RIT club site and see what the competition they compete in, if your school has an engineering program you coudl probably get a prof interested and a club started. Just my 2 cents. Hope it works out for ya.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 AM
DreamingTree1027

I appreciate the ideas of starting a club, it is a good one however, probably not an option for me. I am a senior graduating in may with extra classes and a job hunt approaching. I don't think I would have the time or energy to start a club. I just wanted to fly a bit at school. We do have huge intramural fields and parking lots nobody uses I could fly in. I think I might convince myself that an edf jet is the way to go. It would be awesome if we had a club like RIT but we don't. My school has full scale aviation majors even so I bet it could work, but I am not the guy to do it. I spend a lot of time with friends/girlfriend at school so I am just looking for something on occasion, you know the long weekends where everyone but me goes home lol. I appreciate all of the ideas!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in school at Embry-Riddle (too bad they don't like planes at that school [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]), I had one plane, a Scat Cat 500 with a very small flight box and a gallon of fuel (and electric starter in the trunk of the car). I kept everything under my bed (raised up on cinder blocks). We had a model airplane club also, the Screaming Eagles.

We where lucky and had a high school just across the street from our campus - a 5 minute walk. The runway was the track, and we generally kept the planes inside the confines of the school yard. We did occasionally fly from a parking lot at the Daytona International Raceway, but usually got kicked out when the drivers found our gliders thermaling over the track distracting, or some pilot complained to the tower. We got kicked out of the high school only twice in 3 years.

If you have a football field to fly from, something like a Twist 40 or Dazzler would be great, or you could go electric. An EDF would be pushing the limits of a football field, but a small aerobatic electric would work. Just limit the type and amount of equipment you keep in your room just incase somebody does break in and damage or steal it.

Hogflyer
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
blueapplepaste

What about getting an indoor plane? I know you said you had no interest in electrics, but what about something like a Park Zone Ember or Vapor? If you wanted something more advanced maybe the Sukhoi. These would small enough to store practically anywhere. On my campus there are plenty of large lecture halls that aren't used at various times in the day. And I even saw a guy flying a foamie profile in the rec center gym once when it wasn't busy. So that could be an option.

It may not be ideal, but would let you get your flying fix until you can come up with something better.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
DreamingTree1027

Thats what i was thinking of too, 3dfoamy has some nice looking aerobatic foamies and I could have some fun with that in the yard or intramural fields. I would need more space for and edf but I think I have it, just wouldn't be as convienant.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Allfat

If you fly in a quad or something, be sure to get permission from your public safety office and make sure it is alright. I ran into this problem flying a small foamy in an empty parking lot. An officer came and watched for a little bit, said it was cool but I would have to stop because she did not know if it was allowed or not. She asked me to call the head guy and ask him if there either is a rule about it or not. This was my senior year, so instead of dealing with that, I just went to the park that was two blocks away and flew there.

But I doubt that it would have been a big deal if I had gone through with contacting the head security guy at the school.

And also be prepared for a crowd and lots of questions.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:13 PM
WestCoastFlyer

DreamingTree1027, I understand how electrics aren't appealing. I also understand the economics of being a college student. I went through those days and my son recently graduated from college, and so I completely appreciate the need at this point in your life to spend properly.

OK, having said all that, if you could wave a magic wand without money a factor, it seems an electric with a wingspan of around or less than 40" would be perfect for your situation. I've flown little lightweight electrics and they're not for me. You need nearly windless conditions and they don't take off and land like a model airplane. No offense to guys that fly those! There's nothing wrong with it.

But if you want to have the best experience of flying an airplane in limited sized areas, yet still behaves as a model airplane regarding landing and taking off, you need something like an Ultra Mini Stick. I have one. It's small but flies big, great in the wind, and behaves on take offs and landings as model airplanes you're used to.

