Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

build from plans

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

build from plans

Old 10-03-2009, 01:34 PM
loserr
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build from plans

I have a .46 left from my crash of a perfect SigLT 40. I would like to try and build (my first) airplane from plans. I would like inexpensive and easy for my first try. Also I would like something that would look nice. Any suggestions? It needs to be easy, I don't have many tools and I have no experience.. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts
Default RE: build from plans

Hi Steve

Do you know any experienced modellers? If so they could help you to build a Telemaster 40 or Senior Telemaster will suit your engine and you can get the plans from RCM or from Hobby-Lobby. Ok I know I'm biased.

A Sig Kadett Senior would also be a good choice.

Happy Landings.

DD
Old 10-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are quite a few planes that meet your specs.

Are you interested in a sport or a scale model ?

Do you want a high wing, low wing, etc ?

Do you want a fast plane, an aerobatic plane or one one to just cruise around with ?

What tools do you have ? Do you have any power tools - scroll saw,band saw, etc. ?

If you can narrow it down a bit it would help. 95% of my planes are plan built. Here are a couple of photos. These are all powered by 46 2 strokes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93075.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1287404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92197.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1287405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53061.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1287406  
Old 10-03-2009, 02:08 PM
GaryHarris

Steve, you will need tools and if you use the search function here on RCU, you will learn which tools youll need. And I would suggest another LT 40 as your first build. RC Ken did a first rate job explaining the build here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

SSE is a easy build. I don't think it's best 2nd plane after the LT 40, but it can be done. I have 55AX on mine, but another flyer at club has one with 46 magnum and it fly's just fine. As long as it looks good to you then it looks good. I like mine
Old 10-03-2009, 02:30 PM
goirish

If you want an easy build and one that flys great, look at the plans for Not-for-sale. Ebay Startpoint is the site. I have two of them scratch built and both of them are very gentle . One has a OS -46 the other has a maganum 91 4s. Here is a picture of the 91
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74994.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	1287415  
Old 10-03-2009, 03:17 PM
jrcaster

Build from plans is a really big step for a beginner, as are mid and low wing aircraft.

You might consider building a kit, the Sig Kavalier is a really good flying airplane. It is a semisymetrical shoulder wing so it fly's similar to a trainer, with better speed and aerobatics but manageable. It also lands smoother than a trainer. The Sig kits are craftsman kits so there is some shaping to do, and this will help you to transition to plans building.

If you are set on plans, you may want to check out the ugly sticks.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:21 PM
GaryHarris

Guys. Lets go back the the OP's original post and examine it.

I have a .46 left from my crash of a perfect Sig LT 40. I would like to try and build (my first) airplane from plans. I would like inexpensive and easy for my first try. Also I would like something that would look nice. Any suggestions? It needs to be easy, I don't have many tools and I have no experience.. Thanks.

I guess it's open to interpetation, but my assumpion is Steve is completly new.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:25 PM
goirish

I'm sure he is new, but I was just responding to his request. Build first plane from plans. I don't think that is the way to go, especially with limited tools,knowlege and help.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No kidding, try this, build first few planes from kits!! Then think about building an easy plane like a Hots from plans. A bit of skill at building and understanding first, gathering some tools as you go along then doing some thinking about it.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

An ugly stick would be my recomendation. See here for more information http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2769063/tm.htm

An easy build and a good flyer.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:22 PM
mikenlapaz

do some kits firsts. my 2 cents
Old 10-04-2009, 07:44 PM
loserr
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I/m going to inventory my tools and look at the Telemaster and a sig product. I will also get some help from the local club gang. Thanks again..
Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very good choices and you don't need much in the way of tools for kit building at all. No power tools required at all!!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
SeamusG

Steve,

I went through a similar sequence. My 1st plane was a Kadet Senior ARF with an OS 46. I replaced it with another ARF (Avistar) so that I could continue flying quickly. At the same time I asked my LHS for a good 1st kit. The owner is an excellent builder himself. He recommended a SIG kit as the plans are excellent, the technical support is excellent and the wood stock supplied is very good. I chose a 4Star60 kit (but Ihad a Saito 91 sitting on the shelf). A 4Star40 kit might work well with your 46. It is exclusively laser cut which means that the fit of the parts will be excellent. If the kit has die cut parts (wing ribs) you will have to spend a lot of time cutting and trimming parts for accuracy. I just finished building a SIG LT-40. Very enjoyable build. I followed RCKen's "Pay It Forward LT-40 build".

Perhaps while selecting a model to build, search the "Kit Building" forum for a specific model and read the build threads. Some are pretty long but they will give you an excellent idea of the build process, problems encountered, solutions to address the problems, etc.

Good luck!

Btw, error towards ensuring that things are straight. And, don't be afraid of starting you own build thread so that the guys with mega experience can share their thoughts with you when you need 'em.