Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Just coming back

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Just coming back

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 PM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just coming back

I used to frequent this board and was involved in RC flying for a little while until about early 2006 or so and haven't done anything with it since. I have a kit built Sig LT-40 that has 11 buddy box flights on it. I did solo on the last flight in that I was sole manipulator, but the buddy box was still hooked up, so it wasn't a REAL solo.

Last time my OS Max .40 ran, it was 3 years ago. I didn't put anything into it to preserve it, just shut down, drained the tank and let the muffler drip out, then closed the throttle up and plugged the muffler hole. It has been inside the A/C for all this time, so I doubt it has any problems.

During my kit build, I installed the power switch on the exhaust side of the fuse by error and the switch gets pretty wet with fuel once I land. I need to issue an "A/D" on that and switch it over to the other "dry" side. Also, I figure after 3 years, I ought to get a new battery, eh?

I'm a full scale pilot. Part of the reason I quit R/C was that I went professional and flew for a regional airline for a couple years, but got laid off at the end of 2008. I am now working on becoming a CPA as a back up career and am CFI'ing on the weekends just to stay in the air and happy more than the money, really. I consider R/C flying to be an extension of my voracious appetite for flight.

I always loved this site and hope to stick around for a while this time.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Just coming back

I too have been way from RC for just over a year, between some health problems and getting laid off in Jan of 09, just couldn't afford it. Took early retirement and things seem to be leveling out so am getting the birds, [Quickie 500, 60 size U-Can-Do and a Somethiing Extra] back in flight condition. Hope to start flying around the first of the year.

I have kept following this Forum and have learned alot along the way.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
ppkk

Welcome back folks. I too, have quit the hobby twice but somehow seem to find my way back! This is a great hobby and lots of fun.

Fly safe!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one ever quits... they just take a temporary hiatus. Eventually the lure of buzzing props and balsa bring you back. And of course we are always happy to see you again
Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to have you back Bryris!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I too once quit the hobby due to time constraints.  I solo'd around 1989.  I then took a job that required alot of travel.  So that was that.  I then built a PT 60 around 2002.  I flew around a dozen flights on that until work once again got in the way.  I recently semi retired and now I am ready to "solo" that same a/c again.  It sat for almost 7 years.  I had to replace the reciever battery and the flight box battery.  But the OS 65 LA runs great on the bench.  Sooo.  Sunday should be my first day back in the air.  Man am I nervous.  Its like I ve never flown before.  Good luck ghuys.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhh, all of us that love airplanes come back (if we ever have to leave).

Moving the switch is a good idea.
A new battery would depend on how the present one takes a charge, and if it does, what it does when cycled. Bottom line however, is a new battery is a GOOD idea.

Prime the engine good and wet and turn it over by hand. Do this before going to fly.

It's simple to do beforehand. Check the glowplug to see if it's plugged with goo.

When it frees up, with the short time it sat, it'll probably be good to go, but 1st run ought to be low throttle for a good while. Listen and you'll probably hear it pickup speed by itself after a minute at low throttle.

Good to be back ain't it.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Steve Steinbring

Bryris,

Welcome back! There are several good clubs in your area. The club I'm most familiar with is the Imperial R/C Club who is the host club at Top Gun doing a great deal of the worker bee details for Frank Tiano during the event. They are located just out of Bartow a nice group of folks to be associated with.

Blue skies and soft landings!

Steve

Old 10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
bryris

I used to be a member of the imperial RC club. Never felt right there for some reason. I'm a fairly social guy, but just never fit in around there. When a new guy comes, its always nice to get assigned a mentor or something. The one go-to guy who can help you, meet you to fly with you, etc. I always felt I was inconveniencing them and got that vibe back. But I could have misread things.

I am a full scale flight instructor and take that mentor approach with my students. I meet them, give them all my time, show them around the flight school, introduce them to people, give them my e-mail address, phone number, with instructions to call me anytime with problems or questions, etc. With the R/C flying, its more cold turkey. Just show up and try to bum off someone else's time.

I spend a lot of time in Winter Haven and wouldn't mind flying over there. Are the Lucern Flyers around anymore? I cannot find a website.

My father in law has a big piece of property about 15 minutes North of the Lakeland airport. My ultimate goal with RC is to be able to fly out there on my own a good bit. There is nothing to hit and nothing to damage except the airplane itself. However, I need several more hours of mentoring before I am ready to roll on my own. And I'd still want to be a member of a club, but just not fly there exclusively.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Steve Steinbring

ORIGINAL: bryris

I am a full scale flight instructor and take that mentor approach with my students. I meet them, give them all my time, show them around the flight school, introduce them to people, give them my e-mail address, phone number, with instructions to call me anytime with problems or questions, etc. With the R/C flying, its more cold turkey. Just show up and try to bum off someone else's time.

Bryris,

I'm a club R/C instructor, please understand at most clubs its a bit different than full scale instruction. Mainly because at most clubs its volunteer on the instructors part (free instruction). With that stated therefore most instruction is done at the convenience of the instructors schedule which maybe what your eluding to. Personally one of the biggest turnoffs I have when I volunteering my time is to have a student demand that I meet their schedule with everything at their convenience. Understand that there are always compromises and I do try to help out as much as possible. Another pet gripe is to get to the field and not have the student show on time or be a no show. As a retired military pilot I take a dim view of being taken advantage as its my time, my gas, and expertise that I am willing to give away. Frankly I don't have to instruct I have my own airplanes to fly and other things to do. Don't get me wrong there are rewards to instructing or most of us would not continue, and its good for the club.

I'm sure that you can find a mentor to fly with be it Imperial or some other club close. I have several past students that have become close friends. We often get together to spend time doing more than just flying or building R/C. I suggest you contact several club presidents to see what is offered in the way of instruction. Many clubs have certain days when the instructors are at the field and available.

Steve
Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 PM
bryris

Some very good points, Steve. Maybe my expectations are too.....commercial.