Something in this size, in an electric would work out great if it fits in economically.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

How does that ST 3250 run?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was in college 1953-57 and MS work 1959-61. I flew control line and freeflight and went to contests. Lived in a dorm or rooming house in college, married at the MS level and lived in an apartment. Gave up modeling when I started PhD work and took it up again after I made Full Professor.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
draftman1

if your looking for a small plane, consider the SPAD dogfighter. its a .25 size, a 48" w.s. you dont have to worry about holes in the covering, there isnt any covering, they fly very well in wind and cheap to build, about 15 bucks for the airframe. easy to store because there not fragile. landing gear can be added

www.spadtothebone.com free planes classics.25 size-dogfighter
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 PM
WestCoastFlyer

ORIGINAL: draftman1

if your looking for a small plane, consider the SPAD dogfighter. its a .25 size, a 48'' w.s. you dont have to worry about holes in the covering, there isnt any covering, they fly very well in wind and cheap to build, about 15 bucks for the airframe. easy to store because there not fragile. landing gear can be added

www.spadtothebone.com free planes classics.25 size-dogfighter
draftman1!

First of all, that's a great idea about a Spad for a college student.

I had the pleasure of meeting draftman1 and others at the 1st annual Spads Over The Northwest a couple weeks ago.

Draftman, I'd like to thank you very much, I had a great time and enjoyed every minute I was out there. It really was fun to be there, the spirit of your event and the participants was special. I'll be there next year, I have to figure out how to build a spad.

And for people that haven't been around spads, they are amazingly resilient. Try hammering a plane into a limbo pole at 50+ mph then walking out to the plane, carrying it back to the pits, flip it over and take off again! Amazing.

Dave

Edited to add I can't leave out finally meeting Adui after emailing back and forth. You both are great guys and the perfect hosts - and the gentleman from Seattle had some pretty cool designs. Evergreen was great to host the event. See you next year!

And for the OP and everyone, you really need to check out spads.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 PM
draftman1

Glad you had a great time Dave, we enjoyed having you there. there are a number of smaller spads that are amaizing flyers. just perfect for a college guy or gal, you dont have to worry about damageing the plane when transporting it or from other un-respectful people. If you need info on building spads or materials, just let me know, we have some conections
Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

get a towerhobbies fun 51 or a mojo/primo .40
i can fly those in a small baseball field.
anything 100 yards long and 50 yards wide would be plenty.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I was lucky, there were several colleges near my home, so I was able to keep my shop at my parrents house.

And one of my friends from college also used our basement as his shop since he didn't have room in his dorm.

I'm not so sure our friendship was really good for us. We spent alot of time building and flying when we should have been studying. Back then, virtually no one could afford ARFs. We couldn't. We did fly some foam 1/2 A's that were really cheap and fun.

Anyway, my point was that a local flyer might have room for you in his shop.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
DreamingTree1027

It runs solid but I need to get it in tune. I had a deadstick on takeof that ripped the gear out so I am out of flying for the season. That is the problem with only having 1 plane.
Thanks for all of the tips, I could maybe swing a small electric but I doubt it so the sim will have to do for now. The problem is that gets old quick.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
WestCoastFlyer

Even though I like the spad idea, in your situation in the places you'll want to fly on campus or nearby, you want something stealthy (as in you fly it and it's quiet therefore people think it's harmless, rather than a .25 and people think you're flying a model airplane) and you want something convenient.

I'm trying not to do a sales job on a Mini Ultra Stick but I just have to say it's so easy to throw this little airplane in the car, keep the wings on all the time - all you need is the airplane and transmitter. I've said before I put mine in the car and stop to fly on the way home from the grocery store. That's my routine nearly every day and it's so mind-boggling easy to fly all the time. And plus these little airplanes take up virtually no space to store.

I don't remember if you said if you lived in a dorm or off campus, but there is the LiPo charging issue. If my son had lived with someone in a dorm or when he rented a house off campus when he was in school I would have freaked out if someone was charging LiPos where he was. A friend of mine has a friend that burned his place down charging a LiPo. When I charge the one and only LiPo I have, I do it in the garage on a concrete floor. And even then if one of these things cuts loose it's like a firework going off - a self propelled rocket.

My suggestion, get a part-time job on campus, earn the three or four hundred bucks to get a little electric - get something just big enough to behave as a real airplane and not a foamy, find a place to fly about 1/3 bigger than a soccer field - and go have fun!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:42 PM
draftman1

great advice westcoast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.