Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First time flyer

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First time flyer

Old 06-29-2003, 02:38 AM
BriGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time flyer

Hey folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow will be my first time flying. Instructor is meeting me at the field 1:30 pm. He's bringing a trainer for me to practice with until I get one of my own. Still not sure which model I'm going to get. I took the advice of several and settled on a Avistar select, but the more people I talk to the more I'm advised to get the Sig Kadet Senior.

I'm looking forward to my first time at the controls, can't wait. Took my son to the field today to just watch the other guys fly, and to gage his reaction to everything. He loved it, and I have to admit watching everyone flying there stuff was a lot of fun. Seen a guy flying his Edge 540 33% scale, that was great. He did a lot of funky things with it. Impressive to say the least. Hope one day I can be as good.

Thats where I am so far. Wish me luck.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:42 AM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Default First time flyer

BriGuy,

Yea, nothing like that first flight!
It's great.
Have a good time and stick around on RCU.
Hang around the field, you will always learn something, always.

Good Luck
Bill

Oh, welcome to the obsession.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:44 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Default First time flyer

Yeah, welcome to RC Briguy. It's a wonderful addiction!

You won't find a better way then this to spend time with your son either.

Personally, I'd go with a more traditional trainer, like the Avistar. Don't get me wrong, the Kadet line is exceptional, and people have been learning to fly on them for years. But they are extremely docile planes, capable of less speed and aerobatics than a trainer, and you may become tired of it sooner.

If you do decide on the Kadet, be sure to modify it for ailerons. Three channels works fine on a Kadet, but you should learn with ailerons.

Just my opinion.
Dennis-
Old 06-29-2003, 11:45 AM
mabrown92-RCU

Default rcu

just remember RCU has tons of information to help get you in the air and keep you there. They've helped me a lot
Old 06-29-2003, 07:00 PM
bgorham

Default First time flyer

Best of luck, and wish you all of the success in the world. This hobby is a great thrill, and my wife sez that I am obsessed. I got my daughter into it (13), and she get's a kick out of it as well ... or maybe it is the boys that are at the club!?

Anyway, listen to these guys on RCU. Go for a trainer LT40, or Tower trainer .. and put the airmiles on it. I used a Nova 40 for my first bird and beat it to pieces with bad landings, and many oops's until I started to figure things out.

Good luck and enjoy yourself! Bo
Old 06-30-2003, 04:21 AM
MadScientist

Default First time flyer

One of the guys I'm training is flying a Sig senior, and it is slow and docile, which can be great for learning. Whatever you get, get a trainer, and realize that when you're done learning with it, chances are it will look like someone ran over it in the parking lot, with all of the abuse you'll give it. Trainers are supposed to teach you how to fly, and a slow plane with lots of wing area is easier to learn the basics, as it lands slow, turns slow,etc.

My trainer was a Balsa USA Stick 40 plus, which turned out to be a great little plane, and very rugged as well. Pick one that you and your trainer like and have fun.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:14 AM
sugarfoot

Default First time flyer

BRIGUY,

Possitively go for a trainer with ailerons. Many great trainers out there, but I am very impressed with our members LT40. You will lose much experience by getting a plane without the ailerons. I too am still flying a trainer. And like MADSCIENTIST already stated, it looks as if someone ran over it in a parking lot. Ahh, but that is not a bad thing. You see, I have no experience in building either, and the little mishaps that caused damage has been a wonderful thing in that I have now learned on my own how to do some of the rebuilding of this and that. After my first firewall crush, I was about to throw it in the trash, but then I thought to myself.."hey, all these other guys seem to be able to make repairs, why not at least try. I've already lost the plane as far as I am concerned". Well, low and behold, I repaired it on my own (boy, was I amazed) and it flew just as well as if not better than before. It may not be pretty anymore, but it flys beautifully and I am not sorry about how it looks. As a matter of fact, I am proud to see that there is something that I can do after all. And again, remember, I have had no experience with wood building up to this point. I think that you too, will have a ball with this hobby.

Sugarfoot
Old 06-30-2003, 10:25 AM
BriGuy

Default First time flyer

Thanks Guys,

Like I said, it was my first time yesterday flying, before then I've never flew at all, and it was a little more difficult keeping that bird straight and level in it's turns, than I had thought. I do wish the instructor had used the cord rather than just sharing a controller. When I Would get into trouble he would snatch it away from me. I know it was necessary to do this to correct my errors, but it sure didn't help my confidence level much. lol,,

Anyway I had fun regardless, and I look forward to becoming a little more proficient in the ski. Talk to everyone later. Time to do that dreaded thing called WORK. You know...the thing that gets in the way of doing the thing you really want, but makes what you really want possible. l0l

See ya
Brian
Old 06-30-2003, 11:56 AM
MadScientist

Default First time flyer

Yup- this stuff is a little harder to do than most people think, but that's when it gets fun.

What type of transmitter are you using? You might want to invest in a buddy box and a trainer cord. I get mine from a LHS, and for a buddy box, you can get them super cheap (10 to 20 bucks). depending on what cord you need, about 12 to 15 dollars is the norm. As you progress, it's nicer to use this system, as your instructor can let you try to recover from mistakes, and instantly take control if that's what is needed. A minimal investment, and when you get to the point where you can instruct, you'll have the tools to do it.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Tazzyboy

Default First time flyer

Go with a buddy box. Don't hand your transmitter back and forth. I have seen a few planes go down like that,chasing the controls after it gets handed to you . Relax have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:01 AM
ykol20

Default First time flyer

Just a bit of advise, If your instructor has a trainer to "train" you on, you might consider getting something a little better than a trainer. You can always use a trainer cord on your nice plane untill you get used to it.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default First time flyer

Purchase a cord and then borrow a second transmitter. You need to learn how to correct ytour own mistakes without loosing the plane.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Crashem

Default First time flyer

The big trainer debate continues. My opinion most trainers are so similar in performance that choosing one is really a matter of going to the LHS and grabbing it off the shelf.

Don't over analyze the choice too much its more a matter of instructor skill and student aptitude.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:16 PM
MadScientist

Default First time flyer

Yes Crashem, Like I said,

Just get a trainer. Go learn to fly. After that ( maybe 2 months) you can get a prettier airplane. Trainers are easy to fly, so why not get one?
Old 07-03-2003, 02:26 AM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Default First time flyer

I've got a Kadet LT 40 and I've been happy with it. I just soloed today!

I'm not sure why some people are so down on trainers. This plane can do loops, rolls, and even stall turns. It certainly is not an aerobatic superstar, but until I have mastered what this plane is capable of doing I don't NEED a "better" plane.

Just my 2 cents

Kerry
Old 07-04-2003, 05:03 AM
the_plane_man03

Default First time flyer

I have been off my trainers for a few months because they chrashed and i got an arow 40 ARF and a slow fly mustang and i have a O.S 40LA in that. A few weeks ago a sky world 40 was given to me and i am flying that and that is a good trainer it is 6yr old but it flys good
Old 07-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default First time flyer

Congradulations on your SOLO!