Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Regulator connections

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Regulator connections

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator connections

I'm ready to install a regulator for the first time. I have a lithium ion battery, a regulator, and a JR switch with charge jack, plus a Spektrum receiver, links and pictures below.
I plan to connect the battery to the switch, and then the switch to the regulator, and the regulator to the receiver. Is this right? If I connect a charger to the charge jack this way, will it be okay?
Also, I've never done this before and have extra wires on the regulator. Do I just leave the extra ones dangling? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/MPIR6VNEW.html
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/AH2CDLIION.html
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/JRSWITCH.html
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMAR7600

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65823.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1326486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12094.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1326487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69360.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1326488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56371.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1326489  
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Regulator connections

The TBM website description of that item covers the extra wires on the regulator.

The new ones have two connectors on the input and output side.  It was designed to share the load since these RC connectors are good for 5A continuous.  If customer wants to plug two battery packs to the input side, it is OK.  But, the two packs has to be identical packs - same brand, capacity, and voltage, and in same charging status.  There is NO isolation between the two packs so both packs will be drawn simultaneously.  This is NOT a battery back up.
So yes, those extra wires are just that, extra. Use a zip tie to tie up the wires neatly and tuck them out of the way inside of the fuselage.

As far as charging, no you will not be able to charge through the regulator. You will need to unplug the battery and plug it directly into the charger. This is best anyway when dealing with a Lithium chemistry battery as the charge currents can be high depending on the size of the battery. You'll want to install it in the plane so that it's easy to access so you can unplug it and charge it directly. Now I know there are some that will say that it's not necessary, but I prefer to be safe and I would completely remove the battery from the plane to charge it. I place all lithium batterys such as this in a Lipo-sack when I charge them so if the battery does vent and catch fire it won't burn down my truck and my house. Also, Li-po's and Li-ions should never be left unattended when charging. But as I said, some will say they charge in the plane all the time with no problems. But to me it's not worth risking losing my plane, my car, or my house to save the couple of minutes it takes to get the battery out of the plane.

Ken
Old 12-04-2009, 01:01 PM
cappaj1

Is there an alternate wiring method that would allow charging through the charge jack and bypassing the regulator? I bought a used plane with an existing lithium ion/regulator setup and it's set up this way. I would only do this while watching the plane charge and charging at less than 1C to be safe. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

If you have an existing plane setup then simply setup the new plane the same way the old plane is set up.

Ken

Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM
cappaj1

I took a look at the existing plane and it appears to be a different type regulator. Instead of just input and output wires it appears to have a third wire with a 'charge jack' on it, for reading voltages and charging.

I sent an email to Tech-Aero asking for info and hoping for a link to a manual. I think it's [link=http://d7kx18lgvr3p4.cloudfront.net/PLR5%20Manual.pdf]this [/link]one but am not sure. I'll charge the battery through the balancing lead for now with the battery pulled from the plane for safety.

As for the plane I asked the original question about, I still don't know if it's possible to wire a regulator which just has in and out wires so that a voltage check jack can be used while everything is connected. I guess I'll check with TBM on that one but if anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
cappaj1

What's a good lipo charging sack that isn't too expensive for a 2 cell pack? I found [link=http://myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=VNR1642&itemname=lipo_safety_charge_sack_large_9x11_5_]this[/link] one but it's sold out so I'm looking for other ideas. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those extra wires could be used as outputs to deliver more current to receiver if you have a vacant channel... each pig tail connected can deliver about 3 more amps ...for example i have a fromeco badger switch with dean in connected to a 5200 battery via deans connector...the output of the switch is deans connected to the sahara regulator with 2 jr outputs both connected to receiver..

http://fromeco.org/Products/04FRCWO-434s/Default.aspx
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db84785.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1326797  
Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

MetallicaJunkie,
Like I said above, it explains on the product page for the regulator what the extra wires are for. Basically they are for 2 battery input and 2 receivers

Cappaj,
 If you are going to charge through the balance plug you could get a different switch and mount and then put the balance plug in the jack. That would let you plug directly into the side of the plane and charge like you want to do.

I like both the Dubro and Great Planes charge jacks.

Dubro Kwik Switch/Charging Jack

Great Planes Switch/Charge Jack Mounting Set

Hope this helps

Ken